The following is a guest post from regular contributor, Melanie at Melanie Makes.
I have really done it this time. I’ve set the bar so high for myself, I’ll never be able to top this dessert. Seriously. Amazing. Stuff. Let me put it to you this way. This dessert is a combination of a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie, cheesecake and chocolate pie all in one. Layer after glorious layer. There’s a reason why the word delight is in the title of this recipe!
When I was young, Chocolate Delight was a dessert I remember mom making to take to holiday gatherings at my grandmother’s house. I loved it because it had chocolate pudding and Cool Whip. As a kid, you really can’t top those two ingredients. At that age, they could be considered food groups. The bottom layer of this dessert was a flour and butter mixture, that wasn’t really remarkable. It was simply the base that held all the delectable ingredients on top.
In my book, there is one flavor combination that reigns supreme – peanut butter and chocolate. Everything pales in comparison. So when I was randomly thinking of my mom’s Chocolate Delight recipe last week, I began wondering how I could kick it up a notch by somehow adding peanut butter to the ingredient list. Friends, the end result is one I’m super proud of. I don’t pat myself on the back often, but this dessert definitely has me giving myself kudos.
I said sianara to the flour and butter base layer of my mom’s recipe and swapped it out for a layer of peanut butter chocolate chip cookie! This base is thick enough to stand up to the other three layers that are added to it and yet it doesn’t get rock hard in the fridge where the dessert is stored. Even after four days in our fridge – the time it took for Andy and I to demolish it as I really didn’t share but a few bites with my children – it was just as good as day one.
No soggy dessert here, my friends!
Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Delight
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 2 3.4 ounce boxes instant chocolate fudge pudding
- 3 cups milk
- dark chocolate bar for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together brown sugar, peanut butter, butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to bowl and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Press dough into an even layer in greased 9x13 pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and center is cooked through. Cool completely.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, mix together cream cheese, half of whipped topping and powdered sugar. Spread on top of cooled cookie crust.
- In another bowl, whisk pudding and milk together and spread on top of cream cheese mixture.
- Carefully spread remaining whipped topping over pudding and chill until ready to serve. If desired, garnish with grated chocolate before serving.
Those layers? I swoon. Absolute perfection if I do say so myself.
We just finished off this dessert in my house two nights ago and I’m already planning on making another when my husband’s parents visit this weekend. It really is that good!
Although I guess that means I’ll actually have to share.
Looking for additional recipes to add to your menu plan? Here are a few of my family’s favorites:
I’d love to connect with you online! You can find Melanie Makes on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
See you next month!
You can find Melanie online at Melanie Makes where she documents cooking, creating and caring for her family. Repeat. Melanie lives in Cleveland, OH, with her husband, three children, two cats and Lizzie, the 15 year old turtle.
Linking up: Design Dining and Diapers, House of Rose, Thirty Handmade Days, Six Sisters Stuff, Your Homebased Mom, Our Table for Seven, The Recipe Critic, Chef in Training