One Organizing Product Every Room Should Have

What Every Room Needs in Your Home at orgjunkie.com

I don’t think I’ve blogged about this before because honestly I thought everyone did this. Only recently has it come to my attention that in fact no not everyone uses this one simple product for keeping rooms tidy.  It’s inexpensive, you can buy them at the dollar store and it makes a huge difference to the organization of your household.  So what is this one organizing product that I think every room in your home should have?

A waste basket!

Yes it’s as simple as that.  Absolutely every room in my house has one except the living room.  All the kid’s rooms, my office, my bedroom, the rec room, the laundry room, the bathrooms, they all have a small garbage bin.  Why?  Because it keeps garbage (you know all those bits of paper, used tissues, clothes tags, food wrappers, etc) from hitting the floor or collecting on dressers and nightstands.  Plus you always have a puke bucket handy in the middle of the night for the kids.  I’m just saying.  It happens!

Trust me, it’s as life changing as having a garbage bag in your car and  not sorting your laundry.  Oh ya baby!

So here’s what we do.  Every week as part of my 9 year old’s chore list, he takes a black garbage bag and goes around to every room and dumps the contents from the waste bins into the black bag. He then takes it outside to the trash bin.  We line each waste basket with a grocery bag so that it’s quick and easy to collect and keeps them clean too.

One Organizing Product Every Room Needs

When I asked my girlfriend why she didn’t do this especially in her bedroom, she said it was because she had a garbage in her bathroom. But when I then asked her if she routinely picked up her garbage and brought it there she said no.  We all get a little lazy sometimes (I know I do!) so why not set your family up for success and make it easy for them to toss their trash.

Keep your rooms tidy, buy a waste basket for each room today!

Filed under: Containerizing

Comments

14 Responses to One Organizing Product Every Room Should Have

Judi says

I’m glad to hear that I am not the only one with a wastebasket in every room. It sure makes keeping things clean a lot easier, especially with kids. I have even managed to discreetly sneak one into the living room beside hubby’s favorite chair & is not visible to guests.

Shawnda says

Seriously? I can’t imagine not having a waste basket in every room. We actually have 3 in the living room. We are a family of allergy-ridden people. Every common spot to sit in the living room and family room have a box of kleenex and a trash can. I can’t imagine setting myself up for failure more than expecting everyone in my family and myself to get up from a comfy spot in order to throw away trash. And there’d be piles of used kleenex and banana peels sitting on the furniture waiting for the next trip to the trash? Yeah…no thanks!

Jessica [Havok] says

We have a trash bin in almost every room – kitchen, both bathrooms, and office. Only reason there isn’t one in the living room and bedroom is because, one, the living room is connected to the kitchen, and it’s the same distance from the couch to the bin as it is from the fridge to the bin, so it’s like sharing. And, two, because there is never really anything we ever need to throw away in the bedroom. But having a bin in the office? Oh, ya, can’t live without it! 😀

Stacy Mize says

Great idea! I will currently need one in my bedroom and now the living room. Thank you to the writer and comment on the living room:-) I also line 10-15 bags inside of each can. Opened and ready to go once one is removed! That also helps if a spill happens because you have another bag inside to protect it! I do all my vans this way including the kitchen:-) Plus who wants to go around and line all those cans again:-)

Tara says

Oh I only have one waste bin and that’s in the kitchen but I end up with plastic bags everywhere argh! I was thinking about getting a waste basket for each of my kids as part of their Christmas presents full of useful things inside xx

Chelsea says

We have one in every room, except the living room (we have a dog and there’s no safe place there). In the master bedroom, we actually have two, one on each side of the bed. My husband can empty his pockets of receipts without them ending up on the floor, but I don’t have to walk around to his side to throw something away. Once a week, I walk the house with a garbage bag and empty them all.

Laura Wittmann says

We have one on either side of our bed as well Chelsea! Makes life so much easier 🙂

Cathy says

I had hoped that I wasn’t the only person who did this! I also keep a wastebasket right beside my sewing table, so threads can be immediately cut and trashed.

Marcia Francois says

100% agree and people think I’m crazy for doing this…. they’re crazy for not 😉

Laura Wittmann says

I know people think I’m crazy too but we can be crazy together 🙂 Just another way we are so much alike!!

Brianna says

Where oh where did you find that adorable waste bin in the picture??

Laura Wittmann says

That one’s from the dollar store (Dollarama here in Canada).

Comments