The Freak Vs. the Freezer…

Often my organizing projects will start out of annoyance. Take yesterday for instance when I opened the freezer door and had an ice pack fall out on my foot. Ohhh I hate that! I immediately had to stop what I was doing and take care of this little problem. I was ANNOYED….stupid freezer. It’s such a dumb design really with only that one slim bar supposedly holding everything in….yeah right! Everything just falls out underneath……onto my foot……grrrr.

This was a job for some baskets and I had just the ones I needed on hand from the dollar store!!!! (don’t fall down from shock, I mean I hardly use them 🙂 )

I added 5 baskets to the inside of my freezer door and what a difference it makes! Sorry I don’t have a before picture for you but when I’m annoyed like that, watch out. I get into the zone and I’m a crazy lady on a mission.

Nothing’s falling on my toes now….I win!!!

Filed under: Kitchen, Organizing Solutions

Comments

38 Responses to The Freak Vs. the Freezer…

Tina says

Ok, this could be a divine finding for me. I’m terrible at organizing. I’m a neat freak, but it only looks good on the outside. Underneath chaos is hidden in pretty boxes and baskets. I’ll be visiting again, taking advice and possibly seeking it. Thanks for being out there you organizer you!

Karen@FamilyBriefs.com says

This looks great! Since I have the same problem in my big freezer, I’m off to find some baskets!

Jenn says

Wow – I never even thought of organizing my freezer…and it needs it so badly! Thanks for the ideas!

The Lazy Organizer says

Ah, it’s beautiful! And those baskets fit so perfectly.

Jana (sidetrack'd) says

What a great idea! So simple, yet something I never would have thought of. I’ve been putting off cleaning out/organizing my freezer, but now I’m feeling inspired. 🙂

April says

I have got to go get some baskets – NOW! That is going to make life wonderful – thanks!

Susanne says

Okay I have a question. It’s probably dumb but do the baskets not end up cracking and breaking from being frozen? Is there a certain brand that would prevent this?

Family O'Foxes says

great job.

Leaving this post open bothers me….I so feel like I need to close it so then your freezer door won’t be open. I guess that is from growing up and having my Mom yell shut the fridge/freezer door. hee hee!!!

I did my tiny cupboard the other day. I can’t believe how much I pulled out of it. I had to make a slide-show out of it.

thanks for inspiring all of us,

~Amy

Cyndi says

A close second for me (right behind those annoying something-fell-out-of-the-freezer moments) are those “well-WHY-didn’t-I-think-of-that??” moments, which I’m having right now. I’ve got jillions of those little baskets! Thanks!

Org Junkie says

Susanne, I’m not so sure about them cracking, I guess time will tell. But all five baskets were only $3.00 so if they crack I figure I can change them out inexpensively if I have too.

Notice I didn’t show you guys the inside of my freezer, I haven’t done that yet…lol.

Laura

Mrs. Incredible says

I think we have the same fridge/freezer, I hate mine! such narrow little shelves. Good idea. Didn’t know they made baskets to fit there, where did you find them?

Org Junkie says

These were just purchased from the dollar store. The long narrow ones were only 2 for $1.00. Great deal!

Melody says

OK,I have been reading your blog daily for months now. Its time I left a comment to say -thank you!! You rock. Hard. I love all your tips,cant get half the cool gadgets here but one can always try. I finally made a huge dent in the chaos of my garage last week. I plan to post before and afters on my blog when its complete. Will let you know when that it and hope you pop in and see what you inspired! Hugs to ya!

Dawn says

I never thought of using baskets for the freezer or fridge. Great idea. I’m definitely going to do this.

Jen says

Very smart…thanks for the tip……I’ll use mine this way too.

Lisa says

I love the basket idea for the freezer. I never would have thought of it!

Susie says

CLEVER! The ice pack hitting the toes thing happens to me all the time. What a neat idea!

Tara Sloan says

You are so clever! Any ideas for a side by side?

Annie says

AHH! I almost through my little bins like this away! Now they are going straight into the freezer door! Why didn’t I think of that?
    Thanks for the idea!

Org Junkie says

Tara I’m sure there must be baskets to fit even a side by side LOL. Gotta love them!

Kili @ Live Each Moment says

I love being organized, really I do. I just don’t have the energy right now….

🙂

Barb says

OK. THAT’S a great idea, Laura. Stuff falls out of my freezer door all the time. That ice pack looks like it would hurt. This is one of the best ideas you’ve had in ages.

I can’t believe I never thought of this. It seems so obvious, doesn’t it?

Barb says

Geez. How pompous can I possibly sound? It’s not that I don’t think ALL your organizing ideas are great because you know I do. I just got so EXCITED over this one.

Not that I don’t get excited over ALL your ideas. Why, of course I do. I’m just going to slink away now, ‘K?

LOL

Gretchen says

Laura, you may have just provided the biggest public service yet. :)My mom, God rest her, had a pound of frozen chili (in a ziploc bag) fall on her foot years ago, and it cracked three or four of her metatarsals–the bones on top of your foot. Now, not saying that everyone need to dodge their frozen items, but that was sure painful for her.

Qtpies7 says

Now I totally get using the baskets in the freezer and all, I mean, they are really handy and a safety feature, I agree.
    But organizing your popsicles is a tad on the obsessive compulsive side there. Mmmhmmm.
    LOL My kids would have me committed if I started organizing that deeply.

Jennifer, Snapshot says

That is so awesome. I don’t even want to tell you what my freezer looks like.

mistihollrah says

This looks great! Cleaning out, defrosting and reoganizing my freezer is on my to-do list for this week. I have freezer food exchange & always need to sort & reorganize to make room for my goodies!

Amy says

I am often inspired to organize based on annoyance, too.

Marcia says

Love it – you know what I used in my freezer the other day? An oblong biscuit (cookie) tin. I have 2 round and this one. And we eat them to quickly to ever have 3 full so I repurposed that one in the freezer. I must take a pic and show you. It is beautiful. My two loaves of bread fit in there beautifully. I eat Slim-Slice bread and you don’t often get it so when I do find some, I buy 2 – 3 loaves and freeze. Anyway!!!

My emails are undelivering so that’s why I’m not responding to your comments. I’m not being rude. I thought it was my signature (free Organise book) so took that out and it still undelivered. So..here’s what I wrote

“Laura, I was also a bit apprehensive but don’t worry – I got lots of points for the number of blogs I blog on and also for the fact I read a lot of personal AND professional blogs :-)”

And then… with my webhost I have a free Chat room which I use for coaching clients or any chats (Annie and I used that to chat) since I’ve been too busy to learn how to Skype. I’ve downloaded but that’s that. I think we should have an online chat (if you’re keen, that is).

Rebecca says

Invention comes from necessity {or something like that} and organization comes from annoyance. Works for me!

Twisted Cinderella says

Looks great! I have plastic baskets in my fridge to keep my fruits and veggies sorted.

Debi says

This is one of those things that makes me feel like a total moron. It’s such an ingenious idea…and I just have to slap myself upside the head for not having thought of it myself!

Munchkin Land says

LOL! =) I do understand about the “zone” though. I get that way too.

Amanda says

Okay, this may be the dumbest question in your opinion, but I’ll try. We keep all freezer packs in our deep freeze or outside of the freezer until two days before we need them. Freezer space is dear to us since we buy huge amounts of meat in bulk. Does your lifestyle permit you to rotate freezer packs, so that your freezer isn’t overwhelmed by them? Don’t mean to question the “expert.” just curious 🙂

Org Junkie says

Hi Amanda, believe me I’m no expert and that is a great question! I should have explained why I have so many and why I keep them there. My son has food allergies so we often have to bring his food with us where ever we go and often we purchase frozen food in the next town that isn’t available here for him. So that is why I have so many. I keep them in my fridge freezer only because I’m too lazy to go all the way downstairs to my deep freeze when we need them 🙂
    Laura

Debbie says

I know this is an old post, but I just got here from Food on the Table. What a great idea! I had a great pyrex jar of crushed garlic that I painstakingly peeled and crushed myself fall and break this week! Oooooh that was annoying! Baskets are definitely the way to go.

Comments