Two Commitments I Am Making in 2017

As is a common practice at this time of the year, many people set goals or commitments of what they hope to accomplish over the next 12 months. I’ve read many blog posts and watched a number of YouTube videos over the last week and wow there are some ambitious ladies out there with their big goal setting ways. It’s very impressive. I totally see the value of doing it but the whole idea kind of exhausts me if I’m being perfectly honest. And here’s what I really want to know. Why doesn’t anyone ever set some simple goals like finding the perfect mascara or a new delicious tasting potato chip? Ha, those are my kind of life goals!

Two Commitments I Am Making in 2017 at I'm an Organizing Junkie blog

I’m very careful about what I commit to. I think that it’s too easy to get caught up in making commitments to so many things that before we know it we are in way over our heads. Being a wife, raising kids and maintaining a home are HUGE commitments that already take up so much of my time and I always want to be careful about what competes for that time. But every once and awhile I do set some reasonable pursuits that I commit to. A few years ago I committed to walking my treadmill for 30 minutes a day and I stuck to it for an entire year. Two years ago I committed to following the Paleo diet as a way to manage my Rheumatoid Arthritis without medication and that is still a priority in my life.

So this year, after some careful consideration, I’ve decided to commit to two things that I’m really hoping become life long daily habits. I’m also going to share two things that I’m going to work towards this year but there will be no daily commitment attached to them because I want to be mindful of my limits.

So I’ll share my commitments list with you and I hope you’ll share yours with me too!

Two Daily Commitments

Drink 2L of Water Every Day:

This is something I struggle with for no other reason than I hate going to the bathroom all the time because it interrupts my day. Haha. Anyway to make this commitment actually happen I needed a daily reminder of how much I need to drink before the day is done. So similar to how effective the Fitbit was for tracking my daily steps, my new water bottle (from Walmart) is also a constant visual. It’s not pretty but it holds just over 2L and I fill it first thing in the morning. I know that I can’t go to bed until it’s done and y’all it’s so hard. I get busy working and I forget. In fact just after I typed that last sentence I realized I hadn’t drank any water in awhile and got up to do so. However it’s getting easier by the day because I’m noticing how much better I feel and that is huge motivation in and of itself.

Daily Commitments: Drinking 2L of Water

Read the Bible in One Year:

I’d like to be more disciplined in this area and as you’ve probably figured out visual tracking really helps me. So at the beginning of this year I discovered the reading plans in the YouVersion Bible app. One of those plans is a one year daily reading plan. Each day they provide you with a list of scripture that you check off once completed. Once all your reading requirements are met for the day, you get a check mark over the date to show it’s done and keep you on track. I’ve never met a check mark I didn’t like! :) I’m 10 days in and loving it. You can start at any time so check it out if this is something that interests you.

Daily 2017 Commitments: Reading Bible App

The two things I’m going to work towards are:

Watercolor Painting:

I absolutely love watercolor art. It’s so beautiful and I’ve been inspired to give it a try from a few different Instagram pages I follow. They make it look so easy but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a challenge for me and I’m a wee bit scared. I’m scared I will stink at it so I keep putting it off. But I’ve bought all the supplies including a step by step guide so I’m moving in the right direction. Now I just have to sit down and actually do it.

Making Videos:

I’ve wanted to add regular YouTube videos to my line up here for so long now. I’ve talked about it many times before. It would provide me with another avenue to help others get “hooked” on organizing. The problem is the editing. I can’t figure it out but I think I’ve found new user friendly software so that’s progress. Plus my 17 year old son has gifted me with my own little jingle that he made so I can create an intro. How sweet is that? So if you’ve got any tips or suggestions for me please let me know!

So that’s it for now. I’d love to hear the things you are working towards this year. Is getting organized one of those? Which area of your house is bothering you the most? How can I help?

Have a terrific weekend everyone!

Filed under: My Life

Comments

25 Responses to Two Commitments I Am Making in 2017

Kathy says

I keep several small bottles of water in the fridge and grab one to take in the car every time I leave the house. I don’t buy bottled water, I just refill them from the tap.

Seana Turner says

I am a fan of both of these. I try and start and end my day with water. I’ve read through the Bible in a year 3 times following an online program called Listening For God, which I highly recommend. Each year I used a different translation which I found very interesting. I could do it each year and it would never get old:)

Amy says

I struggle with consistently drinking water for the same reason. :)

Laura Wittmann says

It drives me crazy but it’s getting a bit better :)

DawnJoy says

I’m using the same reading app and LOVE IT.

Carol says

I struggle big time with drinking water so when I get serious about setting a goal of a certain number of oz. I set my kitchen timer for 30 minutes and take a drink every time the timer sounds. I also drink every time I finish going to the bathroom. When I do this I really do get a lot of water in me in one day.
    Good luck!

Becky L says

My goals are simple too. I do need to drink more water. More so when I’m at home. I think I drink more at work as there’s a water bottle with me at the register. One I have for iced tea that I drink on my first break when I scarf down my lunch at noon. I want to downsize my yarn stash by actually knitting this year. Also make a small quilt for my oldest granddaughter. Downsizing is a definite goal to deal with this year. Slowly going through things I’ve not used in awhile and not buying things to replace them. I remember when we were first married and we didn’t have alot of furniture or dishes I couldn’t wait to get more. Now there’s more and now I need to purge! I can do this. I think I need one of my friends to come help me or it will take forever! I perused a storage mag at Safeway before I walked away. I have no house like those. Happy weekend as well and stay warm. It’s been freezing here all week and not warm up til Tues. Our one inch of snow is slowly going away. Beauty in it though! :’} Becky

Laura Wittmann says

Those sound very do-able Becky, you can totally do it!!

Jeanine says

Yay for realistic goals – thanks for sharing! And how great is it to have a 17 year old son? I used to say that 17 was one of the hardest ages because there are so many decisions to help them with re: their future, but then I realized that the main reason I said that was because we adopted our daughter when our oldest son was a senior – No wonder I thought it was a crazy year! Now, our precious daughter will be 17 this year, and she is such a blessing and help as well – don’t know what I would do without her!

Laura Wittmann says

My son is such a hoot to be around, I am going to miss him terribly when he goes off to school :(

Pamela says

Love a short list of goals. Good luck and looking forward to a new year of organizing!

Kristin says

One of my biggest goals this year is to finish my BA/undergrad degree, majoring in English language and literature.

Some of my other goals are “shopping detox” (aka don’t buy stuff I don’t NEED), try to get a job and write/maintain a budget.

I know they sound a bit “boring”, but probably needed.

Bets says

Drinking more water has become an absolute necessity for my husband and I.
    My husband was in the hospital for several weeks so I spent quite a bit of time at their little “Bright Spot” cafĂ©. Every day their two water dispensers were filled with ice water which also had fresh berries, cucumber, oranges, etc. It was not only inviting to drink but it also looked so pretty on display.
    That’s what we’re going to do starting today!!

Laura Wittmann says

That sounds awesome, I do that too occasionally but mostly in the summer when it’s so hot out.

Aimee says

Those are great goals. I’m trying a healthy diet. The thing that keeps me on track is a fitness and nutrition journal. It has space for 8 weeks which will get me to the end of February. Because of that, I’m hoping my new habits of healthy eating and exercising will be a regular part of my routine.
    Aimee

Laura Wittmann says

It’s amazing how using these types of tools can be so effective! All the best to you with your goal Aimee :)

Kristine Sommers says

Terrific goals! I love to do scripture reading each day also. It makes for a better day! I’m striving to eat healthier and get more exercise each day. I need to drink more water, also It is easy to get busy and forget. I like your idea with the 2L bottle as a reminder. Thanks for sharing!

Comments