Making Extra Space in Your Home When There’s No Room!

The following is a guest post from regular contributor, Angie at Echoes of Laughter.

Hello Org Junkie Readers! I hope you have been well for the last 2 weeks. My spirits have been brightened by the thoughts of Spring not being far away.

Today I want to chat with you about something that I struggle with all the time…not having enough room in our very small house. Although I am organized and love to plan, sometimes things don’t fit just because the space wasn’t designed to work in such a way. There is just not an extra room, counter top or space to make the home  work seamlessly. And this often requires extra thought and creativity to cope with.

Making Extra Space In Your Home When There's No Room
Let’s chat first about my kitchen. My kitchen has limited counter space. As you can see, the microwave takes up the space beside the range. And then the everyday items take up their space.I really wanted a recipe board in my kitchen, but there is not a lot of wall space for one. I keep hanging things on the back of the pantry door, but they keep getting knocked off, so that is  not a good solution. So I had to get a little creative.

So I made one on the inside of a cupboard door with some cork tiles. It looks pretty and it’s functional and it’s a win-win, don’t you think? And it uses space that is already there.

When we received two different coffee machines as gifts, I was in a dilemma about where to keep them. My limited counter space was not a good option because it just made the kitchen feel really cluttered. I could have had something custom made, but it wasn’t in the budget. So again, I got creative and located these two narrow cabinets to make a beverage center in the hallway that opens to the kitchen. This also keeps traffic out of the working zone of my kitchen and the beverage center is closer to the dining table. Plus, it gave me more space for cookbooks and cups. Another win-win!

Another dilemma I faced was the lack of an extra bedroom for a home office. After some thinking and staring at blank walls and nooks, I created this little homeoffice nook at the top of our second floor landing using shelves and a desk. I actually really love it for it’s coziness and it’s location next to a big window. I took a space that was otherwise useless and made it into something totally functional. I love it when that happens!

So where I am going with this? Well, my advice is that sometimes we don’t need bigger houses or extra rooms. Sometimes we just need to tweak a space that is already there with a creative idea, or even just a cabinet. With a daughter going off to University soon, it is not likely we will ever move to a house that is bigger than what we have. But I am happily able to make do with the space we do have. Plus, I am 45 years old, and I am so NOT interested in a bigger house=more cleaning and organizing and maintenance. No. I am quite happy in our little house!

Have you had to come up with a creative solution to make your home work for you? Please share how you’ve gone about making extra space in your home…we all love creative ideas!

Angie bio
Angie’s blog, Echoes of Laughter, is all about filling your home with love and laughter. She loves creative projects, organizing & decorating, cooking, baking, and all things domestic. Angie lives in Alberta, Canada, with her husband and two great kids.

Linking up: House of Rose, Design Dining and Diapers, The 36th Avenue, Six Sisters Stuff

Filed under: Angie, Guest Bloggers, Kitchen, Office, Organizing Solutions
The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Comments

15 Responses to Making Extra Space in Your Home When There’s No Room!

Sarah says

These are great suggestions, but I have to say, living in a standard issue apartment, I would kill for that much kitchen counter space! We all have to make do with what we have. Cheers!

Bek says

I agree! You have probably double the counter space as my kitchen so I am jealous ;) Our entire house was set up poorly but these are some great tips! I especially like the coffee station just outside of the kitchen and out of my way. I have been utilizing Command hooks a lot for the tiny spaces and hanging oven mits, dish towels and such. My aprons hang inside the pantry door and the kids chore chart hangs on the tiny low wall space available. I love that they come in so many sizes and styles (white, brushed nickel, etc)

MelanieL says

I’ve always loved your desk nook and beverage station, they’re both a wonderful use of otherwise wasted space! i like your guest posts here too:)

Lani says

The little office space at the top of the stairs reminds of some of the spaces I’ve built sewing rooms!! My current one was an awkward space that my wonderful husband turned into the best sewing space ever!! Definitely a great use of an otherwise useless spot in our house!!

Heather {Woods of Bell Trees} says

OH UGH! i am in a constant struggle to find space for things, I feel like I can’t keep anything because where’s it going to go! Great ideas. Thanks!

Rachel says

As more and more clusters pile up more and more clumsy it might look. A small room can look best if it contain lots of cupboards. All these clusters can be arranged well in a closet, safe and tidy . Open shelf’s may look untidy if it is not properly arranged . Even small hand made rugs (http://www.rugsnetwork.com/t/CareandMaintenance) can give the effects of a long carpet in such small rooms. So each item you place should be carefully chosen and try to throw away the unwanted items to give more space to your rooms!

Jacqueline says

This article is so encouraging. I live in a tiny apartment with my husband and 16 year old son, and we will be moving into a 5th wheel when he graduates in two years. The space issue gets very frustrating at times and this article helped me flesh out some ideas I’ve been thinking about.

Debra @ MsMoozys Open House says

Great post, love making use of small places and I am constantly trying new things for our small house. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Kim says

Wow….. I keep a clean house but I see where I am lacking. Gonna head out and get me some baskets and containers and clean the clutter around the house. I might even tackle my junk drawer which may very well be no more. Love you posting.

Louise says

I think your kitchen is just the right size, and I’m totally jealous of your pantry. I love your coffee station. What a cute idea!

Leanne says

Love the ideas! Where did you get the white cabinets for your coffee station? I want exactly that! pls reply!!!

I believe Angie said she got them at Homesense.

Comments