Quick 15 Minute Junk Drawer Organization

Often when I run out of things in my own home to organize, I beg my friends to let me organize something in their homes just so I can get a “fix”.   I get the shakes and start frothing at the mouth if I go to long without organizing something which is just so not pretty.  So to enable me avoid that whole ugly scenario my friends agree to let me into their drawers just so they don’t have to watch a grown women have a total melt down.  I’ve got the best of friends what can I say!

Junk Drawer Organization:

So one day as I was visiting my girlfriend and we were waiting for the tea kettle to boil, I got to work on a quick junk drawer makeover.  Seriously these projects take no time at all yet we often put them off thinking we need to set aside hours of time.  You don’t.  Set your timers and let’s get organizing!

The before:

junk drawer organization before

Dump the whole thing out.  Yep even with small projects it works to follow the PROCESS.  Give it a quick wipe down while you’ve got the chance.

junk drawer during

Then do a sort and toss!  I forgot to take a picture of the toss pile which is unfortunate because it was a pretty good size.  A family only needs so many pens my friends :)

Use whatever bins, baskets or boxes (tea boxes work great!) you can find around the house to provide some limits and boundaries to your stuff.  Trust me it helps!!

The after:

junk drawer organization after

Took no time at all and we finished just in time for tea.  By then the shakes had subsided and I could hold my cup of tea without spilling it all over the floor.  Circle of life I tell ya! :)

So how about dumping a drawer today!!  Feel free to send me pictures too, I love seeing what you gals (& guys) are working on!!

For other quick projects please visit my 52 weeks of organizing page.

Linking up:

Organize Your Stuf f Now

A Bowl Full of Lemons

Thrifty Decor Chick

Filed under: Before and After, Organizing Basics
The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Comments

13 Responses to Quick 15 Minute Junk Drawer Organization

JanL says

Are you kidding??? Only allowed ‘so many pens’??? This is truly one of my most extensive hoarding tendencies. A few years ago, I rounded up all my pens/pencils/markers & threw away almost 100, sent multiples to my husband’s work, and still have plenty left.
    Great job & must be good friends to allow you into their junky areas.

Stephanie Chessell says

Just did my junk drawer too. How about just an after photo?

For sure!

MelanieL says

I have a junk drawer in my bedroom dresser that needs this service!! I’m going to get rid of the junk and put some of my jewelry in it because my jewelry box on top of the dresser is overflowing! I enjoyed this quick lesson:)

Thanks Tracy!!

Bronwyn MayB says

Fantastic. Good job! I am avoiding doing that with my bathroom cupboards and I know I shouldn’t!!

candi says

this sounds easy, especially using tea boxes for storage. What a great idea even for my tea party blog. Now I now what to use some of my many boxes for. Thanks

se7en says

Oh I love this post… I once cleaned out a friend’s entire school room like this – just could not stand the chaos!!! Each week we had a playdate and I would “casually” tackle a shelf while I was there… do you guys play this game still? Can we fix this box? Can we find all the puzzle pieces and put them together… It took abut a year and was never my intention, but we still laugh about it now!!!

That is hilarious! Well done :)

Susan says

Too many pens? I’ve been trying to convince my dad that there is such a thing! He has empty soup cans full of them all over his home office, even after I threw out all the broken and empty ones when I was over :) He doesn’t get organizing!

sherry says

Great job! I have a question though, what if you don’t have a “junk” drawer? My kitchen is pretty small and I have a total of 2 drawers. One for silverware, towels etc. and the other for kitchen utensils. I made a box and put it on the counter for our “junk”, but it doesn’t look the best. I need some advice as to alternatives. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments