Menu Plan Monday ~ May 20/13

MPM-Spring

Hey everyone!  Today is a holiday for us Canadians so I’ll be relaxing with my family finally enjoying some sunny (yay!) weather.  I’m not even going to do my usual Monday morning grocery shop.  Gasp!  Ha-ha I’m going to put it off until Tuesday instead.  Sometimes you just have to be wild and crazy lol.

Egg Blowing:

So a couple of weeks ago I asked you all for some tips on peeling hard boiled eggs.  I appreciate all your help.  I tried many of the suggestions including adding salt to the water, using older eggs and rolling the eggs on the counter before peeling.  Unfortunately I didn’t have luck with any of them.  But one reader emailed me a link to a video with a really neat trick to peeling eggs.  You can find that video here.  Basically it involves peeling away a tiny little bit of the shell on either side of the egg and then blowing the egg out.  It sounds crazy but it worked!  No kidding.  I had to blow a little harder than suggested (my face went red) but I eventually got it.  So very cool!

Recipe Highlight:

I may have mentioned this one before but last week’s recipe highlight goes to the Baked Tacos recipe.  Oh my word are these ever good.  I gobbled three up and had more the next day for lunch and I’m really not a fan of leftovers for lunch normally :)  The trick to these is to use the flat bottom taco shells so they stand up easily.  YUM!!!   Sorry I hate them so fast I forgot to take a picture.

Menu Planning with Pinterest:

Using-Pinterest-to-Meal-Plan

I found this great tutorial online on How to Use Pinterest to Meal Plan.  Be sure to check it out if you are looking for ways to simplify your menu planning process.

Plus to help you further, I also found a fun site called Made From Pinterest where you’ll find plenty of recipes to try from Pinterest.

My Weekly Menu Plan:

Monday:  Stat holiday here in Canada ~ we’re grilling up some hot dogs

Tuesday:  Super Easy Spaghetti & Meatballs in the Crockpot

Wednesday:  Black Bean & Corn Chicken Salad Pitas

Thursday:  Leftover buffet

Friday:  Hot & Sticky Chicken served with mashed potatoes and corn

Saturday:  Best Sloppy Joes Ever (family favorite!)

Sunday:  Picking night!

Have a wonderfully organized week everyone :)

WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK?  JOIN US!

Menu Plan Guidelines, banner selections and recipe helpers are here.

More family favorite recipes here.

Don’t forget to join the growing Menu Plan Monday Facebook Page!!

One of my favorite menu planning resources:

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Comments

69 Responses to Menu Plan Monday ~ May 20/13

Becky, aka SimplyBurbs Mama says

I love the idea of a Picking Night! We do something similar that we call Rustle – I just rustle around in the fridge until I find leftovers to pull together in to a meal!

Love it!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen says

I hope that you enjoy your day off! What a treat – especially since it sounds like your weather is nice too.

Many of the recipes you shared this week look delicious – the black bean & corn pitas, and the sloppy joes. We make ours in the crockpot, — I would think that would work with this recipe too. Looks great!

Anna (Frugal For You) says

Enjoy your holiday! I am having a personal holiday- it’s my birthday! Having roast chicken, cupcakes and ice cream today and picking strawberries this week. Yum! Thanks for your recipe links. Always enjoy them!

Happy belated birthday Anna!! Hope you had a great day!!

Vanessa (Mom's Menu Planning) says

Happy Monday! That Hot & Sticky Chicken sounds to die for! Just wanted to give you a tip on the egg blowing – make sure the eggs are at room temperature. If they are too hot or cold, it will not work. We did this too and the kids had a ball…especially when my face was the color of a tomato ;-)

Amanda says

A super easy way to peel several eggs at once is this: hard boil your eggs as usual. Drain all but about 1/4″ of water out of the saice pan. Put a lid over the pan. Now with one hand on the handle of the sauce pan and one hand on the lid, hold it over the sink and shake it back and fourth about five or six times. The eggs bang against each other and against the side of the pan and cracks the shell. Then it takes very little effort to remove the shell. Thanks for the great recipes!

Keri says

Wow! That egg-blowing video was crazy. Now I want to boil some eggs just so I can try that…

Jean says

No grocery shopping on a holiday–isn’t that a rule? Ha! I hope you enjoy your day!

Becki - Sweetly B Squared says

OMG! The egg blowing thing was too cool! Sounds like a yummy menu. We’ve got the holiday weekend next week ;)

Crystal & Co says

Thanks for sharing my Crockpot Spaghetti and Meatball recipe. :)

Your meal plan this week looks yummy!

Martha says

Hey Laura, long time no see! I’m finally back to blogging again. Good to see Menu Plan Monday is still going strong. Hope all has been well with you. Thanks for hosting as always :)

Welcome back!!

Janet @ Frugal & Focused says

I hope you had a great day off. The black bean & corn chicken salad pitas look delicious. Going on my “to try” list. Thanks for hosting.

Sherri @madefrompinterest.net says

Thanks for the shout out! We feel like we made a new friend. We think this Menu Board idea of yours is pure genius.

Ahhh thanks Sherri!!