Mom’s Little Emergency Kit

The following is a guest post from regular contributor, Angie at Echoes of Laughter.

Recently I was cleaning out my purse and I found a whole assortment of things at the bottom that I wanted to have with me in case of an ‘emergency’, but just not quite that messy. I decided that I had to organize these little things in a much better way. I began by browsing the local dollar store for some ideas and I found this adorable little fabric cosmetic bag that was perfect for the job.

With Mother’s Day and the end of the school year just around the corner, I thought I would share with you all the things that could make a great ‘Mom’s little emergency kit’. This would be such an awesome gift to put together for the busy moms in your life. I keep my little emergency kit in the glove box in my car or in my purse, depending on the weather and where I am going.

Included in the ‘Mom’s Little Emergency Kit’ are:

• make up remover cloth
  • toothpaste
  • floss
  • Tums
  • hand sanitizer gel
  • Benadryl
  • Gravol
  • Tylenol
  • Advil
  • Imodium quick dissolve tablets
  • Alka Seltzer
  • Ice cold pain relief gel packet
  • Halls cough drops
  • hair elastic
  • bobby pins
  • safety pins
  • Vaseline lip balm
  • shoe cleaning cloth
  • gum

Of course, the kit can be personalized to include any items that you might need in addition to the list I have shared.

All of my ‘must have’ items fit together nicely in the fabric cosmetic bag I picked up at the dollar store. I feel much better knowing that everything I might need is packaged together nicely in one zippered pouch. No more digging around in the bottom of my purse!

How about you? Do you have a ‘little emergency kit’ that you keep with you? What are some of your must-have items?

Wishing you a wonderful week!

angie bio pic Angie’s blog, Echoes of Laughter, is all about filling your home with love and laughter.  She loves creative projects, organizing & decorating, cooking, baking, and all things domestic.  Angie lives in Alberta, Canada with her husband and two great kids.

Linking up here: Lil Luna

Filed under: Angie, Containerizing, Guest Bloggers

Comments

22 Responses to Mom’s Little Emergency Kit

MelanieL says

Great kit Angie! You have covered all the bases here! I really need to corral my things because I find myself digging in the bottom of my purse frequently!

Kimberley says

I would feel like a superhero Mom with this kit……my purse seems to always get cluttered up so I try to only keep the necessary items (wallet & cell phone) in it, but combining everything into a cute little cosmetic bag is a great idea!

Ann says

There is a company called Minimus (minimus.biz) that sells the individually packaged products such as medications, food and health and beauty aids. I’ve been able to purchase a few packets of ibuprofen, Benadryl, Immodium and the like to keep in my purse. It’s a GREAT resource for even the small dressing packets for taking lunch with you to work!

Lindsay says

Just checked out this website this is so perfect! Thanks for posting about it! I have found my new favorite website!!! =)

Glory says

I have one of these in my purse too, and while I am not a mom, I like to prepared for anything. I have almost everything you have and a lil brush for my hair.

Thanks for sharing!

Jean says

This is a great idea, but you need to remember that some of these items won’t go through TSA at airport checkpoints. Well, they might go through, but you might get pulled aside for a special search. If you’re like me, though, you won’t need to worry about it because you’ll take a different purse with you when you fly.

Roberta says

How big is that bag? This is so awesome and would be great for teacher appreciation too! Any gal can benefit from this, not just moms!

Deana says

Roberta, I love your suggestion of giving something like this as a gift! Who wouldn’t love receiving a gift like this?

Jodie says

I have one of those too. I carry wipes, tissues, lip balm and feminine essentials in the back pocket of my bag so I can get to them quickly but I also have a little pouch in the main section with a sewing kit, pain killers, a sachet of Stevia, nail file, nail clippers, safety pin, hair ties and clips, blister plasters, breath spray and an emergency phone charger. There’s no end to the number of times these things have come in handy.

Diane says

I have started using small bags to organize almost everything in my purse. I have a cosmetic bag with blush, lipstick, mirror, nail file, and perfume. Another bag contains feminine products. I also have a stationery bag with a pen, scrap paper and our library cards. I bought a long slim wallet that holds cards, cash and change. I stand the wallet up so it doesn’t get lost in the bottom of my purse. Now I guess I need to add an emergency kit. The one hing I would add is a small tape measure. It comes in handy for all sorts of things, especially for measuring clothes that I want to buy for my husband. Having all these little bags makes purse changing a snap and it’s easy to remember where I put things. No more searching through all the pockets. :D

Barbie says

Oh I need one of these!

Donna McBroom-Theriot says

I also love this idea because I too gather things together in pouches – which also makes it easier to change bags which I seem to forever be doing. The one thing I cannot do without, or two, big bandaids as I sometimes tend to get blisters. When I feel my shoe rubbing I grab a big bandaid and cover my heel and no more friction. Also, could you let us know where you found the darling initial on your zipper. I am positive we all need one! lol

Donna

Tiffany says

Great kit with good ideas. I have one similar that i always keep in my purse or diaper bag. I have found that a good addition is a couple of zip ties and some temporary fabric hem tape. Also where would one find the little cold pack, might be handy to have around with the kiddos. Thanks :)

Linda says

I found small “smiley face” or princess face cold packs at the Container Store…about 4 inches in diameter.

Lisa says

Duct tape. They come in smaller sizes. I have used it to temporary repair shoes, hem line, as a band aid. It’s endless!!!

Lisa says

I have one similar but guess I need to up date it. I have tweezers, safety pins, double stick tape, band aids, lighter, neosporin, and a flashlight. Thanks for the ideas.

Mary says

I think this is a great idea and always wanted to do something like this but I’m worry about leaving this in the car & it being so hot in the summer, and this kit containing medicine, I’m worry that it may go bad, since the warning on the bottle says to keep at room temp? Any suggestions ?

Rita says

I also have one that I made last yr. My emergency kit includes: mini hairspray, hair pik, clip and scrunchi, krazy glue,listick,eyeshadow, black nailpolish,razor, tampon,bobby pin,safety pen, pen and sticky notes, tweezers, pencil sharpener,nail file,zantacand ibuprofen:)

Bel says

Love it but I removed the gum after watching a show on how it was made…..

Crystal Gulbranson says

What is the clear nail polish for? What is Gravol?

Comments