52 Weeks: #28 Your way is not wrong if……
If you are new to 52 Weeks of Organizing, catch up here!
So this week I got a comment from a reader that asked something along the lines of “is it wrong that I don’t like all the plastic type containers that are out there?” I actually get a lot of questions like that from readers wondering if “it is wrong that I don’t organize things this way or that way?”
Well I think you know how I”m going to answer this one. Of course it’s not wrong!! I know I’ve talked about this before but I’m just going to keep doing it until I’m blue in the face. I think when we are constantly trying to measure up to someone else’s ideal or trying to work systems designed for someone else that aren’t necessarily right for your family you are only setting yourself up for failure. It’s a slippery slope for sure.
Here’s the thing…it’s not wrong to not like plastic containers the same way it’s not wrong to love them. It’s okay if you love sorting your laundry or not as in my case. It’s not wrong to store your cereal in the car if that’s where you eat it versus having those cereal boxes all lined up in the cupboard. It’s what WORKS for you. The key word here though is works because as you know a system won’t work itself (unless of course that system includes a maid :)). It requires action on our parts and thankfully there are options and solutions out there for everyone. I wrote more about systems here.
You’ll know your way is working for you when:
1. you can find what you need when you need it within 1 or 2 minutes.
2. you can successfully walk through your house and it not feel like a maze through piles of clutter.
3. you can pay bills on time.
4. you aren’t constantly replacing items you can’t find.
5. you have some limits and boundaries to what you own so you don’t become inundated with clutter.
6. you can manage your time and aren’t constantly running around feeling overwhelmed and frustrated.
7. you are maximizing the space you have available to you.
8. you are using resources within your means to organize your space now rather than living in chaos until you can afford more expensive options.
These are just some rough guidelines to help you determine whether or not your way of organizing is working for you. If it is working for you, then it is most definitely not wrong. Only you can be the judge of that.
That’s all the wisdom I’ve got for you today my lovely readers. Have a terrific weekend and of course have a little fun organizing a space or two :)
Please feel free to share your organizing journey and encourage one another in the comments. You are also invited to link up to the linky below with any posts related to your 52 weeks of organizing participation or to any post of an organizing nature that you feel will inspire and encourage others in their quest to get organized. Please remember to link back to here though so we can reach out to as many people as possible in need of some inspiration.
One other thing to consider: by including your link below you, you are giving me permission to use parts of your post including pictures as a spotlight in future 52 Weeks of Organizing posts. Proper credit and links will of course be provided. If you are not okay with this please do not link up. Thanks!