Rockets and Smarties - %%sitetitle%%

Rockets and Smarties

What does a title like that have to do with organizing you ask?  Well absolutely nothing :)  I’m busy, you’re busy so the last thing you need from me is another how to do this or that post.  Blech.  So what I’m showing you today has nothing to do with nothing.  How do you like that?

My kids love Rockets, but it fascinates me that in the US you call Rockets Smarties.  But Smarties here in Canada are like M&M’s with the chocolate inside.  It’s all so confusing.  When I met up with my US friend Tanna in October she brought me some US Smarties just to show me because it tickles me so (don’t ask me why, just know that I’m a freak and these little things amuse me) and I brought some Canadian Smarties for her kids.

Are you still with me?  Let’s break it down.

Here we have some Canadian Rockets:

Which look and taste just like US Smarties:

But are nothing like Canadian Smarties:

Okay now that I’ve wasted precious minutes of your life got that all cleared up I feel so much better now, don’t you?  Hahaha.

Hey that was fun, I think I’ll post about nothing again tomorrow :)

Comments

69 Responses to “Rockets and Smarties”
    Jen says:

Hahaha! I found that pretty funny when I found that out too. :)

Americans do some things just weird – and WHERE ARE ALL THE KETCHUP CHIPS???

Laura says:

Oh my gosh I should have posted about my beloved ketchup chips. They are so good. Maybe that’ll be my nothing post for tomorrow LOL.

• 1.1.1
        Jen says:

That and Wunderbars. But then, Americans have MUCH better Oreos. :)

• 1.1.2
        Natascha says:

Hi, I came across this post and noticed that your kids love Rockets. I work for the Rockets Candy Company and we are including kind consumer feedback about Rockets and Breath Savers products on the new Rockets website that is in development now.
        The quotes will only include a person’s first name and last initial. For example, “Rockets are my favorite candy!” –Marie P. We may also include the author’s city and province if they are comfortable with that. For example, “Rockets are my favorite candy!” – Marie P., Newmarket, ON.

We would like to include 2 short quotes for each of the following products (that’s 22 notable quotables!):
        • Rockets
        • Giant Rockets Rolls
        • Rockets Super Assortment
        • Rockets Love Hearts
        • Rockets Double Lollies
        • Super Double Lollies
        • Rockets Mega Double Lollies
        • Vanilla Mind Breath Savers
        • Spearmint Breath Savers
        • Wintergreen Breath Savers
        • Peppermint Breath Savers

If you have any feedback from years back or would like to ask friends and family for new feedback about a particular product to be featured on the website, please reply to this blog asap! This is an opportunity for those who author the quotes to have their names on the website (exciting!). Thanks!

• 1.1.3
        Melissa says:

They actually have some pretty good Ketchup chips in the US (Herr’s Brand). I moved to the US from Canada, and the 2 things in MY opinion that are DESPERATELY lacking here in the U S of A?
        1. POUTINE!!!
        2. All Dressed chips :(

That is so weird. My aunt is Canadian though, and I’ve become familiar with your strange ways. Haha! She has some gummy fruit that she gets from Canada that’s really good too. And hickory chip things too. I can’t remember the name of either of them, of course. But I know when I visit her house after she’s been home I’m gonna get me some Canadian junk food. :-)

se7en says:

Hay there from Cape Town… We have those pretty sweeties and they are are called “Sweet Hearts” exact same packaging with a different name!!! And then we have the chocolate drops coated in candy called smarties too, with a slightly different packaging … well almost the same!!! Strange world we live in!!!

Laura says:

Okay this is really fascinating me now LOL. Who knew there were so many variations. This is so much fun!!!!!

I was going to also tell you we have smarties! I will take a pic for you since I just happen to have some boxes on hand :) Last Christmas they had green Smarties and this year for some weird reason they have pink ones (I bought 4 boxes because they’re pretty) and yellow ones (treasure chest so I assume they think we’re fooled that they are money :))

Merry Christmas!

Lizzie says:

Great post! Stuff like this happens to me all the time (the double name thing for the same product) as i live in Australia, but call New Zealand home :)
    Have a great Christmas!

Michaela says:

I know the smarties thing! I was born in England & smarties there are also the chocolate m&m things. Of course I’ve been over here for yonks & one of Hubba’s fave candies is smarties- the wafer type. Hadn’t heard of rockets before now, though.

Laura says:

The Rockets here are gluten and dairy free so perfect for my allergic son. We always stock up when they go on sale especially during Halloween!

• 5.1.1
        Stacy says:

I can send you some more of the Rockets. I have tons left over from Halloween! LOL We use them in one of my son’s pez type dispenser and recently he decided he doesn’t like it any more! LOL

Christy says:

I found Aero Bars at Publix this week! We have moved from Toronto to Atlanta. My kids didn’t know what to think last Christmas—no kindereggs in the stockings! When we were in Toronto, I used to drive to Buffalo just to pick up American Oreos. Now we hoard Tim Horton’s coffee and Kraft Peanut Butter!

Chriss says:

Hi,
    We have those in England but we call them Fizzers !!

Annie says:

Oh but what about Hawkins Cheesies can’t get them down there…it has made us laugh that Rockets are called Smarties in the US.

Oh man, I just ate a bag of Hawkins cheezies yesterday and they are THE BEST. There is nothing here like them. (I was born in Canada, now I live in the USA.)

No one here has mentioned yet that if you say the Canadian Smarties are like M&M’s, that’s almost like a slam to Smarties. Or at least that’s what some Canadian’s think. Smarties have a thicker candy coating that lasts in your mouth longer (you can break the candy in half in your mouth and let the chocolate melt out of the shell.) Another huge difference is the chocolate. M&M’s are gluten-free as they have pure chocolate in the middle. Smarties have wheat in them. The chocolate in Smarties is not as sweet as the chocolate in M&M’s.

FishMama says:

This is hilarious! Having never been to Canada, however, I cannot relate. But, I like watching. :)

tamara says:

I had no idea. We call them Smarties and another brand sold here in New Zealand call them Pebbles. In reality they are just like the M m’s we get too.

Very funny

DL Harmon says:

Ok, I’m loving this! I want more! I live in the US but dated a guy from Canada. Didn’t know about this though!

Joyce says:

Very interesting! I love finding out about different flavors of Kit Kat from around the world.

Beth says:

I didn’t know that! I did know about the ketchup chips though, and I think that the US doesn’t have dill pickle chips either. My parents always bring Clamato juice with them to the States because they like Caesars which are made with Clamato. In the States they use tomato juice and call them Bloody Mary’s.

I grew up on the border (literally, we can see Michigan from my parent’s yard. )The subtle differences are amazing.

Heather H says:

Smarties are the best!!! Maybe tomorrow you could show us your flip top head like all good Canadians have?? lol

Julie says:

This is hilarious! UK smarties also taste different then Canadian Smarties. For the UK ones, the different colours taste different and the orange colour tastes like orange fruit, can’t remember the rest! I thought something was wrong with them the first time I had them as Canadian ones taste all the same!

Liddy says:

Interesting info tidbit! :) I love (US) Smarties!!! They’re addictive…when I start eating them, I can’t stop!

Mrs. Wright says:

I’m from Alaska and my family and I take every opportunity to hoard Canadian candy! It started with Aero bars and has expanded into Mr. Big’s, Coffee Crisps, Dops (our newest obsession!), Canadian Kit Kats and the like. We brought an ENTIRE suitcase full of candy home from Toronto in August that’s almost gone :D

sn says:

..to add to the wonder: in europe canadian rockies und american smarties exist too – only there they are called….. “fizzers”. :-)

While we’re on the subject, South Africa has the best Fanta Orange in the world :)

I’ve been to 10 countries (not the US or Canada though) and no other Fanta compares :)

Amy K says:

Hmmm…very interesting. Here in the U.S., we even have such differences in regional things as well!
    This post was fun!

Renee G says:

We lived in Germany for 4 yrs and McDonalds used Smarties (the chocolate ones) in their McFlurries… they were smaller than M&Ms – more like minis

Theresa says:

Love this post and all the comments! I live in Texas where something resembling English is spoken and love hearing all the different names for same or similar products. It reminds me of that old saying about the US and England (or it could be any two English-speaking countries): “Two countries separated by a common language!”

ashley says:

I love this! I love the Canadian Kit Kats and Aero bars! Get them every time I visit. Another candy is now added to my list, along with the Swiss Cheese crackers that are discontinued in the US. I used to love those!

Burger King had a bag of Ketchup Fries that you could buy in the grocery stores. I don’t think they lasted long. It was like chips but in the fries shape.

Becky says:

Too funny about the candy differences. Didn’t know that either. Thanks for sharing, and loved reading the comments.
    Merry Christmas across the border, wherever you are!
    We wish you a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Mary Newman says:

This post totally made me smile. Not just because I am born Canuck living in the USA but because you actually took the time to blog about it! haha! I crave so many treats from Canada… we stock up on Vachon products (Jo Luis, Passion Flakies and Au Caramel) and Nestle and Cadbury bars. Cadbury makes “caramello” in the USA that’s like caramilk but there is something diff about the chocolate. Cadbury cream eggs are way better from Canada too. Mr.Big, Coffee Crisp, Crunchie, and Cherry Blossoms are awesome. Don’t even get me started on the variety of flavored chips. I think the immigration agents must think we’re deprived when they see us coming! haha
    Merry Christmas!

Susanne says:

LOL. Funny post, Laura, and I loved reading all the comments.

Marci says:

Well I’ll be…that is pretty neat! :) Merry Christmas Laura! :)

nellbe says:

Very interesting! Here in Australia we have the chocolate coated candy shell Smarties as well. We also have the m & m’s and both of them here are not gluten free. So US and Canadian ones are? hmmm…

Lauren says:

I LOVE canadian smarties!!! I had a roomate in college who had a friend from Canada who mailed us some and I have been so bummed that we don’t have those here in the US! It’s a shame b/c they are so delicious!!

Melanie R says:

OMG… I’m soo glad you posted this.. I’m from germany and our “Smarties” are just like your chocolate “Smarties” and I thought I’m loosing it when I saw the “american Smarties”…lol..
    Back in germany we have Paprika Chips and ohhh do I miss those.. soo yummy…and Ketchup chips .. mhhh … US better get on the ball with this..:-) Hope ya all had a merry christmas
    Melanie

Brittany says:

I lived in Norway for most of the year the past couple of years…back and forth between Florida and there….

Europe is lacking in chip flavors and I was going nuts because not much to snack on thats worth the calories…

Paprika
      Salt
      Salt & Pepper
      Sorland – Pepe’s Pizza flavor
      -3 plain flavor PRINGLES…like whoa horrible

Occasionally I saw Doritios…the original flavor, and during the summer months one type of Grill chips [bbq flavor]

Any european going to wal mart to find 25 different flavors would probably have psychosis after seeing the variety hehe.

I will admit one thing, chocolate is abundant in europe, and much better than american chocolate…but if we look closely most of our chocolate in the stores comes from Europe…so props goes out to chocolate

Jackie says:

Please, please tell me they are gluten free. Please.

Jackie says:

That would be the ketchup chips I am beggin about. lol

Amanda says:

I live in South Carolina and my grocery store sells Canadian Smarties on the international aisle of the store. Of course, they also sell American Smarties on the candy aisle. Passing the Canadian Smarties makes me smile and think of all my Canadian friends from college.

Caitlin says:

Just to add another country to the mix. I’m from Australia – we have the same smarties as Canada! It must be a Commonwealth thing! I think the closest thing we have to Rockets is Fruit Tingles. Different packaging though! (Paper not plastic!)

Britt says:

Smarties originate in Britain, same as rockets, but now they are subsidized in Switzerland because Nestle owns the name now.and Nestle being a Swiss brand sells delicious candy goods all through the world…

Tanna says:

I just loved being able to share goodies with you….I could totally go for some more ketchup chips. :) When leaving Canada I had a Sprite at the airport and that seemed to taste completely different from ours so it makes me wonder about the different drink differences as well. Something to test out next time I am there :)

LisaC says:

American pop is made with corn syrup and Canadian pop is made with sugar, so there is a different taste if you ask me! Also, Mt. Dew soda pop doesn’t have caffeine in Canada, which I find funny. The thing that annoys me the most is Mars Bars in Canada being just like US Milky Way. I miss Mars! And the thing that annoys me the second most is the differences in breakfast cereal. I can only get one kind of Cap’t Crunch (original) and I want some Crunch Berries!!

Robyn says:

Last summer some girlfriends and I went down to CreationFest West in Washington (we are from BC). We couldn’t believe how many people walked around the campsites looking for Canadians asking for All-Dressed Chips! Next summer I am definitely going to Costco and buying a flat of them to bring down!
    We also bought several boxes of Cherry and Vanilla Coke as it’s no longer available in Canada!

cool I didn’t know about those!

A Confused Canuck says:

I’m from Ontario, and I’ve always called them Rockets. One day, my friend shows me this package that says ‘Smarties’ and I said, “HAHHAHAHHAHAH SMARTIES ARE CHOCOLATE!” We’re forever debating about whether to call them Rockets or Smarties(: but the best thing ever, and I do mean EVER, is tire sur la neige (or tire d’érable). IT’S AMAZING L;ASDFJL’ASKDHG :D :D :D

Very interesting! A Canadian friend of mine blogged about making “Rockets” valentines today and I googled the term and ended up here. Now I want to try some Canadian Smarties. On my to-do list for my next visit to Canada!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] I so enjoyed all the comments on my silly post the other day.  Who knew that all of you in the US were missing out on so much deliciousness in [...]

Comments