This weekend found me with a few hours to myself which meant I was finally able to switch out my seasonal clothes. I’m not sure what kind of mood I was in but boy I wish I could have bottled it. Let’s just say ruthless doesn’t even begin to describe the fierce parting I was doing with the clothes that crossed my path and looked at me wrong. My goodness did I ever get on a roll and it felt great! That first day I got a respectable garbage bag of clothing gathered up for the thrift store.
And then the next day, after evaluating how great I felt about a lighter closet and a freer me, I got really wild and gathered up TWO more bags of clothing to go. I’m not kidding, I was on fire.
Here’s my final tally:
3 sweatshirts, 3 pairs of pants, 12 sweaters, 2 hoodies, 3 coats, 2 vests, 11 pairs of capris, 12 pairs of shorts, 42 shirts, 6 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of boots, 1 purse, 4 dresses, 1 skirt and 4 pairs of pjs.
Grand Total = 108 pieces!!!!
That my friends is called insanity right there and it has my name written all over it. Now before you get all crazy on me and wonder what me, a girl who purges on a regular basis, could be doing with that much clothing, let me explain.
None of it was cluttered in my closet. I am very fortunate to have a closet to myself that I don’t have to share. Plus all my out of season clothing is stored under my bed. So I had the space for it physically but what I now know is that just because you have the space for something doesn’t mean you have to fill it. At each season end I go through and giveaway anything that hasn’t been worn that season. This year I changed my criteria slightly. If I’ve only worn it once or twice during the season then obviously I don’t love it that much and it could go too. This is the year I decided to ONLY keep the pieces I absolutely love and wear all the time which apparently isn’t that much lol.
For example, I realized that I have my few favorite jeans and wear them frequently. Why bother with a bunch of others that are just okay if I’m only wearing my favorites anyway. Me and this “just in case” business are done. I only kept my very favorites because those are the ones that fit me great and the colors look good on me and as a result I feel great wearing them. If it means I wear fewer pieces of clothing more of the time, well then that’s the way it’s going to be.
Org Junkie’s Tips for Parting With Your Clothes
1. If you haven’t worn something in a year then out it goes regardless of condition, price or size. Why a year? Because you cover every season in that period of time. If you haven’t worn it during the year, you probably never will.
2. If you have a piece of clothing that you wear but are annoyed with it every time you do, seriously stop it.
3. If it’s waiting to be mended and it’s been waiting for a long time then enough is enough already.
4. If you hate to iron and your ironing pile sits there totally neglected while you wear all your favorite clothing over and over again, why do you still have an ironing pile?
5. I’m not opposed to keeping your “skinny” clothes (and I know we all do it) but for goodness sakes you don’t need to keep all of it. Styles change, your tastes change, your body shape changes so chances are good that when you get back to that size you’re going to want new stuff anyway.
6. If you absolutely love a shirt but never wear it because you have nothing to wear it with, well guess what, a mate isn’t going to magically appear in the night. Follow the one year rule.
7. Sentimental clothes that you aren’t wearing shouldn’t reside in your closet. Either take a picture of it and preserve the memory or limit yourself to one tote of “clothes to show my kids so they can laugh their heads off at me someday”.
8. Don’t hang onto something that is “just alright” because you don’t have something better yet to replace it. Let it go now unless it means you go naked, that wouldn’t be right.
9. You don’t have to do it all at once. Like I did try it in stages and be motivated by your success. One day you could do shirts, the next day shorts, etc..
10. Try everything on. This one I can’t stress enough. Do not hold something up and say oh this is so beautiful I’m going to keep it. That’s too easy and what you might not remember is that, although it’s beautiful, the buttons gape at the front showing off your woman parts. Nope we don’t want that now do we. Get rid of it.
11. You only have the space that you do. Jamming your clothes into the closet and fighting with them every single day to find what you need won’t make your closet grow in the night. It will only make you grumpy…every single day. It’s not worth it.
And just in case you need a daily
kick in the pants reminder, here is a copy for you to print out and stash away in your closet if you need to :) Click on the link below for the pdf file.
Hope that helps in your quest to do some serious clothes purging soon. I cannot even begin to tell you how relieved I am to have tightened up my criteria and parted with plenty of perfectly good clothes better suited for someone else.
You may also like -