Create a closet where one doesn't exist - %%sitetitle%%

Create a closet where one doesn’t exist

One of the best parts of this blog for me are the awesome readers that enable my “habit”.  The emails and pictures I receive displaying all sorts of sweet organizing bliss, causing me to drool all over my keyboard, make me so happy that while I’m moping up my drool I’m also giggling incessantly.   It’s a little embarrassing but I don’t care.  I’m a nerd, it’s what I do.  Drool and giggle and not always in that order.

But once you see these pictures I think you’ll understand.  You may also do the drool, giggle, giggle, drool routine because seriously it’s basket heaven.   This blog reader, who just started a blog of her own called On The Fly, told me that she lives in an old house with no closets.  Her four kids share a room.  Four kids in one room is a tough organizational challenge in itself, never mind in a room with no closet.

So what did she do, she created a closet where a closet ceased to exist.  It’s stunning and functional and well so darn clever I just had to ask her if I could share the photos with all of you.  Are you ready for this?

and this

and then this

What a great idea!  These closet organizers are designed for closets but who says they need to be in a closet.  They aren’t expensive and sold in most department stores.  They also are totally adjustable which comes in handy when dealing with sloped roofs like that.  I love that she’s color coded the bins for each child and has a bin for each day of the week to organize the outfits.

Are you lacking in closet space?  This might be the solution for you and if you aren’t well then perhaps you want to just continue right on drooling and giggling along with me as you stare at the pictures for an hour or so a couple of more minutes :)

Comments

50 Responses to “Create a closet where one doesn’t exist”
    Leanne says:

Wow! I love this non-closet closet. What a wonderful idea. Very creative.

Alyson says:

Very creative, neat and practical. I would give her a star!

Alyzabeth’s Mommy

I love bins – and I especially love cheerful, color-coordinated bins. Very creative!

Kati says:

Love it! So cute and would help you want to keep your “closet” clean!

Michelle says:

Love it! *drool*

Melodie says:

I really needed to see this! When my fourth baby came along, my oldest daughter decided to move into our garage. Since we just built a basic “box” room for her, she has no actual closet. I was going to buy her some wardrobes from IKEA, but this idea looks a lot easier and way more cute.

Diane says:

Clever, I love the colors!

Samantha says:

Drool, giggle, giggle indeed! I don’t have closets in my little house and this is a great idea and very cool looking too! Off to Walmart, lol!

Tanna says:

I love it! Great solution to fit her needs. I love finding creative ways to use these spaces in homes as well.

Yvette Andersen says:

I help paint that! The room looks great!!! Miss you guys!

Brandie says:

We are expecting our third, and the sweet baby will be staying in the home office off our master that doesn’t have a closet! I was in mid-panic attack since I’m at the half way mark, but now I can relax seeing how easily this was done! And when we move rooms or houses, the organizers can just be slipped into closets and are STILL functional! Love her space!

Hope says:

This is such a great idea! I never really thought of “making” a closet where there wasn’t one. But this gives me a GREAT idea how to fix our garage that has a lack of shelving. Thanks for the post!!

This looks amazing. I will soon be having my third, and all 3 will share the same room. I have run out of closet space, so this is an inspiring idea. I would love to see pictures of the entire room. Are there walls left for the rest of the furniture to go against?

Adrien says:

yes, there are PLENTY of walls, it is a HUGE room! we have a crib and toddler bed along one (you can see the corner of it in the last photo). then a short wall with two single beds with matching dressers and the wall opposite of the closet wall is a large window with a double long dresser. not to mention the play area off of the closet . . . like i said, it is HUGE! If you don’t have the wall space, why not try bunk beds or a loft bed for added space.

Trixie says:

What a fabulous idea!

jen says:

Astounding, and truly one of the cleverest solutions for storage I’ve ever seen. I just want to know how often it really looks like that. Because if it looks like that for even five minutes a week, I will have to die of jealousy! Wow! Wow! Wow!

Misty says:

With 4 little girls of mine own and looking at all of them sharing a room, I love it!!

Rana says:

I love this idea. I was looking for something like this to do in our guest bedroom which has no closets.

Marci says:

That is beautiful!! I love it! I wish I had that kind of creativity! :)

Nadine says:

How beautiful. I love it!

That is great…I also see that space and think how great it would be for scrapbooking lol

LouAnne says:

This is excellent! We have three such bedrooms with no closets and I’ve been at a loss. I think I finally have an answer. I’m SO grateful for organized people who come up with amazing ideas!!

Jenn says:

My son’s room is sloped almost exactly like hers. His closet is in the hallway right outside his room but this does give me some ideas on how to organize his room better. It’s one of the things we struggle most with and since he’s on the Spectrum, it’s harder for him to remember where everything goes. Thanks for some great ideas.

Tami says:

That is way cool! I built myself a closet out of “wasted” space in my bedroom but hers is way more impressive!

Totally excellent. I just found your webpage and I really love it. I’ll be linking it to my blog so all my friends can share. Thanks.

Oh, that’s fabulous!

Petula says:

That is drool worthy! I’m going to check out her post… What are the ages of her children? This is so cool and I’m trying to figure out how I can use it even though I have closet space. I have three children in one small room and there isn’t enough room in the closet, but not enough room in the room to use this idea. I love it! You’re right… staring, giggling and drooling. LOL

Jeannette says:

The concept is awesome and looks great, but please (this is grandmother talk) make sure the shelves are secure to the wall somehow so they don’t topple over..
    So colorful!

Allysgrandma says:

I did not receive the organizing gene and desperately wish I had. I love these!

Wow! This is such a great way to utilize the empty spaces around the house at the same time be more organized. I must try this at home.

Amy says:

WOW! What a room!!! Love all the orginization!!!!!

Thank you so much for this – I’ve been inspired!!! We’re hoping to build a liveable shed on a block of land out of town, and I was lying in bed last night trying to figure out how to make cheap closet space for the kids, and was thinking of open hanging racks, and this is perfect! We have a very wet, mouldy climate here, so it’s best to have lots of airflow around clothes. I love the white and bright colours too – so cute. We have four kids and not much room as well. Thanks so much for this post!!! :)

What a great idea! Looks great!

Happy, organized and beautiful!

Michelle in CT says:

What a WONDERFUL idea!!

Would you mind explaining how it works? Like…do ALL of the clothes get hung up? Where do the socks & undies go? And like misc non-hangable clothing?

I absolutely love this idea, but I’m organizationally challenged, so even trying to figure out the answers to my above questions would send me off in a different direction :) (Thanks!!!)

Adrien says:

the boys underpants, socks and shorts are in the three wooden boxes on the shelves (the one’s with their initials on them).
      each of the boys have a dresser where the rest of their clothes are – shirts, pj’s and pants.
      the larger bins on top house belts and loose socks (if a sock doesn’t have a mate, i put it in one place and then match them up every month).
      for my girls – tights, skirts and socks are in their initial boxes and rest in their double dresser they share.
      the really large plastic tubs under their clothes are for their shoes and slippers. though, most of their shoes are down stairs in baskets by the front door (you can see pictures of that on my blog: http://wingingitovercoffee.blogspot.com/)

• 37.1.1
        Michelle in CT says:

Thank you SO much for sharing your blog! I see the dressers now, and thanks for letting us know where you shopped for everything :)

Awesome! I did something similar in the garage/laundry area. Old pre-remodel base cabinet makes a terrific large folding table, complete with drawers and cubbies underneath. Not as cute or as colorful as the ones shown, but I CAN paint if I want to….

Jennifer says:

This is beautiful but in my house everything would be on the floor ten minutes after I organized it. I have to lock their dressers in the closet we do have just so the clothes don’t end up all over the floor every day. And the toys are also behind locked doors- only one or two bins out at a time. (They dump out the toys and play with the bins more than anything!)

Good job though- I am drooling too. Maybe when my kids are in college LOL!

Jen says:

I like how the color focus is on the containers and the actual shelves are discreet.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...

Comments