Homeschool Organization: Supply Caddy

The following is a guest post from regular contributor, Rachel.

I really debated about sharing homeschool organization. I’m not sure if any Organizing Junkie readers are interested in this topic, so please comment below if you want to read more in the future! No sense in posting details if there isn’t the readership, right?

Homeschool organization - supply caddy at orgjunkie.com

Our homeschool days alternate with traditional school, so I need to keep school matters organized in more than one way. At home, we typically do school work at the kitchen table. I’ve come to realize that with a little organization, you don’t always need a dedicated room to educate little ones.

Homeschool organization

First of all, supplies need to be handy and contained! When we began this school journey, I kept stopping to look for my pencil that had rolled off the table or under a book when not being used. Now, I keep all the standard writing and craft-type supplies in one open bin with a handle (I purchased this one at Target).

Use a caddy and things around the house to organize your homeschool table

I made an Art Cart long ago that works great for organizing art supplies but we don’t need all those items within the cart because they usually end up being a distraction.

This mini version of my daughter’s Art Cart is perfect for keeping us focused on homeschool. Everything is easy to access from the container itself, yet separated into similar groups to keep things from jumbling together. Also, it contains both student & teacher supplies; a dual functioning organizer is always a favorite for me!

Organized homeschool caddy, use what you already have!

For example, one small bin inside the caddy contains my teacher tools. I don’t use red pen, but I do have specific pens and highlighters to identify my writing & corrections on papers.

Homeschool caddy, use what you have!

Crayons are used every day we homeschool, so I keep them in a jelly jar inside the caddy. I take the jar out of the caddy so my daughter can see what she needs when it comes time to color.

Jelly jar crayons, so simple and easy for kids to use during homeschool!

In a third separate bin, I keep another jelly jar with pencils, scissors, glue stick, and erasers. Basically the miscellaneous tools she uses on a regular basis go here.

Keeping all the essential homeschool items in one place

While we’re talking about supplies, it’s important for me to share that I used things from around my house when organizing this homeschool caddy. Everything from the jelly jars to the caddy container were things I already owned. If you don’t have something handy, I encourage you to scour the dollar spots in many stores to find what you need. These trendy and bright pencils below came in a 24 count package for only $1 and the erasers did too!

jelly jars hold essential homeschool tools

In the wide bin are all the “extras” like money (oh my, do we count coins a lot!), a mini board eraser, battery operated pencil sharpener, etc. Oh, and stickers because we all know how rewarding they can be for the littles! 🙂

Keeping it all together for homeschooling

In essence, this is very similar to homework stations I’ve noticed online. So, if you don’t homeschool, this is a great way to keep homework supplies conveniently available and tailored to your children’s ages. I keep our supply caddy right next to the kitchen table on a shelf.

Slide all the homeschool essentials on the shelf when finished

I’m more than happy to share other homeschool organizing details that have proven beneficial for us this year, just send your thoughts below in the comment section!

Homeschool Caddy keeps things organized at the table

As always, I wish you a wonderful weekend!

PS: I’ve since updated this caddy which you can read about HERE.

Rachel

In the professional world, I’m a nurse by trade. But, around our house, I’m known as Mommy to our young daughter. My two worlds collided and began shaping into a blog. Useful Beautiful Home represents the hours I’ve dedicated to managing my household as efficiently as possible. I offer you motivation to keep your home healthy, organized, and welcoming.

Filed under: Guest Bloggers, Kid Stuff, Organizing Solutions, Rachel, School Stuff

Comments

34 Responses to Homeschool Organization: Supply Caddy

Anna Wegner says

I homeschool, and I can always use tips for organizing our school things. 🙂 We don’t have a room set aside for school either, but we have two tables, and I have a desk. We spread out between those three places, or the couch and chairs… or the floor. I like the idea of a caddy. My kids each have a little pencil box for their own pencils and such, but we could use the caddy for shared supplies & my “teacher” things.

Rachel @ Useful Beautiful Home says

Thanks for sharing Anna! I think a caddy that can be carried from place to place is extra convenient for what you described (we carry ours back and forth from table to desk, etc. too)! So glad this helped! 🙂

Melissa g says

I’m a homeschooling mom of 3, just starting our first year, so I’m always on the hunt for tips from other experienced moms. Would love to see more posts like this here at Organizing Junkie!

Denise D says

Love homeschooling tips. I home schooled 3. Only one left now but
    it’s a subject close to my heart. When I have grandchildren I hope
    they will get this choice.

Tyna says

Yes, Yes!!! More homeschool stuff!!!! I am currently schooling 4 children at 4 different grades. There are so many books and maps and binders and printouts and…and…and….

Plus I have a toddler who delights in taking stuff out. Sigh…

Cher says

Yes! More tips like this !:)

Margotgn says

Too much of this could kill the blog interest for me.

Michelle says

Even though I do not homeschool I love the post & tips…my kids still have homework & we still have to keep it organized 🙂

Rachel @ Useful Beautiful Home says

How kind, Michelle! Thanks for sharing. I’m happy you found it helpful as a homework caddy! I had a hunch it would work even for non-homeschoolers. 🙂

Heidi says

I put together a school caddy from a dollar store basket and red plastic cups. It holds most of our supplies, but I like the fact that yours also has room for a stapler. By the end of our school time, we usually have extra supplies around us that we have to put away. Thank you for the homeschool inspiration. We are in our fifth year with a hybrid program (two days at school, three at home).

Rachel @ Useful Beautiful Home says

You’re welcome Heidi, happy to hear this inspired you! Our hybrid is also two days at school, three at home. 🙂

Betsy E says

Oh, please do share more on homeschooling. My two daughters are both homeschooling their children. I love to share things like this with them! Love this idea!

Julie says

First full year of homeschooling for us. The tips are great and very helpful. Keep them coming!! 🙂

meg says

this is great! I love how you added the jars for pencils!! it’s funny how my thinking can be so rigid and think the container has to be used “as is” and I don’t even consider making modifications!!

Rachel @ Useful Beautiful Home says

Haha, I do the same thing sometimes! Glad this helped you think outside the box… or, in this case, the container. 🙂

Katherine says

Just started homeschooling a few weeks ago and I’m not very organized about it yet. I could use some more inspiration!

Rachel @ Useful Beautiful Home says

I hear ya Katherine! Getting started is the hardest part of the organization process. Looks like there’s enough reader interest that I’ll be back next time with more homeschool organizing ideas! 🙂

Christy says

Love the homeschool organizing ideas, please keep them coming. We have been a hs family for 8 years and I find I could always use new ideas to organize.

Kelly says

I organize our tools the same. I appreciate the homeschool organization tips! My friends who don’t homeschool always love seeing how I organize all our books/papers/school supplies because they struggle organizing the same things at their own homes! In fact many of my friends love that I used a caddy for our school tools and they made one to use for homework! Keep ’em coming!

Simone says

I think it’s a great idea, especially for those of us here in BC where kids aren’t in school yet waiting for our government to give the teachers a fair deal!

Kayla Arrowood says

I’m a homeschooling mother that loves reading your blog and I would enjoy these topics greatly!

Crystal says

I’m a homeschooling mom and am always looking for great tips! Thanks for the post 🙂

Mollie Hayes says

Love the homeschooling tips!! Wish we could chat about them in person, though!! Miss you!!

Comments