I have a delicious guest post for you today from my new friend Janelle who runs the awesome food blog Comfy in the Kitchen. Once you read this recipe I know you’ll want to go check out all the other deliciousness she has going on over at her site. Enjoy this treat!
I’ll never forget the first time I tried these Apple Dumplings at my Mother-in-Law’s house. She walked out of the kitchen wearing oven mitts holding the pan in her hands. She had a huge grin on her face and said I would never believe it- “Mountain Dew” was the *secret ingredient! “WHAT?!, who would ever think to put Mountain Dew in Apple Dumplings?!” I thought. Truly, I did not think they were going to be very good. But, I love my Mother-in-Law, so with a smile, my fork held high, and the silly comment “To my very FIRST caffeinated apple dumpling!” I dug in. “Mmmmm….WOW, are you serious!? Mountain Dew is in these?! These are delicious Kathy! Wohoo!” I said to her. I not only said it..I meant it…WOWSA! Alas, I have put aside my typical apple dumpling recipe (the kind that takes more time that I would like to admit) and showcase the most delicious EASY Apple Dumpling recipe you would ever stink you teeth into…enjoy ladies!
Peel, core and slice 3 Granny Smith apples (that is all you will need, honest).
Pour sauce over apple dumpling then add Mountain Dew to the sides.
- 3 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 (10 oz) cans pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls (I used Grands)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon (for spinkling)
- 1 (12 oz ) can of Mountain Dew
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter a 9x13 dish and set aside
- Peel, core and slice apples
- Unroll crescent rolls
- Take one crescent roll and place one piece of apple at the bottom of the triangle- roll up enclosing the sides. Make sure the apple is completely sealed and enclosed.
- Continue doing this - if your apple slices are small, put a couple in.
- Place your dumplings into your 9x13
- Make your sauce by combining butter, sugars, and vanilla in a saucepan on medium high heat- bring to a slight boil.
- Pour sauce over dumplings.
- Add Mountain Dew to the sides.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Bake uncovered for 35 mins.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream!