Menu Plan Monday ~ Jan 26/15

Menu Plan Monday for the week of Jan 26/15 at I'm an Organizing Junkie blog.  Join us!

Hi friends, ready or not it’s Monday again!  I’m so thankful for Menu Plan Monday to keep me on track and accountable for getting my menu plan done.  Although if I didn’t do one I wouldn’t have any idea what to buy for groceries when I go on Monday mornings now would I?  Just another reason why it’s a good idea to have a set grocery day :)

So I tried out my Paderno Spiralizer last week.  I made zucchini noodles and they turned out awesome! I’m going to make them again this week.

Then I used it with sweet potatoes (or are they yams?) and then deep fried them to a crispy deliciousness.  So fun!

spiralized sweet potatoes

This spiralizer was super easy to use and clean.  I’m very happy with it!

So I mentioned last week or the week before how I got up the nerve to try Brussels Sprouts.  This week I got up the nerve to try another new food.  Beets!  I was really scared and didn’t have a clue what to do with them.  Then I found these already cooked ones at Costco so I thought that might be a good place to start.

I just heated one up in the microwave to eat but I’ve got to admit it wasn’t delicious.  It was okay but I really need to figure out new ways to use them.  I’ve got a recipe on the menu this week that uses beets to make a mock BBQ sauce so I’m looking forward to that.  Do you love beets?  How do you eat them?

So I hope you all have an organized week with easy and delicious meals.  Take some time to plan your menu for the week and your life will be forever changed :)

My Weekly Menu Plan:

Monday:  Coconut Crusted Chicken with Creamy Avocado Sauce served with broccoli

Tuesday:  Quick Cheesy Taco Shell Skillet for the fam and Easy Bacon Shrimp Zucchini Noodle Scampi (without pepper flakes) for me.

Wednesday:  BBQ Apple Crock Pot Ribs served with Bacon Brussels Sprouts

Thursday:  Leftover buffet

Friday: Pizza Party Friday Night! For me Pineapple Salmon Foil Pack

Saturday:  Oven Baked Burgers and Garlic Roasted Butternut Squash

Sunday:  YOYO (you’re on your own!)

Menu Plan Guidelines, banner selections and recipe helpers are here.

More family favorite recipes here.

Don’t forget to join the growing Menu Plan Monday Facebook Page!!

My favorite menu planning resource:

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

27 Responses to Menu Plan Monday ~ Jan 26/15

Cathy @ Chief Family Officer says

I buy cooked beets at Trader Joe’s and dice them for salads. They’re super good with goat cheese :)

Thank you as always for hosting!

Janet says

Oh, you are a brave soul. Like Brussels Sprouts, beets are another veggie I can’t bring myself to try.

Have a great week!

Elisabeth says

I love picked beets (not sure that fits in with your diet though!) Simply recipes has a recipe, but the last time I made it from a cookbook I got out of the library. I also love them roasted with some butter and salt or just salt.

Rita says

It’s my goal to get a good spiralizer sometime soon. Being gluten-free, I know it would come in handy. Right now, I have a small hand-held one, but it is a bit hard to work with. Have a wonderful week!

Stephanie @ Sustaining the Powers says

You must be reading my mind. I posted a recipe for brussels sprouts roasted with prosciutto and kettle corn about a month ago, posted a recipe for roasted beet salad with goat cheese and beet pesto vinaigrette 2 weeks ago (it’s way better than those beets just out of the package), and last week I posted a recipe for Greek zucchini noodles with feta, artichokes, kalamata, and tomato. (Today I have a recipe for red lentil soup – #53 – to share with my meal plan.) I guess it’s that time of year when we all try to break out of the box!

kim kopp {the best is yet to come} says

Thanks so much for hosting us! I have still got to try my spiralizer. Keep hearing so many great reviews about it. PS ~ Like you I have grown to like brussels sprouts…. beets? i cannot do! :-)

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good says

“You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.” I used to be forced to eat beets as a child…never again!! :D Hope you find some way to make them palatable. Thanks for hosting, as always, Laura!

Jessica @ Nutritioulicious says

I think I need to get a different spiralizer – my hand held one is not making anything as beautiful as what I see in your pics above! So glad to hear you tried beets – I love them, and so do my twin girls, especially with goat cheese! :)

Tiffany says

I love beets!! They are delicious roasted. I cube them and toss them with carrots and squash in olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Salt and pepper to taste. Takes about 40 mins at 400. Yum!

Annette says

I need to get one of those Spiralizer’s. I hate julienne-ing by zucchini by hand and end up just slicing.

karen keiper says

We aussies love our beetroot. We have them cold with our salads. ( after cooking first! )On hamburgers etc. They are really good with goats cheese too like others have mentioned.

CraftyHope says

You’re so brave trying these ‘new’ veggies! I really want to try beets too but there’s such a split of either you like them or you don’t that it’s kept me away from them. You are inspiring me. I’m definitely going to have to keep my eye out for an intriguing beet recipe now. Maybe that’ll get my gumption up!

Mumma McD says

Loving your enthusiasm for the spiralizer!!! I love ours too, it’s amazing what veg (and fruit) you can turn into noodles!

Our meal plan this week is the 4th (and final) week in a Paleo challenge, however I’ve enjoyed it so much I’m going to carry on with the Paleo lifestyle as much as possible!

Angela says

Your noodles look great!!!

Leana says

I love beets! I think the pre-cooked ones would be great in a salad with some balsamic vinegar, olive oil and goat or feta cheese. I also really like to roast beets as a side dish.

Oh thank you Martha! I will definitely go check out your site too. Thanks for stopping by!

Lynn says

If you toss the beets in a little olive oil and roast them then pair it with your favorite smoked cheese, it’s amazing. We also roasted some red bell pepper and ate it with the beets and cheese. You could also use crackers!

Thanks Lynn! I can’t do dairy but I do think they might taste better roasted for sure :)

BeBetsy says

Hello! Hope you are well. Thanks for hosting another great party!!!

Have a wonderful day,

Sofia says

Okay I will not try beets, sorry just can’t do it! Just thought I’d let you know that I have YOYO now on my weekly menu because of you. Thank you for that very simple, yet helpful idea.

That’s awesome Sofia!

Ardelle says

Beet Borscht recipe. AWESOME! when you serve add a dollop of sour cream to each bowl and mix it in.

ang says

Thanks so much for including my skillet dinner in your menu plan – hope your family likes it!