Menu Plan Monday ~ Jan 12/15

Menu Plan Monday for the week of Jan 12/15

Hi friends, happy Monday to you!  So how did your menu plan turn out last week?  Any successes to share with us?  Any fantastic recipes tried that you’d like to share with us?

I not only tried a new recipe last week but a new food as well.  I grew up hating brussels sprouts.  I mean Yuck with a capital Y.  So here we are 25 years later and I haven’t tried them since.  But now that I have to eat veggies all the good long day (this has taken some getting use to for me) I thought I’d better line up some new options before I really went crazy with veggie boredom.  My husband picked up some brussels sprouts and every time I opened the fridge I would just stare at them and then shut the fridge again.  Just.couldn’  So he got on the Google and found a recipe and made them for me.  I can’t even begin to tell you how scared I was.  I was gagging before even taking my first bite.

Brussels Sprouts

But guess what?  They were good, really good.  No joke.  No one was more surprised than me.  I couldn’t believe it.  My hubbie used this recipe for Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds only without the almonds because I can’t eat those (also he used olive oil in place of butter).  He says the trick is to not overcook them. Has anyone else learned to like brussels sprouts later in life or have you always liked them for as long as you can remember?

Then wouldn’t you know it, just this week this post with 15 Brussels Sprouts Recipes popped up in my blog feed reader.  I thought I’d share it with you in case you were also looking for a new take on this veggie.

I hope you all have a deliciously organized week.  If there is anything I can do to help you or resources you need please let me know in the comments.

My Weekly Menu Plan:

Monday:  Cast Iron Chicken (without the potatoes and red pepper flakes)

Tuesday:  One Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni

Wednesday:  Orange Honey Pork Chops served with Sweet Potato Home Fries

Thursday:  Leftover buffet

Friday:  Pizza Party Friday Night! and Garlic Honey Lime Shrimp for me

Saturday:  Cheese Ravioli Lasagna and Easy Honey-Glazed Salmon for me

Sunday:  YOYO (you’re on your own!)

Menu Plan Guidelines, banner selections and recipe helpers are here.

More family favorite recipes here.

Don’t forget to join the growing Menu Plan Monday Facebook Page!!

My favorite menu planning resource:

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

24 Responses to Menu Plan Monday ~ Jan 12/15

Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens says

You always have such great meal planning ideas! Such a wonderful resource for quickly putting together a grocery list for a whole week’s worth of yummy meals! Thanks so much for including our Easy Honey-Glazed Salmon! Even kiddos absolutely love this one – so excited for your readers to try it, too! Have a fantastic week! :D

Kristina says

I just wish I could think of another name for Brussels sprouts. Then maybe I could convince my family they really are not bad with these great recipe ideas.

kim kopp {the best is yet to come} says

I can so relate to this post! I HATED brussels sprouts growing up and could not get them down. Today? I LOVE roasted brussels sprouts tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted! Thanks so much for hosting us… look forward to checking out all the great menus.

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good says

Oh, Laura…I am SOO much like you in this!! I even gagged looking at the picture! But if you can try them again, maybe I can too. I too am needing to get more variety in my vegetable eating (I really don’t like many vegetables at all, so it has been a sad sort of challenge) and find recipes that I can tolerate. I just might have to check out the produce isle for some *gulp* brussels sprouts. Thanks for sharing your bravery!!

Emily says

I, too, am a late-adopter of Brussels Sprouts. My sister loved them – we would go to grandma & grandpa’s house for lunch and she would practically jump for joy when they came to the table. I, on the other hand, would hide from anything green. But a few years back, we were having Thanksgiving at my in-laws’ house and my niece who was 6 at the time was eating them. Well, I could not refuse her sweet request to try some! :) And I’m glad I did. They were frozen, and my SIL boiled them, then roasted them in a frying pan on the stove with a ton of butter & salt/pepper at the end. Big yes for me! They were great. I now eat them myself, even though my hubby isn’t a fan and neither of my boys will touch them. :) They’re kind of nutty, have a texture like lettuce in my opinion, and I quite enjoy them just a little charred on one side. :) Yum! Give ’em a try – you may be surprised.

Gretchen says

I only started liking Brussels Sprouts in the last year since going paleo!

Janet says

I still can’t bring myself to try Brussels Sprouts. Maybe one day.

Keri says

I have really tried to like brussels sprouts, but I just can’t make them work. I did try a new recipe last week: parmesan roasted butternut squash from Budget Savvy Diva. It was easy to make and so good!

Mellisa says

Hi there,
    I too hated Brussel Sprouts, however I found a great recipe on Pinterest:

This ladies is the best! Ive even purchased shaved Brussel sprouts from my market and love it!! I hope you can give it a try. I drain most the bacon grease and only use a small amount :)

Mridu at Life is Organized says

I never tried brussel sprouts until about 4 years ago…I loved them too. Who do they get such a bad name?! ;)

Also, very excited about the salmon recipe. Thank you!

SusanDR says

I had to laugh at your Brussel Sprouts story! I too think I hate them, though I am not sure that in my 56 years I have ever tasted one. Poor Brussel Sprouts – what did they do to deserve such bias? Your post has inspired me to try them soon. I even saw them recently sold at Trader Joe’s on the stalk. I had never seen that before. Thanks for the push to be more daring in my vegetable selection!

Tabitha P says

We just rediscovered brussel sprouts last year thanks to a friend. And it is all in the cooking! They have to be cooked just right to be good :) I’m glad we weren’t the only ones afraid to try them again after being scarred when we were younger from badly boiled sprouts lol (We’re actually having a sprout for dinner tonight!)

Jilly says

I LOVE brussel sprouts! I cannot get my niece and nephews to eat them either. BUT, my husband, who never liked them, LOVES them now. I make them a lot of different ways!

Thanks for hosting this link up! 2013 I think I hit every week, then last year, life and work got away from me, but I am determined to be better this year!

CraftyHope says

I always been the weird girl who LOVES brussels sprouts. However, not everyone in my family and friend circle has felt the same way. I was able to get them over that by roasting the sprouts simply with some olive oil, S&P, and small strips of bacon. The bacon really wins anyone over!!

Mumma McD says

Hi all

I was NEW last week but forgot to tell you! I’ve just linked my week 2 Paleo Challenge meal plan to the linky… thanks :)

The Paleo lifestyle is free from dairy, gluten, grains, legumes and refined sugar, so lots of vegies, good quality meat, good fats and some fruit. It’s actually been really easy so far! Check out my blog and meal plan for more info :)

Hope everyone has a great week!

Heather @ My Sweet Mission says

Hi Laura. Thank you for including my Cheese Ravioli Lasagna in your Saturday Menu Plan, I’m honored and I appreciate it! You have a fun and yummy site and I enjoyed looking around!

Have a sweet week.

Candace says

I agree! I hated Brussels sprouts & now think they are sooooo good.

Esperanza says

I love Brussels sprouts, but my family does not. I may have to try one of these recipes and see if I can change their minds.

Tina Shaw says

Yes! Doing Weight Watchers, I have learned to like many vegetables (we did very few growing up…mostly mashed potatoes)! My most favorite brussel sprouts recipe came from Kelly Ripa several years ago – Kelly Ripa’s Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash & Chestnuts (only we use pecans, but I guess you could skip the nuts altogether if those are an issue for you!)

BeBetsy says

Thanks for hosting another great party this week. Keep up the great work!