Menu Plan Monday ~ Jan 14/13 - %%sitetitle%%

Menu Plan Monday ~ Jan 14/13

mpm-1

Welcome back menu planner extraordinaires!  I had a pretty tasty week and even followed my menu plan exactly which doesn’t always happen :)  My favorite dish though had to be the Hot Pizza Dip.  Quick and easy to throw together for a fun appy night or even a potluck.  We ate it with crackers but tortilla chips would have been good too.

Hot Pizza Dip

Speaking of potlucks, I would love to hear how you handle them for your parties or church events.  At our church here they do it by assigning dish types by last name which was a new experience for me.  For example, last names from A to M would bring a main dish and N to Z would either bring a dessert or salad.  It works fine I guess but something about telling people what to bring takes the luck out of the pot if you know what I mean.  So being that I’m part of the organizing committee for the next potluck, we are going to attempt a true old fashion potluck where guests just bring whatever dish they want.  It’s my favorite way to do it because it’s always fun to see what happens.  It’s exciting.  I never stress about it because I find that these things just have a way of working out :)  I know there are people that always worry there won’t be enough food but a great rule of thumb for potlucks is each person brings a dish big enough to serve the number of people in their own family.  I love potlucks and I love seeing how God shows up.  How about you?

Menu Planning Help:

Cutting Your Kitchen Prep Time in Half – or more!

Reminder:

Our Recipe Index Round-Up list is growing!  Don’t forget to add your own.

My Weekly Menu Plan:

Monday:  Pizza Casserole

Tuesday:  Pretzel Crusted Honey Mustard Chicken served with perogies and corn

Wednesday:  Slow-Cooked Pork Roast served with rice and broccoli

Thursday:  Leftover buffet

Friday:  Turkey Bacon Sharp Cheddar Sandwiches plus for Greek dinner club I’ll be making Quinoa Greek Salad

Saturday:  Breakfast for dinner ~ Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Bread Pancakes

Sunday:  YOYO (you’re on your own!)

WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK?  JOIN US!

Menu Plan Guidelines, banner selections and recipe helpers are here.

More family favorite recipes here.

Don’t forget to join the growing Menu Plan Monday Facebook Page!!

One of my favorite menu planning resources:

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

Comments

29 Responses to “Menu Plan Monday ~ Jan 14/13”
    Lynn says:

I agree, I like everyone to just bring whatever to potluck type meals. It is fun to see what God does. I don’t think I have ever been to a meal like that where there was not enough food. It seems like it does have a way of just working out. And in my experience some of the best food is at potluck type church dinners.

I served that Hot Pizza Dip at a party I had over the weekend. It was really good, and super easy!

I am sharing my January Meal Plan. Hope it gives you some inspiration! :) Happy Monday!

Gina says:

I generally trust that it will all work out, but the groups I’m in tend to designate because we’ve had events where there are 30 desserts and no entrees! It’s always easiest to bring dessert, so I think that’s what people tend to do.

My 14-yo is in marching band, and every December, in lieu of a regular marching band Boosters meeting, we have a potluck. We never assign, and according to the one mom (who has been involved with the Boosters for the past 6 years), it’s never NOT worked out. :-) I’ve only been involved for the past 3 years, and these have been my only experiences with true potlucks. I love it! It’s always a good time, and I’ve collected quite a few recipes from the other moms and dads.

Have a good week, Laura!

I usually do a sign up sheet on a first-come, first-serve basis – that way, there are a limited number of dessert slots, side dishes, main dishes, drinks, etc. But that is for a relatively small group (20 families or so). The main dish slots are usually the last to fill up, so I would worry that there wouldn’t be enough main dishes without the sign up, and that everyone would just bring a dessert, LOL! But maybe things are different with a larger group …

We had a pot luck dinner for our youth group last night. Ended up with tons of starchy items and desserts… But no one complained! It was delicious!

Tabitha says:

The hot pizza dip recipe looks absolutely amazing!! I will have to try that recipe!
    Dessert is probably one of my favorite things to take to a pot luck. I love pot lucks too. It’s a great way to try new recipes and spend time with friends! :)

Brianne says:

The Pizza Dip looks yummy! I will have to add it to our next party appetizer list!!

Charli says:

We have a bigger church (about 800) and I’ve helped plan the potlucks before. We assign by last name (A-M salad/veg, N-Z dessert) and the church supplies the main dish/meat. We do a pig roast in the fall and picnic food in the summer, plus other events. Obviously it’s just a suggestion but it helps to make sure all the food tables have a nice variety. Most people bring a 9×13 baker or enough to feed 10. By the way, the pizza dip looks incredible!

The only time I am ever involved in an organized potlock is when we are asked to bring stuff for a work party. Then usually we just have a sign in sheet. I think it would be good to organize the sign in sheet by the different types of foods you want so you don’t end up with all cookies and dips :) A lot of times people just revert back to what they always make – which is fine – but like I said you can only have so many taco dips.

I have been wanting to try pizza casserole for awhile. Looking forward to how that one turns out for you.

Tammy :)

Laura says:

The pizza casserole is delicious but I don’t think it’s too low fat unfortunately. I did use whole wheat pasta and light mozza cheese so that helps a bit :)

I love the “unknown” factor of pot lucks! The times that the variety has not been so wide have been few and far between, and the fun of seeing how different contributions go together is always fascinating to me.

I have got to try the pizza dip. Looks so tasty! Have a great week!

Julieann says:

Laura, your menu as always looks wonderful, and that Hot Pizza Dip looks sooooooooooo good. I am going to have to try that. I always get such wonderful ideas here :)

Julieann

Jean says:

I prefer just see what everyone brings potlucks also. I’ve been in groups though where one person simply kept track and let everyone know what each member was planning to bring so if you were late in picking out a dish (as I tend to be) you could see where a need might be and possibly fill it. Thanks for hosting Meal Plan Monday!

Crystal says:

The hot pizza dip looks amazing!! It made me hungry for pizza. Thanks for the great ideas :)

That pizza dip looks delicious! So excited to see that you’ve got pizza casserole on the menu again! Thanks, as always, for linking to it and sharing the recipe! :)

Colleen F says:

I have seen it done both ways, with assigning certain groups to certain types and then just random.

At the last 4-H potluck we had side dishes, salads, and desert, no one brought a main dish.

Also did have a pot luck several years ago that ran out of food. It was the football banquet and I think what happened is that several parents sent their boys, without sending a dish to share.

On a side note, we had a pastor once that didn’t want them called potlucks, he said that with God we didn’t need to rely on luck, instead I think he wanted them called something like a covered dish meal.

Jenn says:

Happy New Years! Here is this week’s plan:

M – Veggie loaded spaghetti w/ tofu, salad
    Tu – Veggie & tofu stir-fry over brown rice, salad
    W – Veggie fritata, fresh fruit, blueberry pancakes or grits
    Th – leftovers
    F – Margarita pizza and salad
    Sat-Sun – leftovers or out

Here’s another great Whole Wheat Banana Pancake recipe (although, I sub blueberries for the banana!).

Enjoy!

Potlucks are the best thing ever. This is a great idea-thanks for sharing!!

Crystal & Co says:

I just noticed my turkey bacon cheddar sandwiches are on your menu this week. You’re gonna love them! Such an easy dinner night too. :)

Sara H says:

Our old church was very small so we did our potlucks the way you describe. Our new church is much larger so we just bring whatever we feel like. I think the old church did it that way so we didn’t end up with 25 tater tot casseroles. :D Speaking of casseroles, that pizza one looks very tasty. I will probably have to try it. :)

What great ideas! Thanks for sharing! That hot pizza dip looks fantastic!

Comments