Hi friends, here we are at Friday again. That went quick didn’t it? :) So how are you making out with the challenge? Are you beginning to see the light? What has been the most eye opening for you thus far?
I received some questions on Facebook that I wanted to take a moment to answer here.
1. Quite a few of you have asked me about numbers. How much should you keep of this or that, what is the right number? I can’t answer that for you though. It’s so very personal and will differ for each person. There is no right and wrong here. You will need to figure this out for yourself because it all comes down to what you have the room to store and what’s a priority for you in that space. For instance if you have a love of scrapbooking and want to keep your supplies, you have to have the room to store them (and no piles on the floor don’t count!). If you don’t have the room to store them, then you purge until it fits. If you don’t want to purge them, then you have to be willing to sacrifice something else. For instance, perhaps you could pare down your pantry stock in order to make room for your scrapbooking supplies in there. Does that make sense?
Another trick that I love is limiting what you keep with the use of a “limiting” container. This is your visual to know when enough is enough. You decide the size of the container and limit supplies to what will fit inside. It will help you make future purchasing decisions too because you will know in order to buy something new you’ll have to get rid of something in the container to make room.
2. Rachel asked about the best way to organize scrapbook stickers, should they be put in one huge box/binder/system or should they be sorted them by event (eg, birthdays, christmas, baby). Again there is no right or wrong answer. What I say to this is store them by how you look for them. Pay attention next time you scrapbook to your habits and how you search for things. Store them to what makes sense for you and you will waste so much less time hunting for what you need. Do what works for the way you operate.
3. Mandi asked how to decide what art to keep from kids? What to keep & when to toss? Again a “limiting” container is my answer for this one and let your kid’s choose their favorites! I wrote about how I use memory binders and keepsake totes for my kid’s stuff and it really does put a limit on what can be kept. Another reader responded with a terrific idea. Scan the artwork and create photobooks with the pictures. Fantastic!
4. Cheryl asked for suggestions for shredding because she has a lot of paper to dispose of. I didn’t know this (I’m in Canada) but a reader told us that places like FedEx and OfficeMax have shredding services. Definitely might be something to look into and worth the cost especially if your piles are taking up valuable real estate!
5. Tammy had a question about clothes and what to do with them all especially all the ones she no longer fits into that she paid good money for. I wrote a post about this that might help –>Clothes Purging – How to Let Go.
6. Joan is wondering about how to get her motivation spark back? Joan perhaps you could ask a friend to help you. What you might need is a set of new eyes to give you a fresh perspective. Sometimes new ideas with regards to space planning and solutions are right there in front of us but we get so accustomed to our spaces we don’t even see them. That might be all it takes to light your organizing fires again :) Don’t give up!!
Finally the last thing I wanted to tell you about is a great new site that helps you find different charity organizations to donate your stuff to. Check it out at The Stuff Shop. Very resourceful!
Please feel free to link up below any progress you’ve made during the challenge so far. Big or little it’s all good! Don’t forget to celebrate your accomplishments!!
**Don’t forget to check out all the amazing sponsors, they are AWESOME!!**
Remember to link up to your specific blog post and not to the main page of your blog. Also by entering your link, you are giving me permission to use any part of your post including pictures in a spotlight on I’m an Organizing Junkie (proper credit and links will be given to you, of course!)
PS: It’s not too late to join in the fun, this challenge goes on all month. All details can be found here and prizes will be awarded based on who links up to the final link up at the end of the month.
You may also like -