Menu Plan Monday ~ Nov 14/11

Hello everyone!  Okay so last week I served a delicious meal and yes I get super excited about it because it doesn’t always happen that way.  My friends say the reason my cooking doesn’t improve is because I rarely make the same recipe twice.  Could be but gosh wouldn’t that be boring if I simply linked to the same recipes here week after week?  It’s gotten so I really enjoy the challenge of finding and sharing new recipes with you and I always know that a recipe is a great one when it works out for me the first time trying.  A recipe not even I can screw up?  Now that’s my kind of recipe!   I don’t want to have to make a recipe four and five times to get it just right.  I want it to be fabulous the first time I make it.  Am I asking too much?  No I don’t think so, I’ve got a whole recipe index of great tried and true recipes that says otherwise.  Besides I prefer to blame the recipe and not my lack of cooking ability when a recipe doesn’t turn out so great…hahaha.  What do you think?

Oh so what is this great dish I am talking about (geez I get easily sidetracked don’t I?).  It was the Make-Ahead Unstuffed Shells and it was soooo good.

credit: kraft canada

I will admit that as I was making this dish I wondered why it even called for shell pasta and not just any pasta because you sort of just mix everything together and the shells don’t get stuffed.  Well let me tell you somehow the cream cheese mixture gets trapped into those shells anyway.  I was totally fascinated by it (it takes so little) and my first thought was “this would be great for company!”.  So there you go.  As I was doing my MPM blog tour this evening I noticed a few others had it on their menus last week as well.  What did you think of it?

Anyone else try out a recipe last week that turned out amazing?  Share the link with us in the comments!

Here’s what we’ll be eating this week:

Monday:  Rustic Skillet Chicken

Tuesday:  Prairie Pork Chops served with rice

Wednesday:  Tortellini Vegetable Soup (I’ll make it earlier in the day and throw it into the slow cooker) served with Bread Machine Garlic Bread

Thursday:  Leftover buffet

Friday:  Makeover Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta

Saturday:  Waffles of Insane Greatness (family favorite)

Sunday:  YOYO (you’re on your own)

WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK?

Menu Plan Guidelines, banner selections and recipe helpers are here.

The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Comments

32 Responses to Menu Plan Monday ~ Nov 14/11

Tiffany says

I love finding a new favorite recipe. Isn’t it funny how the shape of the pasta affects the flavor? Thanks for hosting the link up!

Lynn says

That pasta dish looks really good and could easily be made gluten free by using gluten free pasta. I love quick and easy meals like that. Have a great week.

Mamie @homegrown beanes says

The shell pasta dish looks amazing. How did you handle this for your milk allergic son? My 5 year old is milk allergic and I typically make one dinner for our family that is safe for him.

After we cooked up the beef we left out some for my son and he mixes it with his own rice pasta. He prefers to eat very plain food so he’s happy to have it like that :)

Hogward says

I love to have Tortellini Vegetable Soup. Particularly i like to stuff it with cheese.

Surf Momma says

So glad your unstuffed shells turned out well! I got my Kraft Food and Family and marked it to try soon!

Liz@PocketChangeGourmet says

Thanks for hosting Laura! Second week in a row that I forgot about your time change.
    ~Liz@HoosierHomemade & Pocket Change Gourmet

Tammy @ Skinny Mom's Kitchen says

Last week I tried a baked oatmeal dish for the first time and it was AMAZING. I followed a couple different recipes and I am going to post the final version this week on my blog.

I love any type of make ahead meal. They make life sooo much easier during the week. I bet you can even freeze the shell dish.

Thanks again for hosting.

Tammy @ Skinny Mom’s Kitchen

April @ Angel Foods Kitchen says

Hi Laura :) Those Waffles of Insane Greatness sure look good. I’ve noticed them on several other blogs before. I’ll have to try them.

Thanks for hosting and have a great week!

Angela says

I make a batch of those waffles every week and my son eats them for breakfast every day – we love them!!!

Judi @ Frugal Frolic says

Thanks for hosting :)

I am always trying new recipes… there are so many great looking recipes out there to try! Occasionally they turn out not-so-great, but I learn something from most. Last week I made a lasagne in my crockpot for the first time. I was very skeptical (could this really work?) but it turned out great! Here’s the link from Frugal Upstate: http://www.frugalupstate.com/recipes/recipe-crock-pot-lasagna/

Have a wonderful week!

Mindi says

I’m going to have to try out that pasta dish and now your inspiring me to ask for a waffle maker for Christmas. I think we would use it all the time! My 2 year old loves pancakes but after awhile they get a little old even for him.

Kelly @ Dysfunctionally Functional says

I’m definitely going to try that waffle recipe. Just this morning, my 5-yo was a very unhappy little camper when she wanted waffles for breakfast and the cupboard – or, rather, the freezer – was bare…of waffles, at least.

I’m all excited this early afternoon because I’m making my first batch of bread machine bread. Here’s hoping that it comes out good!

Have a great week!

Janet says

I love when a new recipe turns out great. Thanks for sharing this find. It sounds delicious!

Queen of the House says

We loved the Make Ahead Unstuffed Shells also!!!!! I did make it with rotini, and it was still very nummy! I am putting shells on my grocery list though, for the next time! :D

Oh so glad you liked it too. I think next time I make it I might try adding some diced peppers for a veggie. That way I don’t have to serve anything else on the side :)

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen says

We went to make those waffles this morning, but our waffle maker was broken :( We love them though!

Your tortellini soup looks wonderful – just be sure not to add the tortellini until 1 hour before serving, or they will be mushy from cooking all day in your crockpot.

Yes I should have been more specific about that in my post because I learned that lesson some time ago the hard way :)

Danielle says

I did make a new recipe last week that turned out really good! It was the first time that I had ever used Gnocchis, so I was a little nervous. But everyone loved it and the kids (ages 4 and 1) ate a bunch! That makes it a winner in my book!!! http://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/283893

Missy says

thank you for hosting this. This is only my second post hope it is better than last week. I added a few recipes this time and will start adding pics as the time goes by. I just started blogging for people other than my husband. lol

Food on the Table says

I love to try new twists on some of my tried and true recipes. But this make ahead unstuffed shells dish sounds really good and I am definitely going to have to give it a try!

Dana says

I tried this this past week and the whole family loved it! That’s quite a feat considering I have a 2, 4 and 6 year old who all have such varied tastes!

Andrea Scoville says

I had the same experience with the unstuffed shells. They came out DELICIOUS! The WHOLE family loved them… HAPPY DANCE!!! WOOO HOOO!!! Thanks so much for pointing me there :) I think I may even make up some batches for Christmas gifts for my family members that don’t cook for themselves very often. Thanks again!!!

Yay, I’m so glad!!!