52 Weeks: #25 Don’t just think about it

If you are new to 52 Weeks of Organizing, catch up here!

Okay let me tell you a little story about my messy lazy susan.  This one to be exact:

The bottom not so bad, the top barely balancing there.  Something always ended up dropping in behind yet I did nothing about this problem for weeks.  Why?  Because I couldn’t think of a good solution to solve the problem.

Yet doing nothing about the problem solves nothing.

Every time I opened the cupboard I would think about it and think about it some more but that sure didn’t get me very far.

In order for change to happen you have to take action.

The only way to do that is just to begin.  So as always I began by pulling everything out onto the counter first.

Before putting everything back in though I played with a few configurations before settling on one.  This wasn’t nearly as daunting empty as it was looking at it with everything jammed in.  I decided I liked the idea of switching things around a little.

An empty space opens your mind to a variety of possibilities.  Sometimes it’s hard to see past the clutter.

Do you know the whole process took me less than 20 minutes.  20 minutes!  Weeks of aggravation that was solved in 20 minutes.

Lesson:  Don’t just think about it, do it!

I hear it all the time from readers…”I was surprised how little time it actually took”.  They’ll say to me “I put it off thinking it was going to take forever and was so happy when it took no time at all”.

This week’s challenge is to pick a small space in your house, an area you’ve been avoiding because you either think it will take to long or that you are stumped with what to do with it, and get it organized.

Are you up for the challenge?  Come back and leave me a comment when you finish.  Tell me about your space, what you did and how long it took.

Starting now, go! :)

Please feel free to share your organizing journey and encourage one another in the comments. You are also invited to link up to the linky below with any posts related to your 52 weeks of organizing participation or to any post of an organizing nature that you feel will inspire and encourage others in their quest to get organized. Please remember to link back to here though so we can reach out to as many people as possible in need of some inspiration.

One other thing to consider: by including your link below you, you are giving me permission to use parts of your post including pictures as a spotlight in future 52 Weeks of Organizing posts. Proper credit and links will of course be provided. If you are not okay with this please do not link up. Thanks!

Filed under: 52 Weeks of Organizing

Comments

40 Responses to 52 Weeks: #25 Don’t just think about it

Jenn says

I have the exact same lazy susan beside our dishwasher! We ended up using ours for pantry storage. Too bad I don’t have another one to use for tupperware! Have a great weekend! :)

Hi Jenn, I prefer to store my tupperware in a cupboard with a pull out drawer but unfortunately in this house we don’t have any of those :(

April @ Birch in the Breeze says

I look at your corner cupboard with envy! Today I’m stuggling with a corner cupboard but it’s only got one door so we can’t do the lazy susan, it’s just a space that’s asking for a mess!

There’s always a solution, you can do it!!

Nickeletta says

What a beautiful “after”… And I love the yellow bowl with the smiley face!

It’s getting a bit old on us now but we use it all the time because it’s the perfect size popcorn bowl :)

Linda Stoll says

Ain’t that the truth! The things we dread doing and keep putting off start to take on a life of their own. And in the end, once we just DO IT, just take care of what needs to be done, we discover that it wasn’t so hard to accomplish after all …

;-}

Marsha Seiberling says

I pretty much ended up choosing right for this past week. It didn’t take me long to clean off the coffee table, and so far so good at keeping it cleared and looking nice.

Leslie says

I am now living on my own for the first time in my life. I technically lived on my own in college but I lived in a sorority so there wasn’t too much work required there. But anyway, I work 9-5 everyday and when I get home to a pile of dishes, I feel so discouraged. So I always put it off til the morning and surprise surprise, I’m running late and the pile of dishes, trash, and everything in between just continues to grow. I think it’s so hard to get yourself to stay organized all the time, especially when you’re so tired from work and really would like to just sit and relax! But you’re right, if I just got over it and spent 30minutes to clean, I’d have a clean kitchen in no time!

It really does make a huge difference!

Susie @ Crystal light Coupons says

What an encouragement, I have a big project and have been putting it off
    and the best thing is just Do it! Once you start the rest will be easy.

Di says

Just found your 52 week idea. So I am getting started, just 25 weeks late. I figure this is my week one. And if I have time I can double the weeks. Thanks for motivating me.

Brooke @ Waiting to Rise says

That is exactly what my lazy susan looks like too. I need to get on that for sure…..I’m out of town this weekend, but Monday after work, that is what I’m tackling…I’m sure I will be surprised by what I find…I only use what I can see!

Dee says

I just learned about you so I am also joining this late…will you do it again next year? I will go to that horrible corner where I have dumped my Creative Memories stuff and organize it. It has been bugging me for 6 months. I will laugh when I also find that 1 hour or 20 minutes worth of time took care of a problem that has bugged me for months. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hi Dee, not sure yet if I’ll do it next year or not but feel free to jump in now and join us. The more the merrier!

Mary@Mary'sLittleCorner says

I just discovered your blog and I love it. I can’t wait to start the 52 weeks. What do you do if you are starting in the middle of the year? Oh well anyways I will start some how and get going on it even if I am behind. [o=

Blessings!
    -Mary

Hi Mary, thanks for joining us! Just start off wherever you’d like. We’re halfway through so you could do two tasks a week or just jump in now. It’s all good!!

bee says

My lazy susan looks like your before picture. And i plan on changing that on monday! We have been tackling the closets the last few weeks, and it just feels so much better having things organized !

Shannon says

I tackled the pile of clean laundry in the master bathroom. Two things happened…it only took 15 minutes and in less than two hours I also managed to clear off the counter (as good as it gets until we get a medicine cabinet or something) and sort the cupboards and drawers…I can’t believe how good it looks! I did the same thing with the dishes…11 minutes later I was draining the sink. If that’s not motivation to just do the dishes, I can’t imagine what is!

YES! Thank you for being an encouragement to others by posting this :)

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart says

Just send me the smiley face bowl and no one will get hurt. LOL! I collect smiley face things and I honestly couldn’t concentrate after I saw it peeking out from behind everything. You said something about a lazy susan? Well I hope Susan got her act together. Now about that bowl. LOL!

Kim, this made me giggle because I too use to collect happy stuff and filled my office (when I worked outside the home) with all sorts of happy. It truly made me happy and those that entered to. Once I came home though I didn’t have the space it and had to let it all go. Except for the happy face bowl though..it got to stay! :)

• 15.1.1
        Kim @ Homesteader's Heart says

You know it looked a little cramped in there. I’m pretty sure you don’t have the room for it. Susan looks a little weak and tired of holding it. Just know that if you EVER get sick of it, for any reason that I can’t even think of, I’ll take it. Seriously, call me! LOL!

Caprice says

You’ve inspired me to tackle the cupboard that I’ve been irritated with for years now!

Di says

I have decided that I should take before and after pictures for MY benefit. That way I can see progress even if the progress doesn’t maintain itself. After walking thru the house, I figure even if I clean a surface, it won’t stay that way until I finish all the areas. I am also going to make a map of all the areas, list them in the computer divided up by shelves, etc. When I finish I will add the photo and change the font or something. Also, I am not waiting for all of it to be put into the computer before starting. Just doing the pics today and 1 shelf.

I totally encourage you to take pictures…they are so motivating. Just think how great it will feel to look back at all you accomplished. So excited for you!!

Di says

Took my pictures. There are 130 areas that need attention and a few that are the way I want them, but need cleaning (and dusting). So it figures out to 3 areas a day if I expect to finish by the end of the year. Not bad, but I think I need to delegate.

Becky L. says

This past week I took a few minutes to clear away some papers, including clothing tags we keep when we first buy stuff and wash it. Make sure the stuff doesn’t fall apart in a couple wearings, Well, all that was done in about 5 minutes and makes the little counter spot with some pens and business cards in a tiny basket look much better.It’s a drop spot, seems like. Slowly I’m clearing desk with computer on it. Always a drop spot as well! It only takes a few minutes to make a spot better…..oh I weeded some last evening outside, does that count? It looks better too! :0)

Weeds are definitely clutter! lol

Sabrina says

I organized our family first aid kit and made sure all the items were not expired and with all the things needed for an emergency! Great challenge.

Di says

Worked on piano/living room, finished the blue bathroom–except 2 shelves which I am saving as small jobs to do on a busy day. Off to do more in the piano room

Sue from Livin In Duckville says

Hi Laura,

I have been following 52 Weeks of Organizing and I absolutely love it. I have not linked up because 1. I haven’t followed faithfully & have been organizing in bursts & spurts 2. I can’t quite figure out how to link you to my blog yet (I’m new to blogging & it’s a little overwhelming) 3. I’m a Teacher’s Assistant and school just ended for me last week. AND 4. Until just 2 weeks ago, when King Turd of Poop Mountain bought a new super easy camera, I couldn’t figure out how to post pics from the camera to the computer…… ok… so there’s my list of procrastination stuff….
    Here’s my dilemma: Last week I completely organized & cleaned our living room. I moved out what I could (I used those little furniture moving disks – WONDERFUL!!!) and cleaned & moved as I went with the rest of the stuff…. I didn’t put everything back in. It feels better & looks better – more open. The thing is, many of the things I left out of the room I still ‘love’, but I don’t know where to put them. How do you get rid of stuff or what do you do with stuff that you still really ‘love’?

Thanks!!

Well that’s a million dollar question for sure. What helps me is adding a second part to the questions I ask myself. The first is of course, do I love it? Your answer yes. The second part, do I use it? Even if you love it but have no home for it, it’s clutter. Let me know if you find a home and if you don’t take a picture of it to preserve the memory. Good luck!!

The Bearded Iris says

Hi Laura! I’m still plugging away in my office, but I needed a change of scenery this week so I went outside and pulled some weeds. It was a project I had been avoiding because I had really let it go and was afraid it would be too hard, but I did what you said and JUST DID IT! And you were right… not so bad after all. In fact, I got so much more weeding done than I had expected to do and my husband was SO impressed! Thanks for the push!

Comments