Menu Plan Monday ~ Sept 13th - %%sitetitle%%

Menu Plan Monday ~ Sept 13th

How did your menu planning turn out last week?  If you struggle with sticking to your plan, could it be your recipes are just a little too ambitious?  I find that the times I don’t always stick to my menu plan are when the recipes I’ve selected are a little more work than I bargained for and I just can’t muster up the energy to cook them.  Now I just always assume that I’m going to be tired come 4 or 5 o’clock and plan accordingly.  In other words I need easy to throw together dishes with simple straight forward ingredients.  I posted before about my recipe criteria.  It really helps!

A few weeks back someone asked about what I do for sides on the days that I’ve just got a meat recipe listed.  I don’t sweat the sides because I always make sure to have in my pantry potatoes and rice and in my freezer perogies and french fries.  If I remember to throw them in on time, baked potatoes are super easy as is rice since I just throw it into the rice cooker and away it goes.  For veggies, we alternate between frozen veggies, broccoli, or an assortment of raw.  My family prefers them raw to cooked so I usually cut a bunch up every few days and leave them in the fridge ready to go.  I really don’t get too fancy with my sides and wherever I can I just try to incorporate the veggies into the dish I’m cooking even if it’s not called for.  For instance, zucchini and/or peppers added to most pasta dishes are yummy!

What are favorite sides in your house?

Our favorite recipe from last week was the Italian Sausage and Potato Roast.  Now talk about an easy, healthy meal to prepare (I used turkey sausage), not to mention delicious!   I love when you can just throw everything together in one pan like that and will definitely be making this one again and again.

Thanks for visiting and/or linking up!  Can’t wait to check out your posts!

On our menu this week:

Monday: Made over Tater Tot Casserole

Tuesday: Slow Cooker Beef Stew (family favorite!)

Wednesday: Saucy Mexican Chicken (I’ll add chopped peppers as well) served with rice

Thursday: Leftover buffet

Friday: Teriyaki Sandwiches (slow cooker)

Saturday: Tortellini, Bean and Pesto Soup served with Bread Machine Garlic Bread

Simple Supper Sunday

WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK?

Menu Plan Monday guidelines and banner selections are here.

Looking for more recipes, check out some of my favorites!!

images courtesy of shutterstock

Comments

53 Responses to “Menu Plan Monday ~ Sept 13th”
    Laura says:

Sorry about that, not sure why comments were off. All fixed now!

Just wanted to thank you for featuring my Italian Sausage and Potato Roast recipe! It is easy and a favorite at my house too! Thanks for posting the Menu Plan Monday Linky every week. You single handedly keep my motivated to plan my menu on Mondays :)

The Italian Sausage and Potatoes dish may just have to make it on my menu next week. Sounds fabulous!

We usually keep sides pretty simple around here, too. Oven fries are a favourite for burger or sandwich night! If I’m making a soup or stew I’ll usually bake cornbread, biscuits or rolls to serve alongside.

I usually don’t “fancy up” my side veggies too much, but if the main entree is rather simple I’ll make something a bit more special, like my cheesy vegetable casserole or a bacon, cheese and broccoli salad.

Julia says:

Broiled or grilled veggie kabobs are a favorite side dish of ours. I finally replaced our skewers so we can have them again this week!

I find I REALLY need to plan sides or else produce goes bad and unused. We do frozen or fresh veggies. I like to roast veggies when I’m cooking something in the slow cooker (oven is free). We do baked fries, bread and fruit. Keeping it simple is key!!

During the week, while I’m busy, I keep our sides pretty simple. I will either saute veggies, using prepped ones from the fridge and/or ones from the freezer (homegrown) or make pasta with sauce or roasted potatoes. I also try to make a batch of pureed sweet potatoes during the week which I will serve as a dinner side, a snack, or as part of lunch.

Checked out the link for the Italian Sausage recipe….looks very nummy! I never even think of buying sausage….I bet my husband would be thrilled! :)

Rachel says:

Those teriyaki slow cooker sandwiches sound and look delicious! I’ll have to remember that one since fall and slower cooker weather is rapidly approaching us!

Tara V says:

as always thanks for the links and hosting! keeps me motivated. have a great week!

Melissa says:

Is it weird that I actually like making side dishes instead of the main protein dish? Sometimes I just make a bunch of sides for dinner. They do include veggies which my two year old LOVES (woohoo!, happy dance) and a starch of some kind and usually a salad. We aren’t big meat eaters so sometimes my sides turn into main meals.
    Thanks for the linky!

Jenny says:

I made the italian sausage and potato roast yesterday and it was a blast..Fiance and I almost finished what was made for 8 people (Or made to last for a couple of days). I saved the rest for us to bring to work today..Then this morning I woke up and found out that my portion was gone over night…Guess who woke up in the middle of the night and took a trip to the kitchen..I love how easy to make it and it’s yummy and healthy.

Tiffany says:

I keep side dishes simple. I always have a bag of frozen broccoli ready to go. We also like roasted veggies, like fresh broccoli, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower etc. Parmesan noodles is quick and easy or couscous or rice.

MemeGRL says:

Just my latest blue frog experience–being 10th made a big difference in loading speed and ease of use! And having loaded once at 9am, it was easier to load again later–don’t know if it was problem solved, or because I’d already done it once.
    Thanks for the tech help! Have a great week!

Allysgrandma says:

Wow I cannot believe so many links at 8:15 a.m. PST!! Love the ideas since I am cooking for the first time in 30 years!!

Laura Jane says:

Oh gosh- I’ve been looking for a great tater tot casserole for my little one. So excited to try this one out next week!

Laura says:

We made it tonight and it was good but unfortunately I only sliced my mushrooms (not chopped them as the recipe suggests) and unfortunately my kids revolted at the mushroom “chunks”. Next time I’ll know better!!

Heather says:

We’re such a fan of crock pot beef stew. My go-to fall/winter dish!

The teriyaki sandwiches look sooo good! Let us know how they turn out?

Michele says:

I still can not get mine to post! Anyway try checking mine out from here.

Laura says:

I added your link without problems #304. Did you click on the “add your link” button and add your info and then click “next step”? Let me know where you got stuck. Thanks!

Thank you thank you thank you for hosting this linky!

Thanks so much for including our Smiley Face Casserole (AKA Tater Tot makeover) in your line-up this week. I just went back into our original blog post and added some yummy new photos! Hope you like them.

Martha (MM) says:

I’m like you, keep it simple especially on weekdays. Good menu this week, I’m off to check out the tater tot casserole. Thanks for hosting!

*~jo~* says:

that mexican chicken sounds divine, gonna have to try it

Mmm, I am all over those teriyaki slow cooker sandwiches. Love anything that can cook away while I am playing with my kids, cleaning my house, or writing… Wheeeeee! It’s like MAGIC. :)
    Ok, maybe I get a little too excited about that.
    Barb, love your idea about making a big batch of pureed sweet potatoes to use throughout the week.
    I do green salad and/or fresh fruit for a side whenever I have the stuff on hand. Love having something cool, fresh & raw to go with our warm meal.

Our favorite side is, hands down, Make Ahead Twice-Baked Potatoes! But what we have most is a green salad with pick-your-own dressings. I also serve a plain(ish) veg with each meal. Okay, I try.

Johnlyn says:

I don’t really have a favorite side dish so I’m checking out the comments for inspiration!

I love having baby carrots around. We eat those several times a week. Frozen green beans sauteed in bacon grease is fabulous!

I made your bacon and cheddar muffins from last week’s post. Yum! :)

Laura, I had to leave for work at 7:20 this morning, and my sweet husband was trying to place my link on the list and didn’t get it right so he entered it again. My blog is on #109 & #123. Please delete #109. Thanks so much! :)

Hi Laura,

I recently discovered your blog and find it quite interesting. I am quite “religious” about my menu plan. I am extremely organized but can be flexible if we get an invitation or a guest show up at the last minute.

I work for an e-commerce and featured your blog in my blog entry today. Link at: http://www.notesandphotos.ca/blog/2010/09/13/organized-in-being-disorganized/

Long life to your blog! :-)

Catherine says:

In the spring/summer, my fall-back sides are salad, roasted potatoes, grilled green beans, roasted asparagus, corn on the cob. In the fall, we eat alot of sauteed spinach – sometimes with mushrooms, baked sweet potatoes, homemade apple sauce. In the winter, we eat a ton of soup – Italian bread, cornbread, and/or a salad are the standard sides.

Crista says:

Thank you for the italian sausage roast link! Plan A for tonite’s dinner fell thru and this was a quick and easy alternative! Super yummy!
    Thanks again!
    p.s. I left a comment over there, too :)

maggie says:

I find that my menu is great, it’s just sometimes I get lazy not feeling like cooking, so on those days, I pull out last week frozen meal..
    Maggie
    http:??cuttingabove.blogspot.com

Hi Laura-
    I was just wondering how come my upload shows a RED X next to my name/web, etc…? Is that because it is mine and I cannot see it our is that because something is wrong or I did something wrong, it is only since the new version of uploading… I am # 47 this week, WHA HOO, I uploaded on time :)

Thank you for your encouragement and accountibility, my family and self LOVE it!!!

Laura says:

Hi Barb, yes only you can see the red x. It’s there in case you make a mistake and need to delete your link for whatever reason. Totally normal, no worries :)

So happy menu planning is working out for you, woohoo!!

Bridgette says:

Having trouble finding all the links from those who posted their monday meal plans. Usually it shows up right below your blog post. Where can i view them? thanks.!!!!!

I am a big menu planner and I also like to do double batches so I can freeze servings to have on those days where a wrench gets thrown into the system and I get home from work late.

I also think that planning meals can mean having someone else doing the cooking. As a personal assistant, I love cooking homemade and healthy meals for my clients. It is nice to just have dinner ready without having to do any cooking at all.

Michell

Wanda says:

Heeeeeey! I am so glad I found you. A friend of mine sent me a link to your blog because she knows I am “just like you”. I just had to follow you and I will be reading it daily.

I suck at planning my meals. I really have to get into this! Thanks.

Sounds really delicious ……….
    DO you follow some diet?????????????????????????????????????????
    ok doesn’t matter………….