Menu Plan Monday ~ Feb 15th

Happy Valentine’s Day my friends!   I’m not a big fan of the sugar cookie and all the work that is involved in making them so I almost never do it which you’d find totally surprising if you saw how many cookie cutters I own.  Anyway my four year old really wanted to bring Valentine’s heart cookies to his little preschool class so in a weak moment I said yes and then promptly procrastinated the task until the night before they were needed.

Then I panicked and put out an SOS to my Twitter peeps.

I asked if anyone had a good sugar cookie recipe that didn’t call for dough chilling.  The whole idea of me psyching myself up to make cookies and then having to wait for dough to chill just burns me up.  When I’m on a roll (get it, roll, ha ha ha!), I don’t want to wait for no dough to chill.   Thankfully two ladies came to my rescue.  Lori from Not the Mother of the Year blog sent me the link to Large Batch Roll-Out Cookies from Wilton that require no chilling whatsoever.  Now that’s what I’m talking about!  We made up a batch of those babies and then realized we needed some kind of icing.  Only I was tired by this point and wanted something super easy.  Which is where Liz of Hoosier Homemade comes in.  I found a Sugar Cookie post on her blog where she shares that she just takes her cookies and dips them in melted chocolate and adds sprinkles.  So brilliant!  So easy!  So my new favorite method of cookie icing!  Thanks ladies for saving me, the cookies turned out great!

Helpful menu planning links for this week:

Menu Planning for a Month ~ @ Controlling My Chaos

Making an Easy Menu Plan that Actually Works for Busy Families ~ @ Home Sanctuary

Cute free menu planner download

Oh and for those who were wondering, the Broccoli Cheese Soup from last week was just awesome!!

Here’s what we’ll be eating this week:

Monday: Enchilada Casserole

Tuesday: Bruschetta Chicken served with perogies and veggies

Wednesday: Asian Pork Tenderloin served with rice and broccoli

Thursday: Leftover buffet

Friday: Rosemary Chicken Pizza

Saturday: Spud Special Soup served with Bread Machine Garlic Bread

Simple Supper Sunday ~ Church lunch potluck (still trying to determine, any suggestions?)

WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK?

Menu Plan Monday guidelines and banner selections are here.

The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Comments

60 Responses to Menu Plan Monday ~ Feb 15th

Angela says

Love the menu planning links – definitely checking those out. As always, thanks!!

Rita says

I don’t particularly care to make sugar cookies, but I really love to eat them! Yours look very pretty.

Thanks Rita!

The Happy Housewife says

I love Liz’s site, she has some great recipe ideas! I am checking out your broccoli cheese soup, it is a favorite of my daughter, and I have a lot of broccoli I need to use up this week.
    Toni

SnoWhite says

Your cookies are beautiful! I love the idea of melted chocolate frosting — yum.

I seriously would never have thought of that on my own. :)

Liz@HoosierHomemade says

Wow! Thanks so much for the shout-out! Your cookies turned out great and I bet your little guy was so proud to take them to school.
    The Enchilada Casserole sounds great! Thanks so much for hosting!
    ~Liz

Thanks again Liz for your help!

Christine@Money Funk says

Sugar cookies that don’t need chilling? I didn’t think there was such a thing. But I have to admit that I love my sugar cooking and icing recipe. Will check out. And darn, I forgot that I had heart shape cookie cutters! As a busy mom I had no time to batch up. LOL. I just hit up the Girl Scout cookies. ;)

I do like a good girl scout cookie :)

DeAna says

Sounds like a great menu for the week! For your church potluck, I suggest you try Potato Pizza. It’s a real crowd pleaser and great for potlucks.

http:// balancingactbasics . blogspot. com /2010/02/ woks- for-dinner- potato- pizza.html
    (make sure you remove the spaces if you copy & paste this in your URL web browser)

Have a good week!

Oh my goodness, does that ever sound good! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sarah Sarniak says

Those cookies look so good! I really need to get my menu planned for this week! I’m always putting it off. :-P

Don’t put it off, you’ll definitely regret it. Go now!! :)

Tamara says

I love plannning my meals. My week this week is linked for some and I am trying something new.

Jaime says

Please tell me that my linky is not in bold! It’s showing bold on my screen…. argh…. that’s what I get for being a newbie :o) Maybe I did something wrong?

BTW, the sugar cookies look great!

Only you will see your linky in bold, the rest of us won’t see that. No worries :)

Avivah @ Oceans of Joy says

Jaime, your linky is only coming up bold for you; you didn’t do anything wrong so don’t worry! Welcome and now I’m going to jump over to your site and check out your menu. :)

Gina says

That Rosemary Chicken Pizza sounds wonderful! Thanks for the link and for hosting as usual. :)

Molly says

Yum, your menu this week sounds great. Thanks!

Ally says

Excited to read through some of the other links to find some awesome recipes!!

Emily/Miss Mommy says

Loving being a part of MPM! We live in Scotland, so we are 7 hours ahead of you! I even got up at 3:30am (8:30pm last night for you) to see what you had posted, but you hadn’t yet! Bummer. Anyway, this is so fun!

Emily/Miss Mommy

Chrissie says

I saw this for the first time this Christmas. My daughter’s teacher was doing an after school cookie baking with the girls in the class and I was wondering how she was going to bake cookies and wait for them to cool so they could decorate them. When she was pulled the warm cookies out of the oven and each girl had a piece of milk chocolate (like a square of a Hershey’s bar) and the girls just rubbed it over the hot cookie and sprinkled on some sprinkles. They were a HUGE hit!

ACW says

Okay, so now I feel like a big cheater. I usually just get the refrigerated roll of sugar cookie dough and run it through the spritz cookie press. lol

That sounds like a great idea to me! :)

Casey says

I love sugar cookies! I have an special sugar cookie recipe for SOFT sugar cookies. They are DELICIOUS and much easier to make! Although I love eating regular sugar cookies, I’m not fond of making them.

Aiming4Simple says

How delightful to see the link to Home Sanctuary. I love the down-to-earth tips there. Now, to actually implement them, which is really not that difficult. =)

Milehimama says

Ooops #229 – I accidentally entered the wrong link. Can you delete it for me?

No problem, I deleted it for you.

Jill Scott says

Hi Laura, Thanks for the link love. What a nice surprise on a Monday morning. :)

Thanks for coming to my rescue Jill, I really appreciate it!!

Rachel says

Those cookies are TOO cute! :) I hope you had a wonderful Valentines.

Not too much excitement around here unfortunately. I’m down with a bad cold :(

Jafael says

Thank you for hosting Menu Plan Monday! It’s a great inspiration and so helpful!

Mandy says

Wow. Over 300 links and only 38 comments for you. That’s kinda sad. I hate when people don’t comment on the hosting blog.

This is my first time participating in your Linky thingy whatever it’s called. It looks like lots of fun. I copied your Country Fried Steak tip!! This is my husbands all time favorite meal. He’s going to fall in love with me all over again.

I’m off to check out other blogs! Fun!

purple moose says

Oh those cookies look beautiful!! I am all for simple, too. As for the potluck, sheesh. Our church does one almost every month and I need to make a list of good recipes. I usually end up taking cookies or something that I can slop together really quickly.

Amy says

Thanks for another wonderful week of Menu Plan Monday!

In The Bag says

I love making decorated cookies and have spent years going to classes and picking the minds of various experts. What I’ve learned about chilling sugar cookie dough is that it’s all about preventing spreading. The butter is soft when you mix it into the dough, so if you chill the dough, the butter firms up and the cookies won’t spread as much. For cookies with many detailed edges like snowflakes, I chill the dough before cutting and then the cut cookies again before cooking to help them keep their sharp edges. For a shape like a heart with softer round edges, chilling isn’t as critical. You’ll get some spread but that’s okay.

Your cookie were beautiful BTW :-)

Amanda says

I’m sorry but this is my first time and I put the wrong link. could you please delete it #334
    sorry

Em. says

Darn it! Now I want sugar cookies! Grr. I’m thinking I’ll try the dipping in chocolate trick w/my next batch of gluten free (oh, how I miss “regular” cookies!) cookies. It’s chocolate. It can’t hurt, right? Ha.

Thanks for hosting MPM every week. It’s a great resource. I check old ones often when I hit a menu planning road block and need to slink through other people’s menus for inspiration.

Amanda @ Mommy's Idea Book says

The Asian Pork Tenderloin sounds really good and super easy too. I love Asian food so this is one recipe I’ll have to try. Thanks!

Sammy says

Cookies look yummy and Spud Special Soup sounds tasty!

Thanks for hosting each week, it’s made my life a lot less stressful and I’ve found some wonderful recipes!

Rebecca says

Those cookies look beautiful! No Valentine’s cookies in my house; my son’s birthday is that day so I had enough to do with baking 3 cakes for the party! I do want to get a heart-shaped pan for next year, though.

I love the Asian pork tenderloin, thanks for reminding me; we’ll have to have that again soon.

Jack ie Lee @ Everyday Life and Balance says

I’m back on the menu planning bandwagon, with a brand new site. I’m still finding it difficult to STICK with the weekly meal plan, but we’re going to try our best this week!

Kristi says

The cookies look great – what a great idea to dip them in melted chocolate!

Jessica Snell says

Mmm, brushetta chicken – I love that one! And I think you’re the one who introduced me to it. Thank you; it’s so good!

Luisa says

I begun doing Weekly Menu Planning 2 weeks ago. I just read the rules for MPM and will join next week.
    Great recipes ladies!

Monica Lavoie says

This is a short meal plan this week! By the way your cookies look wonderful!

Meal Plan Mom (Brenda) says

Hi! Don’t forget…down south we’re celebrating Mardi Gras this week (I’m making an easy Shrimp Etouffe). It’s a holiday week all around for us as I’m also giving a nod to Chinese New Year too. I love celebrating our holidays with delicious food. Love Menu Plan Monday!

Jana (sidetrack'd) says

The broccoli cheese soup was very good. Thanks for sharing the recipe and for hosting MPM.

MomsManyProjects says

I’m really enjoying your weekly menu plans! It’s begin to inspire me to do this myself again. I always seem to do well for a week or two, then the planning starts tapering off. :-(

Comments