Menu Plan Monday ~ Oct 5th

mpmfall1

Welcome to MPM!  This week we’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving here in Canada.  Well technically next Monday is Thanksgiving but we always celebrate on the Sunday night.  Next week will be all about the leftovers.  Also because we’ll be busy next Sunday night with the festivities, don’t look for MPM to go up until Monday morning :)

Now I have to tell you about the recipe highlight from last week.  Well actually I can’t pick just one because both of these meals were absolutely fantastic!  If you get a chance to try either the Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf or the Caesar Chicken Pasta Salad I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.  Both are easy to prepare although I was a little worried about the meatloaf for a minute there when I realized I would actually have to roll it up but to my surprise I did it without any problems.  Yay me..lol.  The funny thing is I don’t normally even like meatloaf but I gobbled up seconds of this recipe in no time flat.  Yum!

Oh and one other thing I should mention today.  To be wild and crazy, I’m trying out a new linky system below.  Hopefully we won’t experience any problems.  Let me know which one you prefer, the old Mr. Linky or the new MckLinky. Sorry apparently my site didn’t like the new linky.  I’ve switched it back.

Here’s what we’ll be eating this week and as you can see I like to keep things pretty simple leading up to the big event :)

Monday: Fuss-Free Ravioli and Cheese Bake (Family Favorite)

Tuesday: Southwestern Soup served with Buttermilk Wheat Bread in the bread machine

Wednesday: Buttermilk Baked Chicken served with french fries and carrots

Thursday: Strawberry Buttermilk Waffles (can you tell I have buttermilk to use up!)

Friday: Zucchini Carrot and Black Bean Quesadillas

Saturday: Leftover buffet (always a good idea to use up what’s in your fridge before a big meal)

Sunday: Thanksgiving dinner!  I’ll be trying some hopefully great new recipes and will be sharing them as part of my Holiday Meal Planning Made Easy handout for Simplify 101’s Holiday Workshop.

WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK?

Menu Plan Monday guidelines and banner selections are here.

Comments

59 Responses to Menu Plan Monday ~ Oct 5th

Gina says

That meatloaf recipe is very similar to the one my grandma and mom make. I’ve included it in this week’s meal plan because I’m doing a giant ground beef/turkey Cooking Ahead session to fill my freezer. Too much going on at home, including a kid with swine flu, so I’m using some of my stuck-at-home time to cook and bake.

Thanks for hosting, Laura. I love seeing what everyone else is eating, especially with the cooler weather. I need some new soup recipes!

Liz@HoosierHomemade says

Looks like a yummy menu! I’m a MckLinky fan myself. That’s what I use, and have not had any problems.
    Thanks for hosting another great MPM!
    ~Liz

Rita says

That Mr. Linky can be a pain – but still a useful tool overall. The menu sounds good!

MemeGRL says

I liked the MckLinky but it was hard to load at 11 (my time).
    Then again, it’s hard to load with Mr. Linky too! You need to randomize to keep us on our toes :) but that’s not very organized, is it?
    Happy Thanksgiving and have a great week!

Amy @ Finer Things says

I’ve seen more and more MckLinkies around, but I’m still a fan of Mr. Linky. Don’t care to go to another page to link up.

But whatever works! :)

The Happy Housewife says

How fun, my good friend is Canadian so she will be celebrating next week too. Have a great holiday!
    Toni

Tamy ~ 3 Sides of Cr says

YUMMY week for you. I haven’t had buttermilk chicken since grams passed. I’m mr. linky fan myself BTW

I don’t know what happened. I couldn’t even get into my site with the MckLinky. Totally freaked me out so I quickly jumped back over to Mr. Linky so those of you waiting to sign up wouldn’t be wondering what the heck was going on. Strange.

Amy I just realized you had to go over to another page to link up. I don’t like that idea too much myself.

Char says

Looks like a yummy week Laura! I’m suddenly in the mood for soup and comfort food – fall must be in the air.

Have a great week!

Kara says

LOL on all the buttermilk recipes! I love cooking with buttermilk! Your recipes all look delicious, as usual.

Liz@HoosierHomemade says

OK, well, I was #4 and when I checked back to view some others, I’m not there, :( So, I linked up again. I left a comment earlier, so I did link up.
    ~Liz

PlanningQueen says

Happy Thanksgiving. I like the sound of that ravioli!

FishMama@LifeasMOM says

I am a diehard Mr Linky fan myself. Since the new server, I haven’t had a problem. (Knock on wood.)

Just curious, ’cause I’m totally clueless. Does Canadian Thanksgiving feature Turkey dinner like US Thanksgiving or are there different traditional foods?

debi b says

MMMmmmmm…thanksgiving dinner on Sunday! YUM! Can i come over with all of the kids????

Nat says

As usual a great looking menu. Thamksgiving is lost on me in Australia, but I’m drooling thinking about it.

I have the meatloaf from last week on this weeks menu andI think that ravioli may appear on next weeks.

Happy Thanksgiving for Sunday :-)

Tamara says

All looks great. I look forward to browsing the menus of others too

Tess says

I’m liking the look of the cheesy baked ravioli but I’m thinking I’d make it with meat filled ravioli. Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner!

Lisa says

I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

The menu looks great and I will definitely be trying the Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf.

Thanks for hosting! Blessings to you!

WendyGK says

Those quesadillas look yummy. We eat a lot of black bean, corn, and chicken on corn tortillas. Adding more veggies is a great idea.

Dawn says

The Caesar Chicken Pasta Salad looks really good. I’ve also gotten some great recipes from Amy’s Aldi Queen site. I think i’ll peruse it again for next week’s plan. Thanks!

SnoWhite says

Happy Thanksgiving a little early. :)

Hope you have a wonderful week, and enjoy those quesadillas!

Melanie says

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Kristie Stevens says

Oops! Posted as first time, last week was my first time, though. Love the challenge of being organized on Monday!

kat says

Cheese stuffed meatloaf sounds like heaven!

Donna Jackson says

Thanks for hosting this! Its great to get new ideas for our menu rotations and now that I got this Mr. Linky thing working its even better!

Sorry about that Liz, not sure what happened.

Jessica (fishmama) yes we have turkey dinner here in Canada on Thanksgiving. Yum!!

Gudrun says

Happy Thanksgiving!

This week, I am participating in the Eating Down the Fridge Challenge and trying not to buy anything new to cook with. I am also putting up a couple things for later in the winter. Great end-of-summer bounty. :-)

KM says

I’ve been posting my menu but got off track this summer. Still, this is the first time I’ve linked here. I’m excited to be joining MPM.

Kelly says

I’ve never heard of people here in Canada – at least in my neck of the woods – eating the marshmallow sweet potato dish I hear about for US Thanksgiving though. We usually have things like turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, turnip (rutabaga), cranberry sauce – sometimes brussel sprouts, green bean dishes.

Janet says

the southewestern soup sounds delicious.

Kelly says

I’ve also been wondering how some of the folks who link on here have such low food budgets… I always knew food in general is cheaper in the US, but I didn’t realize just how much cheaper. It’s only recently that I’ve heard that US supermarkets double the value of coupons and sometimes have triple coupon days- I’ve never heard of that here. Plus, I just saw a commercial recently for milk on sale for $2/gallon!!! We pay $7.39 for 4L here (1 gallon is something like 3.8L so essentially the same) – and it NEVER goes on sale. Are any of the bloggers with really low food budgets Canadian?

Leslie says

I’ve always heard that milk was crazy-expensive up north. Down here in South Texas, milk goes on discount for about $2.50/gallon. It’s usually $2.79 or so.

As far as double coupons, we only have one store in the area that doubles. Their regular prices are very high and their sale prices are what the other stores have on a day-to-day basis. Still using a double coupon on their sale items is a good thing.

Our family menu this week accomodates the Flat Belly Diet, which I started today. The first 4 days are the hardes, with the most restrictions. After that, it gets easier. Wish me luck!

Leslie
    Aka, Menu Maker Mom

Elizabeth says

The buttermilk baked chicken dish sounds really good! I’ll have to give that one a try soon. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

The Healthy Tales says

Oh that Fuss-Free Ravioli and Cheese Bake looks great. I’ll have to give it a try.

Shalene says

This seems like such a good idea! I did this to some extent already, but I’m really hoping to have it down to a science before my newest baby is born. Thanks for hosting this, and Happy Thanksgiving!! Be blessed! (I linked to the Menu Plan Monday for the first time today.)

CC says

Happy Thanksgiving!

Amanda says

Thanks for the tortellini soup link last week. It was by far my favorite meal of the week!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lindsey says

Strawberry Buttermilk Waffles sound GREAT! I will have to try that :)

Joyful says

Thank you for having this meme.
    It helps keep me on track.
    Joyful

Melissa says

1st time participating in Menu Plan Monday but I love the idea! Off to check out your site more…

Stephanie says

I too like to keep things easy right before a big holiday. You can expect to see take out pizza on my menu the day before Thanksgiving. I hope you all have a good holiday celebration!

seamaiden says

Better late than never! My in-laws were visiting and I just got my menu up. Glad to join you, even if it is at the last minute. :)

-Sea

CaseyDeuce says

Everything sounds delish! I got my prize win today too, thank you so much, I truly needed that pick-me-up!!

Kelly, we don’t have any grocery stores that double coupons in my area either. In fact coupons aren’t very plentiful at all around here. The lowest I’ve been able to get my grocery bill is about $100.00 a week for our family of five.

Rona says

How did your family like the Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup?
    Mine loved it!

Gina says

Thanks for the chance to post. I love your website.

Kelly says

Wow, we’re usually over $100 a week for our family of 3! I know we could do better, though, and am slowly working on it… but I think $100 will probably be about the lowest we can get to. We used to live in Ontario, though, and I know prices are even higher here in Nova Scotia than they were there… everything is a little higher, but especially produce and dairy. And the Farmer’s Market is often even more expensive, although nice :)

I should clarify that $100 a week is a good week. Average is about $150.00 a week I would guess. I live in the North and food is considerably more expensive here that is for sure. When I went to visit my parents in Ontario last year I was in shock at their low food prices, well low compared to ours anyway LOL

Lisa says

Hi! Love your blog and all of your ideas. I have a quesiton about the buttermilk chicken. It doesn’t call for butter milk – do you replace the evap milk and vinegar with buttermilk?
    Thank you!

Amy says

Stuffing–yummmmmmm. Turkey is just an excuse for all the side dishes as far as I’m concerned. It sounds like you had a delicious meal!

Elizabeth says

Laura,

What do ya’ll traditionally eat for Thanksgiving? is it the same as here – turkey and all of the trimmings?

Comments