Menu Plan Monday ~ June 15th

greenmpm

Whew, the end of the school year is almost near for us.  June is killing me, between end of year activities and birthdays I’m definitely feeling the strain.  For someone who loves to organize as much as I do I’ve come to the realization that what I don’t enjoy is organizing events.  Nope, I’d much rather let someone else take the reins and just boss me around :)

Thank goodness in the mist of all this, I don’t have to worry about what I’m cooking each night.  It’s times like these I’m especially grateful for menu planning and how it alleviates a whole area of stress for me.  And even though my menu plan didn’t go according to plan once again last week, it all worked itself out in the end.  For instance, I moved the Crockpot Italian Meatballs to Tuesday night and was so surprised by the amount of sauce it made I was able to use it for a spaghetti dinner the following night.  Only one recipe didn’t get made but I’m just going to carried it forward to this week.   Doesn’t get much easier than that!

Okay rhubarb fans, I have an abundance (that might be the understatement of the year) in my house right now from the rhubarb fairies, otherwise known as the in-laws.  I’ve already made another Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (which was sooo yummy!) but I’m looking for some other ideas.  If you’ve got any recipes you’d like to share please please do so!!   Some of you asked last time what rhubarb is and while I don’t know how to explain it, this is what the edible stalks look like after they’ve been broken off from the big leafy plants they belong to.

rhubarb

So here’s what we’ll be eating this week.  How about you?

Monday: Cold Chicken Satay Noodles (recipe carried forward from last week)

Tuesday: Busy night ~ Bacon-Tomato Bagels Melts

Wednesday: Spinach and Mushroom Manicotti

Thursday: Sausage Pancakes

Friday: Leftover buffet

Saturday: Rotini with Shrimp

Simple Supper Sunday

WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU?

Menu Plan Monday guidelines and banner selections are here.

The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Comments

53 Responses to Menu Plan Monday ~ June 15th

Jill says

Your recipes look fabulous as always. I’ve been very remiss lately in planning menus and I’ve really paid for it. I’m back on the bandwagon – you’re right – it makes such a difference in the stress department!!

Jill

kristen says

I love Taste of Home recipes, too. I’ve also linked to 2 good ones this week.

Liz@HoosierHomemade says

My boys have been out of school 1 full week now. I’m always so super busy at the end of the school yr too.
    Thanks for sharing another great meal plan!
    ~Liz

Angela says

Those sausage pancakes intrigue me! We’re in our 3rd week of kids out of school, and our son broke his toe. One adventure after another! Once again, thanks for hosting.

Dara says

Those satay noodles look great! Have a good week.

MoneyFunk says

I’ve heard of somebody making rhubarb bread. Might google that recipe!

beth says

You could take some of that strawberry rhubarb filling and freeze it in ziplock bags so you’ll have some fresh pies during the winter months! That filling would be great on a coffee cake, too.

Organic & Thrifty says

Hi! I had a delicious Rhubarb Lemonade. You basically cook down 3-4 cups of rhubarb with 1 cup or so of sugar (to taste!). Cook it down to a syrup and then add ice and water. I’m sorry I don’t have a better recipe!

Carrie

purple moose says

I’m baaaaaack! Rhubarb is great with strawberries. I like to make jam with them.

Kerri says

My Grandma used to make Rhubarb Kuchen, it was the best! Freeze and eat later.

susieshomemade says

I love how meal planning helps you get through an overloaded time:-)

Cheryl says

Sausage pancakes? My Biggest would be in heaven!

kat says

We just finished our 3rd batch of rhubarb jam

Annie (SisterWisdom) says

LOVE the sausage pancakes idea/recipe. Except that I will probably use them for breakfast rather than dinner, because breakfast seems to be my demise. Today I sent my husband to work with a three-day-old bagel in hand. What a wife! Heehee. So yes, he would love these. So would my kids. I wonder if they’d be good with turkey sausage? Might try that… Thanks for hosting & sharing, Mrs. ORG JUNKIE. “you’re an inspiration to us all”

Elisabeth says

My mom makes a rhubarb freezer jam that is delicious and easy. It tastes like strawberry jam. If you’re interested I can get the recipe from her.

Gardens are so nice and so are in-laws who like to share! :)

Elisabeth

Janet says

The rotini with shrimp looks incredible.

WendyGK says

That last week of school is tough. Trying to organize the house, start a summer job, and prepare for a foreign exchange student has me hoppin’ this week. Thanks for hosting all the great menu planners. Lots of quick, easy summer menu ideas.

Nikki says

The bacon tomato bagel melts look yummy! I’ll have to tuck this recipe away and use it when the tomatoes in our garden are ripe!

Jen R. says

I love this web site. It is nice to see other menus for inspiration! Thanks!

Jenny says

Rhubarb cobbler, with ice cream. Easy to make, and if you want to skip the cobbler party, the rhubarb itself actually makes a great ice cream topping on its own.

Jennifer says

Yum, I love rhubarb. The cobbler sounds great. I don’t get a ton from my plants, but I rinse the stalks, cut them into 1 inch pieces and freeze. Then take out what I need for any rhubarb + other fruit pie or jam. I’m waiting for my plants to grow big enough that I have too much!

Becky says

My husband’s favorite pie is strawberry/rhubarb. I bought some a week ago. Then I’d bought some rhubarb and got it cut up on Sat. Made a strawberry/rhubard crisp on Sat. as well….not a pie…topping of oatmeal and flour and cinnamon and sugar. Faster than making a pie and something my mom used to do alot.
    I’ve made rhubarb bread and it tastes yummy. I have the recipe for it. I found it on the internet, of course, last year.
    Still am working on organizing and it’s an on going thing for me. Keep stabbing at it and it will eventually look better than it is now. Have a great day.

Becky says

I forgot to mention I got strawberries for the pie on Sat. when I went and picked for an hour with a friend at a friend’s house. Berries were free but now my legs are complaining. Oh well, it was worth the effort and the 4 qt. bags of berries in the freezer. I just need to pick 1/2 hour next time but less berries then. Does it really pay to buy berries so I’m not in pain? MMmmMm Put that in your calculator! :0)

Thirkellgirl says

I use the recipe inside the roll-out piecrusts that Pillsbury sells to make rhubarb pie instead of their “perfect apple pie.” I cut the rhubarb into one-inch pieces, use a dash more cinnamon than the recipe calls for, and it turns out perfect every time! It’s great for breakfast the next day, cold!

MJ Doyle says

Have you tried rhubarb crisp? It’s very yummy and I’m sure there are lots of good recipes for it on the net.

Jamie says

I use rhubarb quite a bit. I just posted a recipe on my blog last week.

Liz says

Everyone’s menus look yummy this week!

Nicole says

Everything sounds wonderful! I have jumped on the Menu Plan Monday train and tonight is my first post. I have also included a recupe for Chicken Marsala. Have a wonderful week!

ADOBOLIFE - Belinda says

I’m a newbie! Your website is exactly what i am looking for! I need to hang out with organized people to keep me focused on my investing/saving goal – -Thanks for sharing! I’ll be here every Monday!

Mama says

RHUBARB CUSTARD BARS!!!

donetta says

I love a good oatmeal topped crumble
    brown sugar/butter/mace

Rapunzel says

Those Spinach & Mushroom Manicotti look awesome! I made a really good pasta dish yesterday with spinach & cheese, it turned out so good and really appealed to the vegetarians in my house.

Jena OrganizingMommy says

I’ve had rhubarb jam–yummy. Rhubarb is like a sour celery stalk. Doesn’t sound very appetizing. You have to add a lot of sugar to whatever you make with it.

Kari says

I make rhubarb sauce (like making apple sauce) the rhubarb breaks up into strings, add a little water, cook, add sugar (be generous). I freeze in bags and we enjoy all year.
    It also chops and freezes well for later, no need to actually cook all of it at once.

Christa says

I like the idea of a leftover buffet. It makes leftovers sound much more interesting.

Danielle (#317) says

My challenge this week was the arrival of my first ever CSA box! I think the biggest barrier toward eating how I want to is finding time to do it. And these greens (collards, and kale, and radishes oh my!) have forced me to learn some new things!

Erin says

My grandma makes rhubard coffee cake. You just use a regular coffee cake recipe (or a boxed mix works) but you just mix some cut up rhubarb into the batter. It’s amazing!

Rebecca says

My mother in law makes rhubarb jam, and rhubarb “porridge” (I guess compote is a better word). I saw an interesting recipe for rack of lamb with rhubarb if you want to get fancy. I went to a potluck this weekend and one dessert was sponge cake with a strawberry rhubarb sauce, that was really yummy and easier than pie.

Also, if you want to make rhubarb pie or rhubarb sauce when rhubarb is out of season, you can cut it into chunks now and freeze it. That’s usually what I do.

Ketherian says

There’s a plethora of rhubarb recipes on the various food blogs this year. I love the stuff, but can never really afford it from the stores. I do much better when I find someone with too much rhubarb and start making stuff from it in return for their extra.

My favorite is rhubarb and cranberry tea bread. It comes out quite tart, but is very good when spread with rhubarb and strawberry jam.

holly says

ok. so this was my first mpm. and my first time to use mister linky so that would be the reason why there might be 2 mister linky links from me and neither one says [i’m new]

anyways, glad i could join in the fun.

Bethany says

The cookies look YUMMY!

Robin says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I know it’s early, but I’m likely to forget if I wait to wish you a great day!

I sure hope someone makes YOU a yummy dinner.

Miechelle says

Jamie Oliver(The Naked Chef) has dedicated a whole chapter to rhubarb in his “Cook your way to the good life”. I’d never seen it or tried it before as I don’t even know where you’d find it in South Africa but since I’ve been in the States, I’ve seen it all over the place. He has a lovely pork and rhubarb stir fry recipe and he seems to love to put it together with ginger for puddingy thingies.

Minutes4Mom says

I love cooking and trying new recipes. However, my family is of a “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it” mind when it comes to food. No strange stuff please! :-)
    The Strawberry Rhubarb pie sounds so yummy!I’ll have to try it soon.

Comments