Menu Plan Monday ~ Dec 15th - %%sitetitle%%

Menu Plan Monday ~ Dec 15th

So you might remember I got myself a new slow cooker last week and then planned two slow cooker meals.  Guess what?  Both of the meals bombed….BIG TIME!  I obviously need to work on the whole time thing because both meals were way overcooked and I am here to tell you that overcooked meat is B.L.E.C.H…blech.  So here is the thing that is confusing me.  Instead of the front saying low and high (now wouldn’t that make sense?!) they make it complicated and use symbols I and II.  So being the fairly intelligent girl that I am (a-hem, no comments from the peanut gallery) I assumed that one line would be low and two would be high because hello two lines is more than one line, right?  I think I’m wrong or my slow cooker is on speed, one of the two.  Sheesh I hope I figure it out soon because I can’t handle a repeat performance of last week.

Thankfully the Smarter Fettuccini Alfredo made up for it!  Oh my word was this ever good and my hubby didn’t stop raving about it.  So easy too thanks to the overcooked leftover chicken we used.  I’m pretty sure it only took my daughter and I about 15 minutes start to table to get er done.

So next week ladies (guys?) in honor of Christmas I want to run another MPM Family Favorites Edition because I know you’ll all be breaking out the good stuff to serve to your family and friends.

You are all invited to share at least one of your family’s favorite holiday recipes or the link to that recipe.  Just wanted to give you the heads up so you can be thinking about which recipe to include.

Okay so here is what we’ll be eating this week and you’ll notice we have another fondue on the menu.  This is a BIG holiday tradition in our house and if you want you can read all about it here.  So fun!!

Monday: Enchiladas

Tuesday: Pork Schnitzel

Wednesday: Baked Teriyaki Chicken

Thursday: Leftover buffet

Friday: Fondue!

Saturday: Potluck Church Supper ~ not sure what I’m bringing yet, any suggestions?

Sunday: Beef Stew (which works perfectly with all the fondue leftovers)

WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK?

Menu Plan Monday guidelines and banner selections are here.

Comments

73 Responses to “Menu Plan Monday ~ Dec 15th”

That pork schnitzel with the dill sauce sounds delish! Enjoy it :)

Erin

Sounds like a fun week. I’ve always wanted to try and make schnitzel.

Tiffany says:

I will have to try that alfredo!

In the southern hemisphere we should be having much lighter meals now sumer is here, but it has been so unseasonably cool that I feel like I should be using my slow cooker again too!

CHEESESLAVE says:

Mmmm pork schnitzel!

I just created an awesome crock-pot soup today. I didn’t take a picture of it, but it was so easy.

I cut up a bunch of potatoes and put them in the crockpot with water covering them. Then I layered it with ground beef (cooked) and then a package of frozen veggies. Add: spaghetti sauce, salt, and set for HIGH for 4-5 hours to cook the potatoes. (If you pre-cooked the potatoes, it might not take as long!) Thanks for the great LINK you gave me, and your encouragement in general. Blessings. Gotta try the alfredo thing.

Fiona says:

Instead of using a Slow Cooker, have you tried using a Pressure Cooker? I far prefer mine over a Slow Cooker. I find it more convenient to use, plus I think the meals are tastier.

You can cook multiple things at one time by stacking them on top of each other eg curry with rice. Put the curry in the bottom of the pressure cooker and balance a bowl of rice on top. Cooks at the same time. Minimum cleanup etc

My opinion is that there are many other advantages of a pressure-cooker over a slow-cooker. See my blog for the full list if you are interested.

Mama Kalila says:

I just realized that my comment here links to my other blog that doesn’t have MPM on it lol. I hope that isn’t too confusing!

If you’ve seen mine lately, I had a greenbean chicken alfredo recipe this last week and it’s up again this week. My husband absolutely loved it. It’ll prob be on the menu quite a bit lol.

Random question though… does anyone else have a hard time sticking to the menu? We stayed out of town an extra day and that really threw us off this last week. (not to mention fil treating us to a meal another day) It was ok because we didn’t buy anything new for those days (plenty of groceries that will keep involved). I think I’m making it my resolution for next year to do better at this lol.

seamaiden says:

I’m sorry the slow cooker recipes didn’t turn out. I have a vegetarian slow cooker cookbook and have had mixed results. One dish (for sweet and sour tofu or similar) sounded and smelled great… it was probably terrific halfway through the recommended baking time. By the time I got it out of the slow cooker- bland blech. It was very disheartening and killed some of my enthusiasm for my slow cooker. :(

Good luck with your future recipes! I’m sure they’ll turn out great. :)

-Sea

Nicole says:

Fondue!! I LOVE fondue!! :)

ncpnkr@aol.com

I’m SOOOOO going to be trying the Pork Schnitzel SOON!

~melody~

Michelle says:

The schnitzel sounds awesome. And I keep thinking about making fondue–I keep seeing it as a popular dinner item. I had no idea it was so big–guess we’re going to have to do it soon!

mub says:

One thing that I’ve found with newer slow cookers is they’re -way- hotter than older ones so a lot of recipes need to be adjusted a bit to compensate for that. I was able to find this link that explains why: http://ezinearticles.com/?Slow-Cookers-Dont-Cook-So-Slowly-Anymore&id=553889

Don’t give up on your slow cooker yet, it’s just learning pains ;)

Krista says:

Looks like a very do-able menu! I need to make enchiladas, I haven’t made them in a long time. And I have never made schnitzel, I might have to try that. It looks like something my family would like.

Steph says:

Love the beef stew follow up to fondue, brilliant!

Kara says:

I apologize for posting twice!! This is my second week here and for some reason my first link didn’t go to my blog-I’ll learn:)
    Last night my lasagne was a BOMB so it was good to read that I’m not the only person with a BLECH on my hands!!!

SavvySuzie says:

I love fondue, but with a toddler in the house it’ll be a while before I can pull it out again!

That pork schnitzel sounds delish!

I love your menu. The fondue sounds like great fun. Unfortunately, the enchilada link no longer works. :(

Thank you so much for hosting this each week.

Next week should be fun.

Many new slow cookers cook very quickly. Usually if you are using a new slow cooker you need to either decrease your cooking time or cook on low. Hope that helps!
    Toni

Christi says:

Your menu sounds great – especially the fondue.

Michelle says:

This is my first time posting my menu plan. It looks a bit elaborate, but it is sooooooo helpful to me. Thank you for all your great ideas!

Ivory says:

First time participating. I would love to do a trackback, but I can’t figure out how to find the trackback url. Totally newbie!

Hi Laura -
    I had a very similar experience –purchased a brand new, snazzy slow cooker — so excited — then everything I made in it was AWEFUL! Even my old standbys. I had to bite the bullet and get rid of it…I don’t remember the brand but I spoke with someone else who had the same one…they had the same problem.
    It isn’t YOU…it is probably the Pot!

Ivory says:

Nevermind, I found it, but I don’t have a way to send it! HA!

SheilaG says:

My kids adore fondue! It’s one of our favourite party foods, too!

I’ve got an awesome chicken slow cooker recipe up on my site today, too!

Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

Elizabeth says:

Looks yummy – I did a similar dish with leftover turkey last week (yes, we still had leftover turkey!). Really looking forward to reading all the great ideas – thanks!

Elizabeth

Betty says:

Thanks, and have a great week.

Cindy says:

When I click on today’s post under Smarter Fetuccini Alfredo it comes up with page not found. Is anyone else having this problem? I would love to get this recipe!

Ginger says:

The baked teriyaki chicken sounds wonderful! I’ll have to try that soon. I’m sorry that your slow-cooker meals bombed. :( That’s a bummer. Have a great week!

Angela says:

I am so sad the recipe and slow cooker didn’t work for you. I feel really bad! Ugh! I hope you figure out the cooking settings, but, yes, over cooked meat is NASTY!!

Hope you have a better food week!

andi says:

We are going to try your fettuccini from last week, and have our favorite fondue this week too.
    thanks for hosting. this is awesome for us.

Sarah says:

Someday I’m going to have to try out fondue in my crockpot. For your potluck you could try Giada de Laurentis’s toasted breadcrumb orecchiete (find the recipe @ food network.com). I substitute regular ol’ bacon for the pancetta to cut down on the cost. It’s always a hit at our church…

Melanie says:

I have a “cooking machine” (slow-cooker) with the same, low and high. I found that the 7 or 8 hours that recipes say to cook is too long. I usually just cook the stuff about 4 to 5 hours and just check it. Try it that way.

Renee says:

I am going to try the Enchiladas

LOL Well at least I am not alone , LOL I cooked a meal that ended up being a flop :(

Ginger says:

Oops! I forgot to remove the “first one” from my name up at the links. sorry! :)

Laura says:

Just found a “gourmet” crockpot recipe book for $3!! I hope I don’t end up with overdone gourmet. ;-)

Ann says:

I’m sure the reason your crockpot stuff was overcooked was because of the new crockpot. I’ve heard this is a common complaint of the new crockpots. The old ones that you can find in a Goodwill will always work much better. I love my crockpot and plan at least one meal a week in it. :)

Tracy says:

I’m sure someone else has told you this and I’m sure you probably already know this too. But for the sake of general conversation and learning by others who are beginning to experiment w/ their crockpots:

1. New crockpots cook ridiculously fast. I find that it is is supposed to be on low for 8 hrs, 2 hrs on high and 4 hrs on low will cook it right.

2. The crock pot must be at least half full. We all thought that big crock pots were the way to go, right? Then we learn that 4 chick. breasts turn downright leathery in that big thing. So, do what I did and buy a smaller one.

Don’t give up!

Lori says:

Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of the slow cooker!!! I have a super simple chicken one I’m doing this week!!!
    Blessings!

MemeGRL says:

Chalk me up as another one with a new crockpot (last Christmas) and I’m still figuring it out…last month’s revelation is that one side is way, way hotter than the other. Very disappointing as I loved my old one. I also have a 6qt now and I think I’d be better off with a 4qt.
    But, I do want to recommend my favorite pork roast ever…even the new crockpot doesn’t mess this one up. So easy, so good. The only downside (if it is one) is that the meat shreds rather than slices because it’s so moist. But if you want to make pulled pork sandwiches later anyway, it’s ideal.
    Seriously. It’ll help you get your crockpot mojo back!

Trish says:

I should be using my slow cooker more. Thanks for the reminder.

Denise says:

Mmmm, the baked teriyaki chicken sounds and looks good. I just bought some wings and legs and might use this recipe. Thanks!

Storm says:

The first few times I used my crock pot it was a disaster! The worst was timing carrots to be ready with everything else – they’d be so hard!

Lisa says:

I had planned a lot of soup stuff this week but just didnt make it to the store so i am “shopping the pantry”
    I will have to start looking for the family fav’s for next week.

Peter Delano says:

Am I the only one that can’t see any list of links?? Help!!

Carey says:

I know I’m late posting my menu plan, but isn’t the Mr. Linky usually up later than this? Did I miss it?

I’ll check back later, because I love getting meal ideas from everyone else’s posts, and here is a link to mine:

Happy Monday!

Kalisha says:

I haven’t had enchiladas in a while…that might make next weeks menu.

Sorry to hear about your slow cooker–it seems that your logic was right…maybe you just have to break it in?

Here is our Menu Plan for this week…I can’t seem to see the Mr. Linky–I think it is my CPU acting weird…

momstheword says:

Maybe somebody already told you but it’s not your fault. The Rival crockpot cooks faster. Lots of people have had trouble with it. I have one too and it always overcooks everything. You can do a google search on the Rival overcooking or cooking faster and you’ll find that you aren’t alone.

Rita says:

I’m being a little lazy this week, so we have some easy things going on that will provide a lot of leftovers!

Angela says:

The fondue tradition sounds absolutely delish – I love fondue and this looks like something that could be a lot of fun! As always, thanks for hosting us…

Laura says:

I can see the links so I hope that you can see them now also.

Laura

Amanda says:

I love this idea!!
    I am new to MPM, I hope I did the link correctly.

Rebecca says:

The pork schnitzel and alfredo recipes sound great! I’ll have to do some modifications, but I am putting them onto my ideas list.

I feel the same way as you about some crockpot dishes. I find a lot of meat gets overcooked. I love my crockpot, but I am starting to learn its limitations. It’s great for cuts of meat like corned beef, or fatty chicken (thighs or legs). Also, if you do a short cycle on high instead of a long cycle on low, you get less overcooked meat (but I usually use it when I am at work so I can’t usually do that.)

Lilbear says:

That schnitzel looks good, but the fondue has my full attention! I know I have a fondue pot…somewhere in my kitchen. Thanks for the recipes!

Amber (CHMW) says:

Love that Kraft Smarter Fettuccine Alfredo! It’s one of my faves. Soo good!

I also like pork schnitzel but have never tried to make it so I’m interested to hear how it turns out. :)

Creative Triplet Mom says:

I just wanted to comment on your crockpot issue. I too have been having trouble finding recipes that are really good to use in the crockpot. Most of the stuff I have made have not been good either. Maybe you can do a crockpot best menu thing here so we all can share ones that actually work and can be used again. It’s very stressful when you make a meal and it is a flop! Hope you find ones that work for you as it would be so much easier if we had a few that worked all the time and was good.

ter says:

My husband and I loved to try new recipes and make some real yummy dishes. Now that he’s gone, I have to learn how to cook for one again, and some of the recipes we made together is too much work for one person. Not everything freezes well, as you know. So I thought I’d ask if you or your readers have some advice for cooking for one? :( Right now I’m mostly eating food that people have brought over (good food but it won’t last forever) and disgusting microwave dinners.

ter says:

oops, it clicked send before I was finished typing. Anyway I think I said it all except I was about to thank you in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Evelyn says:

For pot lucks I always, always bring deviled eggs! I have 2 dishes that hold the eggs. Once the yolk part is mixed together I put it in a big frosing tube with the wide tip to get the yolk in the egg. Then I put little slices of olives on the top of the egg. Always a hit and easy to do the night before too! If you ever see those plates they are definately worth picking up.

Amy says:

Fortunately I didn’t have to cook a big dinner this year, I just had to do two side dishes. I chose two new dishes I hadn’t made before and both turned out well!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Posted on December 14, 2008 by Resource Queen Menu Plan Monday Menu Plan Monday [...]

2. [...] will also be linking this post to the giant Monday menu compendium over at I’m an Organizing Junkie, which links to over 300 bloggers and their menus for the [...]

3. [...] I’m not much of an inspiration this week, be sure and head over to I’m An Organizing Junkie’s Menu Planning Monday for many other blogs with some real inspiration. This entry was posted on Monday, December 15th, [...]

4. [...] are some of your favorite cold-weather foods? What is on your menu for the week? Check out Organizing Junkie for more MPM [...]

5. [...] over to Laura’s for Menu Plan Monday.  She had some trouble with her new crockpot last week, so is looking for some advice on that [...]

6. [...] check out In My Box for more great gluten-free menu ideas. There are a bunch of great menu plans at Org Junkie too. Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)September 7, 2008 – September 13, 2008Vegan [...]

7. [...] To see what other families are eating, check out Menu Plan Monday… [...]

8. [...] See more Menu Plan’s at OrgJunkie! [...]