Planning for your project……

The first step in the organizing PROCESS acronym I created is the PLAN of attack.

First thing up is to pick an area/room:

Look around your home and think about what areas/rooms are causing you stress. What areas immediately make you cringe when you see them. Which area/room has you so overwhelmed you simply close the door and walk away and avoid the space altogether? Do not feel bad about your space, that doesn’t matter now, the important thing is you are ready to make a change. How much better will you feel when you have gotten control over this area instead of it controlling you? This is the perfect opportunity to get.it.done!

Throughout the challenge we’ll break it down into manageable steps and the idea behind not getting overwhelmed is to tackle it one step at a time. You have to be honest and realize that the area/room didn’t get like that in a day and you won’t be able to restore order in just a day either. If you can commit to spending time on your space everyday or each weekend and resolve not to let it overwhelm you then you are well on your way to accomplishing your goal! However do be realistic about how much time you want to dedicate to your project….do not set yourself up for failure….can you manage 15 minutes a day or 1/2 an hour a day, etc? Select your area/room based on the amount of time you can reasonably commit to it.

Next create an organizational plan:

You’ll need to ask yourself a couple of questions. I’ve borrowed these from a great article I found on About.com written by Sarah Aquirre:

1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?
2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?
3. What can I remove from the room?
4. What problems do I see with the room?
5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?
6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?
7. What kind of a budget do I have to create the organized room of my dreams?
8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room?
9. What is my plan of action?

Read the complete article with descriptions of each of the questions here.

Finally ask yourself:

10. Who can I ask to help me with this?

I know you can do this!

Feel free to email me anytime if you have any questions.

Filed under: Organizational Challenge, Organizing

Comments

20 Responses to Planning for your project……

Jennifer says

I’m ready and I sort of have a plan.

Kim says

Hey Laura,
    I have a project in mind, but won’t be starting until we return from vacation in 10 days. I am hoping this challenge is just the kick in the behind I’ve needed to tackle my demon…if I choose the project, I’ll share the demon. I’m sure it will give you nightmares.

…Kim in sunny Florida!

Debi says

I think you’ve finally convinced me. You actually make it sound possible, you know.

Deanne says

Are you going to do a Mr. Linky for the challenge or are we to respond/answer in a comment? Sorry, that part was unclear to me. It sounded like we were just going to be leaving comments. I have an area that I started a couple weeks ago that I need to continue on (my garage) but I think for the challenge, I’m going to do my bedroom. That sounds like a much much better plan. And a month is a totally reasonable time frame for me! :) (There’s a lot of work to be done in there, let me assure you!)

org junkie says

Hi Deanne, yes I’ll be back on Tuesday with a Mr. Linky for everyone to post up their before pictures. Looking forward to it!!

Laura

Jen Holland says

I picked the room today and took my pictures….can’t wait for tomorrow!

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says

Laura – can’t wait! I have one BIG and one small project. Started on the BIG project a little early (since I’m not sure I’ll get in done! LOL) and can’t wait to “steal” ideas from everyone else! *wink*

Connie Case says

Does the garage count? We have moved and have unpacked boxes in the garage, that I can’t seem to unpack.

Also, the laundry room/pantry/storage is also very disorganized.

Janeen Wassink says

Ah, how much I needed to find your website! You’re such an inspiration. I have a friend that actually would love to make a business out of going to people’s homes and helping them organize…I may have to break down and call her to come help me, I admit it. I work too much to start on my scary closet from scratch, but perhaps if there’s a system in place it’ll work!

Thanks, and God bless you!

Nanette says

I’m so excited about doing this. It keeps me focused… Hope I have everything lined up right… I may email you. Nanette

Stacy says

I am sooo glad I found you! My whole house is in need of DIRE help! Lol. I will be starting with my kitchen tomorrow! Will let ya know how it goes!

Kayla says

I know you wrote this years ago, but I just found it and it’s exactly what I needed to get going on the somewhat daunting space I’ve decided to tackle. Thank you!

Comments