Happy family day to those provinces in Canada celebrating the statutory holiday today! My entire family is off today with absolutely no plans. Those are my favorite kind of days!
So last week I had another kitchen disaster because you know I hadn’t had one in at least two weeks…ha! This time it happened AGAIN with my dinner club selection. Seriously, really? I was making caramel popcorn, how hard can that be?? Apparently I can even mess popcorn up, I’m skilled like that! Yep the first batch messed up and was blah, blah, blah. So I switched back to my old faithful recipe (don’t ask me why I didn’t just use that one in the first place!) and had much better luck with batch #2. Here’s the quick and simple recipe I used.
- Approximately 24 cups of popped popcorn
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pop popcorn and place in large roasting pan. I used the one I cook my turkey in.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and baking soda; mix well.
- Pour over popcorn and stir until it's coated evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely and break into smaller pieces.
- Store in airtight container.
Recipe Ebook Resource:
While I was jumping around checking out last week’s MPM links, I found another FREE recipe book to share with you. This one is called Around the Table: Family Friendly Meals in a Flash by Lydia Senn. It looks great and is available for instant download in pdf format. Check it out!
My Weekly Menu Plan:
Tuesday: Beef and Bean Taco Casserole
Thursday: Leftover buffet
Friday: Slow Cooked Pineapple Pork Roast served with rice and broccoli
Sunday: Picking night!
WHAT’S ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK? JOIN US!
Menu Plan Guidelines, banner selections and recipe helpers are here.
More family favorite recipes here.
Don’t forget to join the growing Menu Plan Monday Facebook Page!!
One of my favorite menu planning resources: