My Organized Traveling Pharmacy

My Organized Traveling Pharmacy

So one thing I find really helpful whenever I’m doing any kind of travel, whether it’s via air or road, is to take along a traveling pharmacy.  If you’ve read my blog for awhile you’ll know I like to be prepared for all the things and when it comes to medication, I’ve learned, it’s important to be ready for whatever can go wrong.  In my case something almost always does go wrong, traveling can be so unpredictable.  For instance, I never know when my chronic back condition is going to flare on me so I always travel with my pain meds.  When I’m in pain and my mobility is limited I don’t want to be worrying about finding a local drug store especially when out of country.

I remember a number of years ago I wasn’t as prepared as I should have been and it smartened me up.  I was flying on my own with my three kids back from an Ontario visit and my daughter had her very first migraine while on the plane.  I had nothing on me and she was in so much pain.  I didn’t know what to do and I felt so bad.  Since then I don’t take any chances and have put together what I like to call my traveling pharmacy.

I found a super cute inexpensive Orla Kiely cosmetic organizer (not sponsored) for the meds at Target and I now keep it stocked and ready to go at all times.

Note:  I’ve recently begun using essential oils for some things and will soon be incorporating those into my traveling pharmacy as well.

Here’s what my organizer looks like:

Traveling Pharmacy 6 Traveling Pharmacy

Dramamine is my best friend for travel.  It’s not sold here in Canada but because it works so much better than the Canadian alternatives I always stock up on it when visiting the US.

Traveling Pharmacy 4

My middle son has many allergies so allergy meds are a must as well.

Traveling Pharmacy 3

A few other basics I include.

Traveling Pharmacy 5

I love having everything all in one place, organized and accessible.  It’s small enough that I can throw it into my carry-on bag or purse.  One thing to remember is to check expiry dates regularly.  I hope you find this helpful so you too can be prepared while traveling.

How do you organize your medications for travel?

To see a similar way to organize travel medications for younger kids please visit THIS POST.

Filed under: Containerizing, Organizing Solutions

Comments

26 Responses to My Organized Traveling Pharmacy

Kristin @ The O.C.D. Life says

I have that same exact organizer and never thought of using it as a traveling medicine organizer. Great idea!

It’s such a great organizer!

Suzanne says

I have this same organizer and use it to hold my 8-year old’s diabetes supplies. He’s Type 1 (insulin dependent) and wears an insulin pump. It keeps us perfectly organized each day and I love seeing how others use theirs, too!

That’s such a fantastic way to organize all the supplies that come with diabetes. Way to go!

Hilda @ From Overwhelmed To Organized says

I take meds with us when we travel too after learning the hard way that meds in different countries are not the same (even between US and Canada). Now I take what we’re used to using along, just in case. I take a thermometer too since I had to buy one of those one time to monitor my son’s fever that rose while we were on vacation. I love the organizer you used!

A thermometer is a great idea Hilda and you are right about the meds being different between the US and Canada. Aside from the Dramamine there is also a headache medicine that is so much better but not available here.

Sabrina Mix says

I follow your blog for a long time, I love the tips, but now you’ve really outdone yourself. Super organized!

xoxo

Thank you so much Sabrina, that’s nice of you to say. Thanks for being a reader!

Melanie says

Where did you get the organizer? Love this idea!

It’s from Target.

• Melanie says

Thank you! I saw that in the post as soon as I posted the comment! Just ordered mine!

Ann says

I use a clear container that I received something in (I can’t remember what it is) and I use travel packets instead of big bottles for most things. I’m able to get many small packets of medications that we don’t use often at Minimus.biz. I always have a thermometer, a tweezer, herbal salve in a small container, a teenie tiny Vaseline and a hair tie (helps if one of the girls is vomiting to pull hair back). I also have ibuprofen, Benadryl, Sudafed, Immodium, Tums, my prescription migraine medicine and a prescription yeast infection med. Then I add in bandaids, some Neosporin packs and some Oragel kind of tooth cream for mouth sores and I’m set. Oh! I also just found a travel sized Chloroseptic that I added after having a terrible sore throat!

For motion sickness, a great resource is to get the generic meclazine (it’s the same medicine as Bonine) for $5.99 for 100 chewable tablets at Drugstore.com. It works GREAT and is SO much cheaper than Dramamine and it’s non-drowsy too.

Great list Ann!

Christine P says

Super cute! I love being prepared too. I bring antibiotic cream and pads/bandages. I always buy shoes before vacation and get blisters…one day I’ll learn! Lol..I end up bringing some of what I might need but this is really much more comprehensive. Fabulous idea!

Margaret says

Did you buy the Orla Kiely bag at Target in Canada or the US? *fingers crossed that you bought it in Canada*

Yes here in Alberta, Canada Margaret :)

• Margaret says

Great I hope my store in Nova Scotia has it!

Frances says

Was the organizer in the cosmetic dept. at Target ? Thanks….love being organized especially when travelling !

Yes it was Frances.

Frances says

Thanks…Hope it`s available here in BC

Margaret L says

My mother was a nurse. My sister had asthma as a child. You should have seen the bag Mom used for travel meds! So I grew up kind of doing the same thing. I find neat travel bags all the time in thrift shops at vastly under retail prices.

Becky L says

I usually put meds in different section of my make up organizer. Sometimes
    it’s in a ziploc bag. I like this bag you have though. I don’t travel with chidren any more. I make sure I have bandaids and gas x as well, neosporin, advil good too. Always good to be prepared. Thanks!

Lynette says

I found a similar organizer at TJ Maxx and I’ve filled mine for a business trip I’m taking next week! Thanks for the inspiration!

AnnaMaria says

I ALWAYS have my on-the-go-pharmacy with me when leaving my home. When I go shopping, or to work, or whatever.

I have tried so many solutions… I have two adrenaline-shots with me always, and they are big. Before I had one big organizer for all my meds, but now I’ve switched to one for the shots (since I thankfully almost never have to use them!) and one for the rest of the meds (mostly migraine medicine) and there’s even room for rubbing alcohol!

Helene says

This is brilliant. I was raised by a Boy Scout leader, but even my mother was like a pack-mule for anything you might need. That sounds terrible, but she literally had a blue travel bag of medical supplies the size of a backpack. They rubbed off on me: I usually have any little thing one might need. I even have fold-able spoons and salt in my grab-and-go clutch. Stocking up on basic necessities from a pharmacy is an essential part of travel.
    Helene | premiercustompharmacy.com