How to Stay Organized Every Single Day

The following is a guest post from regular contributor, Kalyn at Creative Savings.

How to Stay Organized Every Single Day at orgjunkie.com

Maybe you already have this organizing thing down to a science.

Your closets are full of neatly stacked clothes, and your pantry sports all sorts of pretty chalkboard labels for baking supplies and snacks. But what about every day organization?  How do you go about your day with an organized schedule or to-do list?

While it’s hard enough to wake up with sufficient energy to tackle the day {at least for me!}, staying organized amidst hundreds of distractions seems almost impossible. Facebook notifications, email, picking up the house, or even a dirty bathroom floor captures my attention and before I know it, hours have passed by without me crossing anything off my carefully constructed list.

But daily structure is what helps us make the best use of our time, despite all those “important” demands. Even if you haven’t succeeded in the past, I encourage you to try again. Creating a flexible plan will not only help you stay on task, it will naturally aid you in the quest to become organized every single day!

How to Stay Organized Every Single Day

Start Prepping the Night Before

Any properly organized day starts with an evening routine. Whenever I prepare myself for tomorrow’s tasks, I feel much more refreshed the next morning, which in turn, helps me feel even more ready to dive into that day’s projects.

• Do a quick pick-up throughout the house — My house is probably never spotless, but for the most part, it is picked up and clean. To keep it that way, I try to pick up a few items each evening before bed, wash any remaining dishes, and spray/clear off the counters.
  • Write out your to-do list for the next day — This habit has done wonders for productivity! Instead of waking up and wondering what I need to get done for the day, I write out my list the night before on a scrap piece of paper. I usually separate out “NEED to do” and “WANT to do”, and then list any appointments or special events happening that day.

ipadtodocs

• Get enough sleep — When 9pm rolls around, I am SO not ready to wind down for the day, and would rather watch a TV show or play on the computer. But a good sleep pattern is seriously the only way you can tackle each day with enough energy and enthusiasm. When I’m consistent, it works!

Maximize Your Daily Activities

Even though it’s hard to predict a perfect day, {as there are almost always situations or problems that pop up and throw us off our schedule!} it’s still important to try. These are some of the ideas I use to stay on task.

• Don’t look at your smartphone first thing — One of my personal rules is to not look at my smartphone until breakfast. This means I’m working out and doing my devotional quiet time first. Now I wake up feeling much more refreshed, because I’m not letting email dictate how I start my day!

smartphonecs

• Create a morning routine — I am not necessarily a morning person, {it takes me forever to wake up and shake off the fuzzies in my head!}, but I have forced myself to establish a morning routine to help me be more productive. Doing the same thing every day not only tells my body what to expect, it also helps me accomplish so much more throughout the day.
  • Tackle your to-do list with frequent “built-in” breaks — Because I get bored and distracted very easily, it’s hard for me to sit down and work on a project for more than 45 minutes to an hour at a time. So I try to break up each task into manageable chunks, and finish one section, take a quick breather, then continue on with the rest of the project. This not only keeps me focused, it also helps me feel more organized and accomplished!

Waking up with a goal of crossing everything off your to-do list isn’t something that will always happen {in fact, it never happens for me!}, but the key is to press on and make the most of the hours we’ve been given.

Strive for progress, not perfection, and let your love for organizing flow into a daily routine that is functional for your family!

How do you keep your day organized?

How to Stay Organized Every Single Day

Kalyn

Kalyn Brooke is a full-time writer and blogger at CreativeSavingsBlog.com, where she gives a fresh perspective on frugal living, and the kick-in-the-pants you need to create a budget from scratch. She lives in beautiful Southwest Florida with her news-photographer husband and the most adorable bunny you’ve ever seen. She loves making to-do lists, reading good books, eating chocolate peanut butter ice cream, and pursuing big dreams….all carefully planned out, of course.

Linking up: Your Homebased Mom

Filed under: Guest Bloggers, Kalyn, Lists, Organizing Basics

Comments

20 Responses to How to Stay Organized Every Single Day

Whitney @ Come Home For Comfort says

Love this! Keeping a to-do list helps me feel more productve – I love to look back over everything I’ve accomplished at the end of a day.

Nicole Walters says

Can you suggest a good calender/organizing app?

elizabeth says

Is that Google Calendar in your pic?

Barbara says

This is excellent! I could relate to every point you made. Thank you for the reminder to make my list at night. That’s an especially good one for me. I thought I was the only one who didn’t “want” to go to sleep at 9 pm but would rather stay up and watch a movie, no matter how tired I ended up the next day.

Sarah says

Hi. :) I’d also like to know what calendar app you use… the one in the picture next to your “Need to do/Want to do” list. :)

I’ve had ups and downs when it comes to being organized and having a good routine for my little family of 4. My husband runs his own business, so I’m pretty much 100% in charge of everything household-related since he is so busy and I stay home with our daughters.

I’ve struggled for years with having an organized home, but I’ve come to realize that our happiest days are the ones when I have spent time getting and keeping our lives a little more organized. I also am grateful to have the opportunity to be able to teach our girls how to stay organized from the very beginning so that they won’t have as much of a struggle as I have had in managing a home.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and the encouragement! :)

Jessi Fearon (@TheBudgetMama) says

I love this! I love how you mention to not look at your phone first thing in the morning. Whenever I do, my whole day goes down the drain quickly but when I’m diligent about just enjoying my cup of coffee in peace and quiet (I mean what mom doesn’t enjoy that, right?!) and reading my Bible, I’m a much happier, less stressed, and way more organized. Great post!

Layla says

A to do list the night before that’s a great idea. I usually do one whilst I’m in work.

Sarah @ An Inviting Home says

Kalyn,

I’m so glad you mentioned not checking your phone until after breakfast. My days go so much better when I do that and I’m able to do my quiet time and grab coffee before the kids get up but other times I’ll check my phone first and then my mind starts whirling on the things that I need to do that day. I’m going to start doing this! Thanks! :-)

~Sarah

Kalyn Brooke | Creative Savings says

I know exactly what you mean about your mind going on all the things you have to do that day! I have to remind myself that the emails will still be there, even if I wait an hour to check them. :)

Karissa says

Great tips! My goal for the new school year is to really stay organized all year, these will help.

Jessica says

These are some great tips! I do a lot of them but I am definitely going to work on not checking my phone first thing in the morning. It really is a bad habit. Thanks for this!

Hannah says

Thanks, the tips are really helpful!

Melanie says

This is great! Do you use any other apps other than Icalendar -such as, for organizing cleaning?

Thanks!

Dana Howell says

Great article! I am currently using the default-provided calendar on my iPad 2; however, I find that when I go back a month or so to look for a old appointment, etc., it’s gone. Does the calendar you use retain information?

Heather R says

I can appreciate most of these tips, however as a mother of a 15y.o., 13y.o. and 5 month who has to work full time outside of the home, a 9pm bedtime for myself is completely unrealistic.

Comments