Makeup Storage ~ I’ve Changed My Mind AGAIN

Hi there, so I wanted to talk today about my need for change.  I’m not one to change my mind on a storage solution just for the sake of it.  Something about a storage solution usually has to drive me a bit nutso before I think about finding another solution that does work for me.  I’ve talked about this many times before and today is just another example where I admit that what I thought was such a great solution really wasn’t.  It just didn’t end up working for me.

Remember this post where I showed off my new favorite makeup storage box and how excited I was about it.  Here’s what it looked like.

My new makeup case
Makeup Case bottom row
Nice right?  Totally except I just didn’t like having to open up the lid each time I wanted something.  Plus the two layers inside meant I had to remove the top tray to reach the stuff underneath and this was a problem because I never had anywhere to put the top tray down since my bathroom counter is so small.  Plus this solution just was too big for my needs.  Now that I’m finished with the experimental stage of trying to find makeup that works for me (yes I’m late to the makeup ballgame) I was able to weed through my stuff.  I have sensitive skin so what didn’t work for me I passed on to my daughter who didn’t thankfully inherit my diva skin.

So taking all these things into consideration, I knew it was time for a change, yet again.  So I walked my house looking for a substitution.  When you are an organizing junkie I go to my storage solution reserves first…I have two shelves of containers just waiting for their turn in the spotlight.  Yes I’m aware that this sounds crazy :)

However this time I found exactly what I needed in my daughter’s room.  Some of you will remember this review I did two years ago on the Stuff It from Clever Container.   As soon as I saw it during my walk about I knew I needed it for my own makeup situation but first I had to convince my daughter of that.  With a little persuasion and a new replacement solution for her to use (see how nice I am!), she agreed to let me have my way take it over.  An organizing junkie can be very persuasive when they want to be especially when it comes to containers that WE REALLY MUST HAVE.

So I did the swap-a-roo and now I so much more happy and less annoyed.  See it’s the little things.

Makeup Storage Stuff It
Makeup Storage
Now the Stuff It lives in my bathroom out on my counter with easy access, no fuss, no muss.  I love the easy access to what I need and of course I love the little pockets all the way around to keep like sorted with like.  As you can see there are also a few pockets in the inside as well.

If you find something isn’t working for you, change it.  Life’s too short to be annoyed by the little things.

This is not a sponsored post but if you are wanting to pick up a Stuff It, you would need to find a Clever Consultant in your area to purchase.  Unfortunately I don’t believe there are consultants in Canada yet.

What do you currently use to organize your cosmetics?  Do you ever change your mind?

Linking up: House of RoseDesign Dining and Diapers

Filed under: Bathroom, Clutter Control, Containerizing

Comments

19 Responses to Makeup Storage ~ I’ve Changed My Mind AGAIN

Mridu says

Laura, I love the idea of having sections and/or pockets too. Just find it easier to find my stuff quickly and also easier when I’m on the run and just need to grab a lipstick or something. I use an acrylic cosmetic organizer that you can get at Target, Amazon or Container Store.

I love those acrylic organizers, I have a few in the one drawer I have. The problem with putting them out on the counter for me is that I use so much hairspray and I find it hard to clean the hairspray off them lol. Isn’t that silly :)

Connie Baum says

I thrive on change so I GET your “predicament”…I recently purchased large boxes: one for HIS junk and one for HER treasures!

It’s working all right for HIM but she’s already ready for a change. This gives me great ideas!

Amanda says

LOVE IT! I love being able to find my makeup items quickly, and love how all of your brushes have their own pocket so you can see them all. I did something similar in the drawer where I keep my makeup. I took an old blood tube container box from work that had a cardboard grid inside where each tube had it’s own section. This way each of my brushes, eyeliners, mascaras, tweezers, and anything else long and slender that can fit has it’s own little spot. It’s so much easier to see things now! Not to mention it didn’t cost a dime!

I love creative organizing solutions that don’t cost anything, way to go!!

Runt says

Is this caddy still available?

I checked their catalogue and it looks like it’s only in pink and black now.

• 4.1.1
        Runt says

Thank you! I was looking at the online store portion and it wasn’t listed there. I sent an email for help on ordering. Thanks again!

• 4.1.1.1
          Erin Thornton says

Hi Runt! I am so glad you like the Stuff It! I am the consultant that had the privilege of introducing this wonderful product to Laura a couple of years ago. We are currently sold out on line, and have some new solutions coming out next month in our new catalog. The Stuff It’s will return in the fall. I may be able to track down a few extra Stuff It’s from local consultants on my team if you are still interested. You can contact me through my website at http://www.clevercontainer.com/erin. Thank you.

• 4.1.1.1.1
            Alys McCalmont says

Hi, Erin just let me know abut this wonderful site. I am with Clever Container and have a lot of Stuff Its. I have 9 pink, 6 black, 4 leopard prints and 2 green dot. I also have matching leopard and green dot Great divides in leopard and green dot that a lot of my customers use for hair products or nail polish and nails supplies. Please contact me at http://www.clevercontainer.com/alys or 513-232-2650. Thanks.

Judi says

Love your new solution. I also do not like suitcases for my make-up and for the same reasons as you stated. I also borrowed a solution from my daughter’s room that she was not using. I had previously bought her a small hanging jewellery holder with clear pockets. I can now see all my make-up at a glance and it hangs in my bathroom on the towel rod. I love that it doesn’t take up space on my small counter top.

I LOVE that idea Judi!

Mary Rhoades says

Where can I get the makeup storage you got when you changed your mind? I’d really like to try one.

Erin Thornton says

Kristina Duke says

As a Professional Organiser I like that you show that organising is a PROCESS – even professionals don’t get it right the first time! Sometimes it takes trial and error to figure out the solution for you.
    I find the key is to declutter the excess first then you know what you are dealing with.

Jewel says

This was a hump I had to get over. I always felt that once I set something up I had to live with it. It wasn’t until the last year or so that I have learned that if I change the system, and it doesn’t work, I can change it again! What a thought! It is actually a pretty liberating concept.

Petra P. says

I storage my make-up in the nightstand drawer with other things like jewellery, nail polishes etc. But my make-up collection is getting bigger (I got some brushes and other things for my birthday) and I don’t know where to store it. It doesn’t fit in my drawer anymore and I have no place in the bathroom cause it’s super small. I was thinking about putting it on the top of my nightstand, but then it has to be both practical and decorative. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Alys McCalmont says

Hi Laure, this is Alys again about the Stuff Its. I can also be reached on Facebook: Alys@clevercontainer . Thanks

Comments