How One Blogger Organizes Her Time

The following is a guest post from regular contributor, Angie at Echoes of Laughter.

Before we get started on this topic, let me be clear in saying first that I am not an expert on this, nor do I profess to have the answers. I am just a work-at-home blogger trying to figure how to work at home while balancing home responsibilities, just like any other work-at-home person. And some days go just tickety-boo, while other days are total disasters and I feel like I have failed miserably at managing both, but there is always tomorrow!

How a Blogger Organizes Her Time

How One Blogger Organizes Her Time:

For most of 2013, I have treated blogging as my full-time job, and as such, I have committed to about 5-7 hours a day of blogging activity Monday to Friday. Plus more time in the evenings and on weekends as needed. While I do love what I do and it is my passion, it helps to have some structure to the days and then time off completely away from my computer.

So here is a little picture of my days as a full-time blogger:

7:00 am. Wake up and throw on some sweat clothes. Brush teeth. Get the kids up and pack lunches. Drive kids to school, leaving at about 7:45 pm.

8:30 am. Arrive home from driving kids to school. The first thing I do is eat  BREAKFAST or the morning will get away from me. I usually have 2 scrambled eggs, an English muffin with jam, half a grape-fruit or a bowl of oatmeal. I don’t clean up the kitchen at this time because that will be a time-eater and I won’t get work done because I can easily foo-foo time in the kitchen for hours. To keep things real, here is a picture I snapped this morning just as I finished breakfast. The kitchen is messy but I will get to it later.

9:00 am. Before I sit down with my laptop, I usually throw in a load of wash. That keeps the laundry from getting behind and it’s a chore that works while I work. I also usually put on a real outfit like jeans, a top, necklace and earrings.

9 am-12pm- This is the time when I answer emails and work on writing or editing photos and posts. Sometimes I make great progress getting through all the emails and sometimes I don’t. I try to work on a post for the next day, but often it gets published on the same day it’s written. I try to work ahead but sometimes it just doesn’t happen.

12 pm. I technically don’t take a lunch break, but I will grab something quick if I am hungry.

12-2:30 pm. This is the time where the magic of blog projects happen. Often this is the time where I will make a recipe, work on a craft or photograph a project for a post because the natural light is nice and bright at this time.

Here are some examples of projects that have been created in the afternoon:

2:30 pm. At this time, I leave the house to go pick up my son from school and I might do a quick errand if needed.

3:30 pm. Arriving back from picking up my son, now I try to get in a quick household chore like cleaning a bathroom or vacuuming, get dinner going and clean up the messy kitchen while I catch up with both of my children about their day.

5:30 pm. Family dinner. Or some people eat and some got to hockey or work. And then I clean up the kitchen completely for the evening.

6:30 pm. I usually have a child that must be picked up from somewhere or something. And I always dump clean laundry on my bed to fold while I watch some TV.

8-10 pm. Often I will go back to finishing a post and editing photos, while also linking to parties held by other bloggers. I do this in the living room while also watching TV with my husband and kids or chatting with them.

10:30 pm or later. I go to sleep with a plan for the important things that must be tackled in the morning.

And that’s it. And as you know, sometimes a sick child or a grocery-shopping trip will throw this all out the window. But that’s part of the roller-coaster of life, isn’t it?

So, if you are a full-time or part-time blogger, how do you plan your day? Do you have  a structure or do you prefer things more loosy-goosy? I am so fascinated to hear how other bloggers organize their time…I just love hearing how about people get it all done, so please share!

See you in 2 weeks!

angie bio pic Angie’s blog, Echoes of Laughter, is all about filling your home with love and laughter. She loves creative projects, organizing & decorating, cooking, baking, and all things domestic. Angie lives in Alberta, Canada, with her husband and two great kids.

Filed under: Angie, Guest Bloggers, Time Management

Comments

15 Responses to How One Blogger Organizes Her Time

hansjurg says

Wow…mustbe the first messy kitchen ever published by a blogger!!

Trine @ Creative Pink Butterfly says

What a great post! my days are so disorganized! I really think I might need to get some real structure soon so this post is really motivating for me! I love that you plan to do your crafts etc when its the best lighting outside – never thought of that…

Quiltin Jenny says

Thanks for this post! I am a part time blogger and part time WAHM. I will be starting a full time job outside the home soon and am really wondering how that is going to affect my blog. I would love to hear about other bloggers’ schedules.

Also, thanks for being so honest about your home not being 100% picture perfect at all times!

Cassie says

Great Post! I am just getting back into blogging and love to hear how others do it. Right now I am just getting into a routine but set aside time each day [about and hour} to focus on my blog. I know as I continue blogging it will change, but it works for me right now.

Krista Davis says

Thank you for this. I was doing great with truly working the blog as a job, then life got in the way. I need to go back to a more scheduled routine. Also, I love your tip about doing pictures during the best light of day (much needed since I live in a dimly lit RV). I also feel I need to invest in a way to optimize lighting at night, since a majority of my recipes are made for supper.

Leah says

I love how you are actually organized in your routine! I am terrible. I have during my kids naps and after bedtime to accomplish everything including the house and full time school and my blog. I just do what I can when I can but something always gets neglected. I am working on streamlining my house so that it is easily picked up at the end of the day, but everything else I get it done when I can!

Rhonda Wylie says

My daughter and I were just talking about this earlier today. Our blog is progressing but we know it could go a little faster if we both didn’t let life stand in the way of making our blog a priority. I also do the laundry thing. I always try to throw in a load of laundry first thing in the mornings. I always hang up clothes as soon as they are dry, but the rest might not get done until I’m watching TV that evening. Also, I find I work much better if I keep the TV off and only answer phone calls you know you have to answer. Thanks for sharing!

Steph says

So happy to see there are other humans out there who have days like mine. ;) This school year we got the family on a pretty good schedule. It’s flexible, but helps me stay on task and not forget the world outside of the web. Thanks for sharing! :D

Carolyn says

Thank you for reminding me that its not just me. Being a WAHM and a blogger I’m constantly struggling with trying to get everything done. Just like you, some days I feel awesome and other days…not so much :-) But I absolutely must get more organized with my time because I just took on a new client who will require extra time.

Tavia Ladd says

I am SUCH a mess (check out my blog and it will make sense), totally disorganized and suck as a stay at home mom (kids totally agree!). I only recently started blogging when I unexpectedly became a widow on May 30th. I am just now, finally beginning to see straight and I am DESPERATELY needing some organization and routine. Ive ALWAYS been disorganized an not had good routines, but now, more than ever, I am finding it necessary … I am going to take some much needed time and do this and make a “tentative” schedule for us!!
    Thank you so much, I really needed to read this post today!! :)

So sorry for your loss Tavia.

Yes definitely a process for sure Sarah….I’m still constantly adjusting even after 7 years :)

My blogging time is limited to nap and bedtimes right now.. I look forward to having more time and structure next fall when my youngest starts preschool! These are great tips!

Amanda Parker says

Hello Angie. Thanks for this tip. I admire how you can keep a schedule as busy as this maybe it’s time for me to create a sort of daily routine as well. It may get off hand at times, but at least I know what tasks i failed to do and start from where I left off. Thank you for these helpful tips.

Comments