Thin hangers can double your closet space – video

Not that long ago I wrote a post about using thin hangers in my entryway closet.  I was so happy with the transformation:

before:

after:

Since then I decided I just had to redo my master bedroom closet with these new hangers.  I purchased a variety of different types of thin hangers in a variety of materials (velour, velvet and felt) from a variety of different stores and I can honestly say that I didn’t really notice a difference amongst any of them.  They all worked well.  I just love how my closet looks and functions now.  Love, love, love!!

Here’s a video peek of my lovely hangers and such a dorky picture of me..blah!

[field name=iframe]

If you can’t see the video you can find it here.

My system for arranging the clothes in my closet is by type rather than color.  All my sweaters together, casual tops together and then dressy ones.  Works for me!!

Have you tried the thin material covered hangers in your closet?

Related post:

My Organized Closet (although it looks a little different now)

Filed under: Closets, Video

Comments

25 Responses to Thin hangers can double your closet space – video

Livin In Duckville says

Love those hangers!!! Of course everyone else in my house thinks I’m nuts. So they still want the plastic ones. Over time, I think I’ll be changing them out… shhhhh…. don’t tell….

Randi says

I have those hangers on my Christmas list this year. Pretty sure my relatives will think I’m crazy…

Jane says

I love those hangers and have redone my closets with them a year ago. I’ve now discovered the plastic thin ones as well…sometimes you want clothes to ‘stay’ on the hanger, and sometimes it’s nice to just crab and go, as the clothes slides off more easily, either way they make the closet look fabu, and yes, sooo much more room.

Trish says

Where can you get the plastic thin ones without the velvet. My husband wants those!!

• 3.1.1
        jane says

Trish, I got them at Walmart.

Jane says

Oh, yes, I arrange by type AND COLOR within the type. The closet “system” at Target (some designer..?) is nice too. With a small closet, I’ve done what I can to organize, (lots of eliminating). Thanks!

raven says

I really, really want to switch over to these but the price stops me (family of 5, 3 girls… eek!). I saw some cheap ones, but then I worried that the flocking would flake off and/or stain my clothes :/

I’ve been using the Walmart ones for a couple of months now and so far no problems.

threeundertwo says

I have to be honest – I got a batch that was more cheaply made and the hooks detached from the hanger portion on several of them. Not sure if I’ll keep buying these. It’s nice to hear others have had better experiences than I have.

Angie says

Darn! I should have watched this video ealier today! I actually spend 2 hours organizing my closet this morning and I could have used this tip! I am off to Walmart tomorrow to get some of these hangers! Great video Laura! Angie xo

Brittany says

I’m slowly changing out my closet now from regular to flocked, so I’ve only been buying a few at a time…LOVE THEM! My favorite are the ones from HSN– I can’t wait to have my whole closet finished! Then I’ll have to buy more clothes to fill up the space, sounds like a good plan to me! Plus I love the fun colors :)

Living the Balanced Life says

Your closet looks awesome and so neatly lined up! I am not going to switch out my hangers for now. I am working on reducing my clothing so space shouldn’t be an issue, plus I am just now finally getting all my wire hangers switched out for the white plastic ones! I am usually slow to change things so I’ll just wait and see! If I need new hangers in the future, I may switch over to these!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Bernice
    Easy ways to simplify and go GREEN in your home

Marcy says

I think the little hook is for a belt. I cant believe how many clothes you have. Wow! Thank you for posting!

LOL…I thought of that when I posted the video. Since my closet is so big I don’t have to switch out for the seasons (I still put my tanks away) so I’ve got my short sleeves mixed in with my long sleeves :) How do you like that for justifying hahaha

Firesparx says

I converted my closet to wooden hangers from BB&B ($20 for 30 hangers!) about 2 weeks before discovering the thin flocked hangers. Whoops! I love that the flocked fabric holds onto slippery clothes, especially since I tend to cut out the pesky hanging loops out of my tops.

jan says

I need an idea of where to hang hooks for school backpacks etc. I really don’t have an entrance way or foyer or mud room- my front door opens right to my stairs- and my back door opens right to the kitchen. There is no wall space :(

Sarah says

I got some new hangers that a friend recommended to me that have a grippy coating which is awesome (takes a little getting used to because you can’t just yank clothes off). But they have really thin ones and ones that are a little thicker for heavier stuff. They are a bit more expensive but the company (MAWA) guarantees their products for 10years. And I think they look cooler than the felt hangers. They sell them on Amazon now.

For Your Wardrobe says

It would be great to be able to fit more in our closet, but we just love wooden hangers too much!

Elaine Enlightening says

Love this idea. I can’t wait to replace my plastic bulky hangers now. I thought I was so smart when I went from wire to plastic. After 23 years of fighting tangled metal hangers, I was done with it. This is an even better move. Thank you.

Jo says

I threw out all the pain-in-the-rear-end wire and plastic hangers years ago and switched to the good wood ones. Of course they are pretty bulky, so switching to the new thin types is on my project list! They look great and functional! But all those nice wood ones…!!!

Kendra says

Never thought of this. Thanks for sharing. I was actually going to make my closest bigger now I don’t have too break walls down.

Comments