13 Toy Storage Solutions - %%sitetitle%%

13 Toy Storage Solutions

Here is a list of 13 toy storage solutions that look to be fabulous, fun and functional!! These are just some of the ideas I found while surfing the internet…they include all price ranges.  Clicking on the picture will take you to where I found them.

Great clear windows, easy cleanup:

Going vertical:

Under the bed storage on wheels:

Love the Ikea options, such as this:

or this:

So sweet:

Take & play:

More handy see-thru bins:

Easy accessibility (available in a variety of colors):

Perfect for all the balls and other sports equipment:

I love multi-purpose:

Buckets are great for dress-up clothes or stuffies:

Very efficient and inexpensive cubbies….my favorite for it’s versatility:

I use one in my son’s room.  You can buy the fabric bins separately in all sorts of colors:

This one from Toys R Us comes with the six storage bins:

Can you tell that I love cubbies and bins, they sure do make my heart go pitter patter :)

Which one is your favorite?

Comments

66 Responses to “13 Toy Storage Solutions”
    Michelle says:

I just love the trofast one from Ikea (the long one) and the bookcase style with plastic containers..thanks for this as We have to organize/purge the toys..not looking forward to it..

Jeanette says:

Love the bookcase style with plastic containers

Happy TT!

Kim says:

Ugh! I think I just found a project for my husband lol. I’m torn between the 4th one and the last one. Great ideas. Thanks for posting.
    Blessings,
    Kim

Robin says:

I am new to your site and love it. I’m wondering if anyone knows of a activity table for kids on wheels…I have some wasted space under a kitchen counter and I also want a small table for my 3 year old and 1 year old to eat/color/create at. I’d appreciate any ideas/input!!

Have a great Thursday,
    Robin

Brittany says:

you could always just drill some holes onto the bottoms of the legs of a table to find, as well as on the chairs and buy the rollers/wheels to put in there on your own. It would be a cheaper option possibly and not a hard DIY project.

Carisa says:

We have those items from Ikea and they are my absolute favorite! Worth every penny, I wish I had them all over the house!!!
    :) Carisa

I already have the ikea one for my son’s lego/train etc.

I love the easy accesibility red and blue ones – the 3-sized one would be perfect for the cloakroom – with one bit for each child’s stuff that accumulates (hats, gloves, skipping ropes etc)

Casey says:

I love cubbies too! my faves are the sling bookshelf and the kidkraft see-through bins. I think I’m going to buy one of those sling bookshelves, thanks for the link!

Tanna says:

I just love the cubbies from Ikea. If they had an Ikea closer I’d be in trouble.

I love it all!! We have the first Ikea option. We have the tall one that olds 6 big bins. We use the bottom 3 for the kid’s shoes and the top three for diapers and other items that we don’t want the kids getting into.

LouAnne says:

The first Ikea item you showed looks amazing. It appeals to me because it’s not only extremely functional, it’s attractive. I like the staircase design.

Oh yes, I have long coveted the Trofast line from Ikea.

But honestly, I love all the options you list!

Peter Plum says:

“Kristine’s” reminds me of a library– and that’s kind of neat for those that are into books. Though the “More handy see through bins” seems more functional.

Thanks for showing all the different concepts. Great TT!

Carol says:

Got something that’ll store a million b’zillion Legos in such a way that Lego Boy can still find the itty tiny little piece he’s looking for without dumping the blasted things all over tarnation?

That would be my favorite.

Good T-13!

Absolutely LOVE the table with the storage and chairs that scoot up so it’s all contained! Love Love Love! Thanks!!!

amy says:

I soo needed to visit here today. We are adopting and getting ready to get our stuff organized! This rocks!

Hubbys having a give away at his blog at http://www.valtool.blogspot.com

Hope you will visit us both!

Monalisa says:

I love the first one. Too bad it’s a bit pricey. :( That book sling/book display is great too, and quite a good price. I’ve seen some that are over $300!

I love the blue and red easy access one. It would look great in my son’s room!

These are all great ideas!

We recently bought a large bookshelf from IKEA — one that is made up of 25 square cubbies — and then bought plastic and wicker cube-things to put in the cubbies. It’s been working out wonderfully and holds tons of toys.

Los Angeles says:

I guess I know what I’m doing this weekend. LOL Happy T13!

I just spray painted a book shelf I found at a garage sale for $3 and made a system like this. Your blog is so great! Always fun to stop by.

I am also stopping by to tell you about a cool story I just posted. Thought you might enjoy. It’s a warm fuzzy piece.

Our friends who just returned from China with #2 have been featured on CNN. If you link here you can watch it:

Blessings,
    R

Katie says:

I just added something similar to the last one in our play room. LOVE IT! I’m going to put labels on the bins tonight.

I’m accumulating quite a bit of dress up stuff…do you have (cheap-ish) ideas or suggestions for storage? The green basket idea you listed wouldn’t work here. I have hats, masks, shoes, jewelry, capes, boas, AND full outfits. HELP!

Jada says:

Oh man! I love them all, and I don’t have any kids! I could use them for my own toys, though! Scrapbooking supplies, Boyds Bears, recipes….If only I were rich, I could have them all! LOL

Tam says:

However it’s stored I’m finding that I’m just like my kids. If it’s not easy to put away I don’t do it! Lots of great ideas! Thanks!

Bernie says:

Interesting 13. Mine is Eat, Drink and be Merry – 13 Last Words, Excerpt: Judaism instructs us to enjoy the simple gifts that God gives in the present world. Eat, drink and be merry. Enjoy this life, on this Earth, in this time. I have collected for your enjoyment the last words of some of our more famous fellow human beings involving food or drink before they died.

The Roost says:

Where were you when I was raising kids! :))

I love them all. I have seen many of them in the homes of my married children. Have a great day. connie from Texas

Laura says:

My favorite would be the last one you posted. Of course, that’s what I actually have in my house right now.

Shelly G. says:

I can’t figure out how to arrange Hopes toys… the only thing I know is they need help… We have very little space… and short of hanging them from the ceiling… I don’t know what to do but get rid of most of them… ARGH…

We love the staggered IKEA one with the clear plastic bins…had the pieces over 9 years now…like that they have “tip over protection” as well.

If you are finding you have many storage troubles, then you are buying your child too much junk! I’ve taken the plunge away from consumerism and wasting money…how about you?

Heather Cady says:

I love the Ikea three level-one. My son has two of those in his room, with the highest side of each placed together. I love these because they help my son put all his toys away easily and quickly.

I’m not sure which is the favorite, but any of them are better than the big plastic bin I’m using. I need something the grandkids can dig in, but not leave a big mess – maybe a visit to Ikea?

NH Mom of 3 says:

We’ve got the IKEA staircase one in both the boys’ room and daughter’s room. The bins don’t really match anything, and we’ve lost or broken 1 or 2 along the way that we need to replace. Wish there was a closer IKEA, we got these in Canada (outside of Montreal) before baby #3…who turns 3 tomorrow! I also wanted to mention that when we moved recently, the boys new room was painted with a Boston Red Sox theme, and we ended up painting the IKEA plain wood items a dark blue to match one of the walls (but set it up against the red and cream ones for the contrast!). So these items can be customized if you so desire. We are struggling with the overflow of kids items though and before I go out and buy more systems to attempt organizing again, my first goal is to pare down and de-clutter.

Clara says:

I love your 13 storage solutions! I actually love you blog. I’m a wanna be organizer.

Come by and see my lighthouses.

Moira says:

Hi Laura,

Love your article, so I thought you may want to hear about our organizing product for keeping Lego tidy, BOX4BLOX.

We may live in New Zealand, but we get the BOX4LBOX made in California and sell it online, via our web site http://www.box4blox.com . Ain’t the Internet great!!! Take a look at our site, there is even a video of it in action.

Amy says:

Great ideas! We did one of those cube organizers (on sale this week in the Target ad) with the soft cubes and I love it. It is really nice looking and functional too. I have been known to hide cubes from time to time and bring things back when the kids need a “new” toy to play with :)

Jessica says:

I have the stair steup one from ikea! All different color tubs in it. I absolutely love it and so does my son!

Cindy says:

I like the one with red and green bins, but also the one that i bought for my kids in TOYS R US the called the Toy basket shelves from Enjoyplastics. Check it out you might find them useful.

RickinSC says:

These are nice, but they all are missing a key feature – the kids will eventually get ALL THE TOYS OUT and spread all over. However, the best toy storage meets the following 5 criteria:

1. Kids only need a few, high quality toys available.
    2. Kids want to be able to see where the toys are when they go looking for one.
    3. When they are done playing with each toy, it should have a specific place or “home” where it belongs.
    4. Kids should never have to face the daunting task of picking up dozens of toys at once.
    5. A toy in the hand or on the floor that the child is done playing with should still have “value” in exchange for a new toy.

The One at a time toy cabinet I built for my grandson meets all 5 of these criteria, especially by requiring him to put a toy back before being able to get another toy.
    Check out this video.

What do you think?

I like the one from Toys R Us comes with the six storage bins. I think my daughter would love it to set up her dolls in for decoration.

LaserPegs says:

Kid Toy Store – Buy Kids Construction Toys, toy games for kids, kid’s construction sets, learning toys and more at great price. Laser Pegs is the first toy construction kits in the world in which each piece feeds the next piece low voltage current.

Sharisse says:

I have the one from Ikea w/the white bins, the stairs style one. We put my daughters toys in it and stored it under the stairs and labeled each bin. One thing I did not like about them is you can not store anything too heavy (books etc..) in them. The weight of the bin will make it fall out of the grooves they slide into. Otherwise I am very happy with them and will continue to use them for lighter items.

Heather says:

I love the IKEA one! I have been eyeing it for awhile now for our family room! Now that he is getting older the toy parts are getting smaller! I also have one similar to the Toys R US one in my son’s room. We use the top 3 like a bookshelf and the bottom 3 with the canvas bins so it works well (for now). He’s only 3 so it works, but I know as he gets older we’ll need more storage in his room! Thanks for showing us what is out there. The Company store has lots of great storage options as well as The Land of Nod!

Rachel says:

We have the IKEA Trofast system, and it is amazing! We really love it and it is so easy for the kids to do themselves.

Verena Hepting says:

Did you know that for those white cube storage organizers, you can also get little white doors with hinges and knobs? We got them in Vancouver at Rona. My hubby installed them last night. Very easy to do. They are a good option with the fabric bins, and look great. Good for older kids, to hide some of their hobby clutter :)

Heidi Kelly says:

Oh my goodness, thank you for this! I have been meaning to look for more storage solutions (really, can there ever be enough?). :-) Thanks for doing the work for me!

camille says:

Hi Laura, do you have any ideas for organizing my son’s 70+ VHS tapes. I have a 8 cube bookcase I need to use to store but they need some kind of container so they stay neat.

Laura says:

Hmmm…I would think if they were on a bookcase they would stay neat, do you need some bookends to keep them upright?

• 46.1.1
        camille says:

you would think they’d stay neat but unfortunately NOT. The dimensions of the cubbies are just SO large that trying to use every inch and not waste space is quite a challenge for me. In a house with 5 people and 3 bedrooms we have 2 closets. I need more space in my little (but wouldn’t change it for the world) house.

The IKEA one is my favorite. Not only it looks like a stair but there are more room on top to put toys.

Stacy says:

i have a tip to offer. at the dollar tree i found 9x9x8 cloth drawers. the same ones sell for like $5 at walmart. i will post pics after i build my custom toy storage unit i will post pics on my blog

Bren says:

We have the Ikea stair step style wooden toy keeper with plastic bins. It is the best! We’re on our third child with it and it looks like new. It holds a lot of toys and all drawers can be reached by little ones. I love Ikea for things like this.

I like them all, but I have to say the one from LL Bean (9 one down) because I work there. :)

Marie-Claire says:

Oh, I LOVE those tubs! I put one at the bottom of my pantry to collect paper goods and it looks so cute holding napkins, paper plates, cups, etc., VERY durable. Target has ‘em for $7.99 but I also saw them at LOWES for $6.99 in my area :)

Andrea says:

Great article! I love the IKEA cube bookcases and the different coloured fabric boxes that you can choose from. They are so funky and practical. I chose this for my 5 year old’s room, it’s such a great use of space. I just discovered some fun toy boxes for my toddler to encourage and “teach” him to tidy up his toys. They are animal character toy boxes, he “feeds” them as he packs away, it’s ultra cute! http://www.animals.co.uk.

Daniel says:

These are all great for keeping toys organized. I’ve used a couple of these with success. They look pretty good too. I also found a pretty cool combination product you can use as a flat play environment and then just zip it up with all the toys inside. Best of all, it reduces that chance that I will step on a loose Lego with my barefoot!

Awesome pic! Thanks for sharing!

Robyn says:

does anyone know where I can get spare clips for a Chain Gang Toy Organizer. Chain can hang from roof or wall to wall with clips to attach toys.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] an Organizing Junkie has 13 toy storage ideas, all of which are not only functional but look great [...]

2. [...] 13 Toy Storage Solutions (orgjunkie.com) [...]

3. [...] construction with vintage metal corners and trim. Color options – Red – Green – Pink – Blue.   Kids Storage Boxes: Kids Snap Cube Storage – Red Snap Storage Box – $ 12.95 Get organized, and make…alt="" /> Kids Storage Boxes: Kids Snap Cube Storage – Red Snap Storage Box – $ 12.95 Get [...]

4. [...] Please click on the individual photos for details and pricing on boys playroom related items. Q: Creative storage solutions and decorating ideas for a boys playroom? I'm looking to turn our gue…torage" width="126" height="126" [...]

5. [...] Shop our collection of kids night lights from The Land of Nod. Discover a vast array of funky and colorful childrens night lights in a variety of brands.KIDS ROOM FURNITURE Kids Beds Watch your kids grow up with their Land of Nod furniture. Save money o…rvice. [...]

6. [...] Kids storage solutions and organizers from The Land of Nod, one of our favorite online retailers. Pl…makepage" href="http://www.shareasale.com/m-pr.cfm?merchantID=13150&userID=206442&productID=457330533" target="_blank"> [...]

Comments