Link~Tastic - Recipe Edition! - %%sitetitle%%

Link~Tastic – Recipe Edition!

linktastic

So my laptop died, a fast and painless death.  I didn’t even have time to say goodbye.  The only thing I was really sad about losing though was my Favorites.  I hadn’t backed those up since last October yet this could very well be a blessing in disguise.  I had a lot of Favorites and now I’m starting with a fresh slate.  So although I’m sad about my recipes there are many more out there for me to find.

The other casualty?  My organizing recipe links for today.  These are the five I could remember I had on my list which is pretty good considering my memory track record :)  Have a great weekend everyone.  Unfortunately I guess I’ll be purchasing a new laptop and I say unfortunately because I’ll be using money I had set aside for the BlogHer Conference in July :(  That’s the way it goes sometimes though but I’m not giving up hope yet because you never know what can happen between now and then.   Is anyone else planning on attending?

Enjoy the links and good luck with your recipe organization.  Just a reminder that the Round-Up Mr. Linky will go up next Friday, February 27th.  I’ll personally be sending to one lucky participant the newest copy of Storage magazine.  I love this magazine, it’s full of awesome tips for staying organized all year round.

storage

Scrapbooking Your Recipes @ Scraps Of Mind

Recipe Binders @ Easy At Home

Ideas for Organizing Recipes @ TipNut

Recipe Organization @ Candy Hearts and Paper Flowers

How to Organize Your Clipped Recipes @ eHow

Comments

17 Responses to “Link~Tastic – Recipe Edition!”
    Shay says:

That stinks about your laptop. At least you have money to buy it w/, even though it wasn’t intended to be used for that.

I love your blog!

Lynn says:

I never thought that I could lose my favorites. I am glad you posted this. Sorry about the laptop. :( That is too bad.

Suzanne says:

Wow, Laura! Thanks for mentioning my recipe binders! Wishes for a fast laptop recovery; I lost mine last summer and I’m still paying the price of not backing up!

Tim Haughton says:

But you *were* using Foxmarks weren’t you. WEREN’T YOU??? Awesome way not only to back up bookmarks, but also keep bookmarks (and passwords) sync’d between multiple machines.

Laura says:

Gosh I’ve never even heard of Foxmarks. Sounds like something I’d better check out! Thanks

Linda says:

I love your site—oh to be completely organized…..I love it, but I have a hard time doing it. Anyway, sorry about your computer. They’re wonderful and horrible at the same time….The Better Home & Garden–STORAGE mag. looks awesome. Can you find it anywhere, I’ve never paid attention to it.

Blessings for a great weekend,
    Linda

Barbara says:

I use del.icio.us and would be lost without it, most browsers have add-in’s that allow you to mark while browsing easily.

Laura says:

Hi Linda, yes you can find that magazine in most places magazines are sold.

I am sorry about your computer but thanks for these links!!

sara says:

sorry about the laptop… i’ve done that all too many times recenly :( I’ve started storing my recipe links on a google site (that way, it still exists even when my computer crashes!)

Shelly says:

Laura there are 2 things you need to look into now that you’re getting a new computer and starting out new favs! First of all you need to get you a delicious account! In other words, go to http://del.icio.us/ and set up a social bookmarking account. You can save ALL of your favorites from ANY computer and you’ll have them whenever you want wherever you are whatever computer you are on! You can easily find and organize (your kind of word there) any favorite in any area you want by your tags that you put with each.
    The second thing you need to look into is a Passport. It is a small (4 x 6) piece of equipment that you can back up ALL of your files on your computer, take it with you to whereever and use another computer and you’ll have access (but no one else will) to all the files that you had on your computer at work or home. For that matter, you can put all your work AND home files on it and have everything at your fingertips. I got mine with 500 gig memory for $139 at Best Buy. I love it!
    Shelly

creative triplet mom says:

That is so strange! My laptop died a slow and steady death too. Last night it died completely. Unfortunately, we do not have enough money to purchase new one. My husband ordered a new harddrive for it and I’ll be getting a new battery finally. The battery has been dead for like a year or so now and I had to plug in for it to work. Luckily my children have computers so I’m still able to use the internet but not my photoshop elements. Good luck on your new computer.

susan says:

I am addicted to your blog. I love it. Thanks and keep up the good work.

I just found your site, and love to follow the challenges. I am still working on my file cabinet. I had stuff from 20 years ago, and it is taking me weeks to sort through everything. So I am not quite up to the recipe challenge yet! But I have recipe clippings in my file cabinet, so they are related.

Anyway, I have been poring over websites trying to find inspiration for organizing recipes, and then noticed your challenge this month and thought how appropriate.

I currently have 3 3″ binders that I have been using for my recipes for the past 7 years. They are bare bones- no fancy covers. Plain white binders. I have dividers for categories, and the binders are labelled with the categories, so I can grab and find very quickly.

My biggest problem is that they are so stuffed, that I can not add any new recipes to them, and then the new clippings wind up in a manila folder in my file cabinet for a year. It is a yearly project to put them in the binders. It is about that time, and I can’t help but think there has to be a better way.

I could put together more binders and stuff them less, then it would easier to add throughout the year.

And the size is too big. 3″ is too unmanageable. Perhaps I should try 2″.

I guess my biggest concern is needing 4 binders for recipes. Is that excessive?

I know what everyone is going to say…weed through them. No, I have not tried them all. I like to flip through and get inspiration though, and that is why I keep them, rather for the 2 tsp of this, 5 tsp of that. I like perusing pictures, and I do make them eventually.

I also would love to use the page protectors, but the binders would be way too big then! I would need 9 binders then!

The weird thing is that most of the time I usually just go to allrecipes.com or google a recipe and take my laptop into the kitchen.

Ok, now I know what the rest of you will tell me – scan my recipes. I think this is a brillant idea, and I just may try this someday. But it would take me a month to scan 3 3″ binders of recipes. That is someday exercise, this is right now need.

Does anyone else think 6 2″ binders is excessive? Or am I in the same boat as everyone else? I love to cook, and cook more than 98% of the people I know. We rarely go out to eat. I love to experiment, and try new things, and my dear husband is down for most things. I love reading recipes. So I guess my binders are like keeping a shelf of cookbooks, customized for just me. Maybe if I make them pretty like you have done, they would seem like this more.

So my bottom line question is this: How many binders, and how big is everyone using?

Barbara says:

Laura,
    Thank you for linking to my Recipe Organization post! When I commented earlier I didn’t even realize one of the links was mine. I was a bit absent-minded last week.

Susan Anderson says:

Wish Storage Magazine had a better website.. I saw the previous cover and didn’t get a chance to buy it before it went off the shelves. I checked my local library.. with no luck. Anyone know how to find it?

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] here: Link~Tastic – Recipe Edition! Category : [...]