Okay by now you should all know about my sick love of the dollar store basket.  I mean really what’s not to love!  Imagine my surprise when I came across this post over at Fox Downs.  Avlor has taken the dollar store basket to the next level and made, are you ready for this, a fabric basket insert!  A fabric insert to keep the small items from falling to the bottom, something that had been bothering Avlor so she decided to do something about it.  Oh yes she did.  Oh my word, talk about clever and resourceful!  I love clever people, especially ones that show kindness to the dollar store basket.  It’s a beautiful thing.  See for yourself.

It’s fun, it’s functional, it solved a problem and it didn’t cost a lot of money.  It does take a little bit of craftiness though which means my basket liner dreams may never come true but as long as I have that beautiful picture to comfort me I think I’ll be A okay.

More information and instructions are here.  Enjoy your Storage Star Avlor, you deserve it!

To see another example of basket beautifying at it’s finest you must also hop on over to Make and Takes to see what a little ribbon can do.  Now that is what I call fannnnncy!

Updated:  Reader Jessica just sent me this FABULOUS link to another great basket liner idea.  WOW, love the fabric!!

Filed under: Containerizing, Storage Star
The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Comments

23 Responses to Storage Star – Taking dollar store baskets to the next level with basket liners!

Tiffany says

Love both ideas. Now I will have to go to the dollar store and see if they have them at the one near us.

Nicole says

I lovethis! I have a larger version of the same basket in my bathroom between the two sinks to hold all my “stuff.” A liner would be awesome! I may tray it “whenever” I have some time (as if I have any spare time lately – ha!)

Debi says

Pure brilliance! And it’s so cute to boot!

Avlor says

Laura, thank you for highlighting my fabric pocket insert. I’ve been a long time fan of your blog and have been inspired by so many of your posts. This year’s household organizing has been the longest running because of your organizing round up. ;)

@Tiffany
    I got my baskets at Walmart. Hope that helps.

Dave Fowler says

I’ve got a desperate need to get organised. I think I could probably apply this idea to some of my kitchen and bathroom storage needs. All I need now are the skills to make the insert. :)

Avlor, it’s nice to see your work featured on another site!

Dave

Gina says

I love the ingenuity! Wish I could think like that. :)

My Precious Pennies says

OooO! I would LOVE to do something like that. But I have to admit that I’m in the same boat as you – as long as it requires cutting skills above cutting coupons, I’m out. And I even have trouble cutting coupons on the lines. Don’t even get me started on sewing.

Someone should make/enhance these and sell ‘em on etsy or something =P.

Danielle says

I have some of those left from my classroom….I am going to have to dig them up!

Christy says

Ok..that’s great. It sure beats the pants off of my “recycled cereal box liner” that I have in the bottom of mine!

@My Precious Pennies – this is an awesome Etsy idea!!

Annie says

Wow that is awesome….oh now I just need the time!!

Kathy says

Wow! Those are so cute and practical! I will have to look for them at my local Dollar store. I shop there a few times each week (great prices), but haven’t looked for these baskets. Will look tomorrow for sure.

Thanks.

Pamela says

Oooh, wow! I LOVE the liner idea, what a great thing for the nursery! And my kitchen! I think I need to take a trip to the dollar store and Fabricland!

Marcia "HDMac" McFar says

I think I am over anxious! lol… I keep coming back to link up for the craft room but no linky yet! :)

Barbara says

Ohhh I love that. I will be making some of those, such a wonderul idea.
    Barbara

Jerri says

Lovely idea. But I, too, would have to work on my sewing and cutting skills before attempting.

orneryswife says

You always come across the cutest ideas!
    I had planned (and even bought the ribbon for) to do the little ribbon weaving on my baskets in my craft room, just haven’t gotten to it yet. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to make them all different colors, or if I wanted to make them all coordinate. Then I was going to make tags to hang on the ribbons so I could get rid of those plastic labels on the fronts. Some day I’ll do it–and forward you a photo! :) Gotta feed that addiction!
    tm

Ainada says

How exciting to see that someone else loves these baskets too! I didn’t know the dollar store carried them, I do know that I purchase a couple of these almost every time I go to Wal-Mart. They carry the exact ones there for $1. Also, they stack nicely!! I use them in my medicine cubbard, in my pantry, for my scrapbooking closet – I love them!

Betty says

That lady should make them and sell them here or on her own website. They are very clever! I’d sure buy some from her.

Comments