Slow Cooking Thursday ~ Easy Meatloaf

sct.jpg

It’s been awhile since I participated in Slow Cooking Thursday but I haven’t been using my crockpot as much these days. Not sure why. I was going through my cookbooks tonight and found this recipe below that I’ve made in the past and we all enjoyed. I like to make notations at the top of all the recipes I try and this one has “Great!” marked on the top. The best part of this recipe is that it’s a one pot meal. You’ve got your meat, potatoes and carrots all cooking up at once. Nothing to do at dinner except dish up. I love that! I hope you enjoy it too!

Easy Meatloaf

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
2 slices day-old bread, cubed
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/4 cup ketchup
8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks (I just use baby carrots)
8 small red potatoes

In a bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir in the bread cubes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Shape into a round loaf.

Place in a 5-qt slow cooker. Spread ketchup on top of loaf. Arrange carrots around loaf. Peel a strip around the center of each potato; place potatoes over carrots.

Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 7-8 hours longer or until no pink remains in the meat and the vegetables are tender.

Yield: 4 servings

Source: Taste of Home’s Slow Cooker Classics

Don’t forget to visit Sandra’s place for many more slow cooker recipes!

Filed under: Recipes-Slow Cooker
The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Comments

27 Responses to Slow Cooking Thursday ~ Easy Meatloaf

Katrina (Callapidder says

Ooo, this sounds great, Laura! I’ll be trying it out next week. Meatloaf, potatoes, and carrots are all favorites of my guys.

Sheila Gregoire says

Sounds yummy!

My problem with slow cookers is that the chicken never tastes right. It always seems overcooked, even if I don’t leave it in for as long as it says. All the other meats turn out well, but chicken is a write off.

Oh, well…

Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

Queen B says

Sounds great!! Thanks!!

Chandra says

I never use my slow cooker because I just don’t know what to do with it. I will definitely have to try that! It sounds like even I can’t mess that up!

Sandra says

Oh Laura, this sounds great, I love meatloaf :) Can’t wait to try this one.

mjpuzzlemom says

Love my crockpot and have MANY recipes on my blog! It is food to have you participating in SCT!

MJ

Cindy says

I have a question about the recipe. Why do you peel a strip around each potatoe? This sounds great!

Cindy I’m really not sure but my educated guess (ha!) is to keep the potato from exploding.

crockpot lady says

yay! meatloaf! I’ve been collecting recipes. It’s not my favorite, but Adam loves it and I think the kids might if it has ketchup.
    xoxo
    steph

Sister Brenda says

Thank you Laura! Never used crock pot to do meatloaf in..Can’t wait to try it..I’m going to bake beans in mine today..
    Blessings Sister Brenda

halfmoon girl says

This sounds yummy. I will definitely be trying it.

Renee' says

Great recipes. I’ll be trying this soon. Thanks for sharing.

Renee’

Man I feel like you are there holding my hand leading me day by day. Lately I’ve been struggling with this crock pot thing. I have tried numerous recipes and have only one (1) main meal recipe (whole chicken) and (1) appetizer (buffalo chicken dip) that I can say is fantastic and will be made again recipes. Every other one that I have made the meal is okay but not good enough to have again and again and again. I will be making your recipe the next time I get ground beef on sale. Been trying to cut my food shopping down as well and menu planning certainly has helped. Sorry for the long message just wanted to say you are a blessing in my life and I look forward to your posts every day. Thank you.

Sara says

This is a totally random, having nothing to do with this post comment because I couldn’t find a place to contact you to send you an email!

I have a question for you – do you have any brilliant ideas for an extra flatware organizer? I bought one last night in my excitement over organizing my kitchen finally and it didn’t work the way I wanted it to. My husband had already peeled everything away and cleaned it, so I need to find SOME use for it! What other things can I organize with it, do you have any good suggestions?

Thank you! (I love your site!)

A Chelsea Morning says

I’m ashamed of myself. I haven’t been using my crockpot as much lately either and really, I have no idea why because it’s the easiest way ever to make a great meal.

My family thinks my meatloaf is manna, but you know, I’m going to add some chopped bell peppers next time because it just sounds so good.

You’ll be proud of me. I posted an organizational thing today – all about how to organize bathroom linens in a bathroom that doesn’t have a linen closet! Hooray! I’m back on my organizing game! :-)

Eleisia says

This meatloaf recipe looks simple yet delicious! My husband would like it and any extras for meatloaf sandwiches.

Charity says

omg! My hubby (wonderful cook) made deerburger meatloaf last night. I was not use to it, and cannot say honestly that I’d have it again, but it was something different.

Michelle says

Hi Laura.. oh this sounds so tasty!!! We all *heart* meatloaf here.. especially with Ketchup.. :) have a great day. oh and Barb’s post very impressive…

sandy says

This sounds like a keeper, Laura. Yum! Thanks for sharing with us.

Tina R. says

I have this in my crockpot right now:)
    Actually two crockpots, one for my sister and her girls and one for home. I’ll let you know what everyone thinks.

Monica says

YUMM! I am definately going to try this one!

Sarah says

I didn’t realize that you could make a meatloaf in a crock pot! Thanks for the tip! It’s very similar to the recipe I use, now I can adapt it for my beloved crock pot. The recipe doesn’t mention adding water, though, where most crock pot recipes for meat require a bit of water to cover the bottom of the crock pot. Maybe the meat fat takes care of it?

I made this last night and I must say it was really good. My son had 2 servings of the meat and one of my daughters loved the carrots as they were so soft. My husband only ate the meatloaf and he added cheese to the top of it after it was cooked. I will make this again as it was very easy to make. Thank you for sharing it.

Karen says

We’re have this one for a _second_ time tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.

The first time we had it, I made the loaf on the Saturday and froze it. I put it in the fridge overnight on Tuesday and started it in the morning on Wednesday. It turned out great.

Comments