Works for Me Wednesday ~ Never lose your keys again!

I never lose my keys and all it cost me for that peace of mind was $1.00 from the Dollar Store! In fact this works so well for me I’ve been using the same system for years! My secret is carabiner clips. I keep one on each of my key rings making it easy to attach my keys, when not in use, to my purse or wallet.

Attached to my purse/diaper bag (the strap has a handy ring on it that makes it easy to clip to):

100_9212.jpg

and when I’m not with my little guy and I just have my wallet with me I just simply attach it to the wallet string.

100_9214.jpg

This way before I even get out of the van I clip my keys on. I never have to wonder what I did with them. They are always there. So easy!

Sometimes when I venture out without my purse or bag I can just be wild and crazy and clip my keys to my belt loop. It’s ever so attractive but hey at least I know where my keys are :)

I also keep my vehicle and house keys separate because if I ever forget anything in the house I don’t have to turn my van off in order to run back in and get it. I hated that.

It’s all about making life easier one small thing at a time.

wfmwheader.jpg

Visit Shannon’s place for more tips and tricks!

Filed under: Organizing Solutions

Comments

44 Responses to Works for Me Wednesday ~ Never lose your keys again!

Forgetfulone says

I never thought of doing this! Should have. My kids do this. Why don’t I? Thanks!

~Amy says

I use the exact same thing! But I got my D-ring from a lock smith shop.

~Amy

[email protected] Heart at Home says

U have a ton of thoise clips. I use them in the barn. Great idea! I lose my keys a lot.

Thanks.
    Robin

My WFMW is on decluttering (with a new WFMW pink image)

Amanda says

I use these too! I’m so scared that I’m going to lose my keys that I actually clip them on to my belt loop most of the time.

Heather says

I use a bright purple lanyard for my keys. Easy to spot its long tail in my diaper bag, easy to pop around my neck while dealing with carseats, strollers etc. and easy to spot at home when I’ve put it down.

Marcia Francois says

I use this for my house keys too. Going home, our keyholder thing is just inside the door and I must say i never forget. But coming out, I do that if I’m not using a handbag with a separate key pouch (first prize) :)

Nikki says

One warning. My dh lost a huge set of keys. Dont know how he lost them. There were so many on them but somehow he didnt hear them fall. Apparently the latch broke and hes keys have gone to key world. lol We lost house keys, car keys, work keys and many more. It was terrible. Just be careful and check the latch.

Nikki

jen says

Very cute…and clever. I should try this one. I really like your pursue too.

Scratchin' the Surfa says

I do this too! And when DH wants to use my keys I can just pop them off, keeping all the girly stuff attached to mine, so he has just that one car key. I’m with you, soon as I get out of the car and start to hit “Lock” I can look down and see that the keys are on the OUTSIDE of the car, rather than in the ignition laughing at me!

Debi says

Oh my gosh…I have got to show this to my husband! He loves those things…he uses them for everything, from clipping his backpack closed because it has a tendency to open on its own when it gets too full to bracing our movie cabinet to the wall so it doesn’t fall over on one of the kids. And yes, he’s been known to sport his keys from a beltloop using one, too.

Becky says

I am going to go take my house key off my car key ring now! That is such a great idea.

Allison says

I’ve used one for years…it is also great for hanging them on the key ring hooks we have…fits better than actual key rings!

One question: Where did you get such an awesome diaper bag with a detachable purse/wallet! I so need that! I hate transferring stuff from diaper bag to purse when it’s just me running errands, but I also don’t want to carry around BOTH a diaper bag and a purse at the same time!

Amy says

I’ve actually been looking for one of those clips– great idea!

Jennifer says

I use one of these pull apart key rings on my keys.

The house and mailbox keys are on one ring, the car keys on the other, so I don’t have to turn the car off to open the house or the mailbox – the set of keys just pops right off. I also use another one of these for those little key tags. One half is connected to a zippered pocket inside my purse, and the ring of key tags comes off whenever I need it, but isn’t taking up a lot of room on my keys.

Sara says

I started doing this several months back and haven’t lost my keys since. I think I need clips for everything in my house! I’m always losing things. LOL!

Broniev says

you smartie you! i so need to do this. there is (almost) nothing i hate worse than to be trying to get out the door with four kids, than to have to stop and do a key hunt. ugh. unless it’s just trying to get out the door with four kids. :)

Sandra says

What a great idea Laura :)

Chandra says

Thanks for the great idea. I’ll have to try that!

Allison, my diaper bag is actually just a big purse that I use. The wallet is separate and it’s from Avon believe it or not. The wallets on a string are my favorite!

Queen B says

I was just writing a post about losing my keys!

You’ve solved my problem! Thanks!!

Jenny says

I have the same ring thing. You can also get the little adaptor that attaches to your key ring that will let you take off the keys from the set,so if the van is running and you need to run in the house you just unclip the housekey from the main key ring.

Mrs. Wilson says

I SO need to do that. Really bad. I lose my keys daily.

Veggiemomof2 says

So far, I like just leaving them in my coat pocket, but I’m not sure what I’ll do when warmer weather eventually comes!

sandy says

That is smart, girl! I’ve never lost my keys, but I hesitate to even write that. LOL.

Bonnie says

I do this toooooooooooo !! Seriously, were we separated at birth ???

Judi says

I love that idea! I also have a key fob that is a sort of hook shape that hooks on the outside edge of my purse, but the keys rest inside. I hang it on the closing side of the zipper and it is very secure. I can just glance quickly at my purse to see that I have my keys with me before locking doors and find them instantly when I need them!

I have something similar to this. Mine is more like a slinky bracelet. I put it on my wrist like a bracelet or I clip it to my wallet like you do.

dawn says

ummm i gave up keeping track of my keys, i just simply bought a gizmo that beeps, when i press a button on another gizmo, and vola! i can hear my keys beeping at me from under the couch cushions in the other room where the baby hid them. – hehehe :)

ageekymom says

I bought one of these seatbelt bucklekeyrings to put on my seatbelt bag It holds on tight to the side of my bag and looks great!

Dawn says

Ha! I have the same wallet! :)

The Lazy Organizer says

Did I just post my e-mail address on your blog? Can you delete that for me?

I do the same thing with a much less sophisticated instrument, a baby toy link. Have we had this conversation before?

Amber says

My husband actually picked up one for me that’s shaped like an A. We never have to wonder which keys are mine.

[email protected] says

Where have I been? It’s like I dropped off the face of the earth for a week… This is a great idea, however I do have to say that having a purse that is like a large duffel bag, I don’t seem to have a hard time just tossing them in… I did go for a silver coated letter “m” key chain which not only makes it easier to find them in my purse, but I like being able to tuck that in my pocket when I am on the go.

Roxanne says

I like this idea! So simple and cute too.

Susan says

Yes! I use a pink clip just like that! I love it! Thanks for sharing this great, inexpensive, and extremely useful tip.

~Susan (A Happy Heart at Home)

Cathy says

I have a red clip JUST like yours! I have attached my YMCA card to it — I’ve gone to workout and found I didn’t have my membership card. This clip has ended me having to trek back home. :)

Heidi @ Carolina Dre says

My keys have the clip and are missing, right now. Now what? :)

I only lost 1/2 of my keys? I still have the “beep beep” part. My save for keys, was to make a copy and put it on my teen’s key rings. This was originally so they didn’t have to lose my keys to borrow them to get into the vehicle. Now I’m driving with them. *rolling eyes*

I know they are right here…. *smile*

Elaine says

I also have my keys on carabiners and they work just great. The bad thing is that one of mine has several keys on it and it gets heavy, so heavy that it broke my purse that I’d only had about 6 months. Now I have to either keep the keys in my coat pocket or attach them to my belt loops (then stuff the keys into the pants pockets so they don’t jingle or pull too much on the loops).

Comments