Product Highlight ~ The Socket Pocket

Way back when, I did a post on organizing your kitchen desk and one of the concerns was the unsightly cell phone charger cords hanging down over the desk. On my very first Product Highlight post I featured the Power Station Recharging Centre. This product would have helped with the cord problem somewhat but because the plugin was up in the middle of the wall you still would have seen the cord hanging down.

This clever little product is perfect not only for keeping cords tidy but safe and secure as well! I give you the:

No more dangling cords….yeah!!! I love that so much, you have no idea. I found it on Organize.com for $14.79 for a pack of two. Here is what the website has to say:

The Socket Pocket is easy to use. Simply replace any standard dual socket wallplate with the unit. The bottom of the unit features an access hole for the recharging cord to fit through. Once installed, the Socket Pocket will keep your electronics neatly contained. Each pack contains 2 Socket Pockets.

So, what do you think? Do you think it would work for you?

Note: Products featured under Product Highlights have not actually been tried out, they are just things that make me say “well now that’s a great idea!”.

Filed under: Product Highlight

Comments

23 Responses to Product Highlight ~ The Socket Pocket

Ginny says

It looks nice. Question though, do you have to keep your charger plugged in to use it? Keeping a charger plugged in while not charging wastes electricity, plus costs you extra money in your electric bill.

Org Junkie says

Good point Ginny. I think if you wanted to use it to hold your cell phone all the time, even when not charging, you could just keep the charger in the drawer (which might defeat the purpose). Not sure.
    Laura

Lisa says

That looks great, though we have an “old-fashion” flip phone that is a little thicker than the razor models. I know our outlets aren’t that far from the counter and the plug could easily dangle. It would at least provide a spot for the phone each night. My husband is always asking if I’ve seen his phone….

Karen says

I leave my chargers in the kitchen drawer unless they are charging overnight (about once a week). So this wouldn’t really be that great for me.

ChupieandJ'smama says

Right now my husbands phone is at work with him, but the a charger is still plugged in, in my laundry room and the cord is dangerously sitting on the counter. When he returns home, the phone (the TRIO, so must be plugged in so we can here the e-mail chimes) will be plugged in again and take up room on the counter. This would so work for us. Happy Anniversary Honey. Here’s your Socket Pocket.

Jennifer, Snapshot says

Ooh, Ginny made a good point, so I’m going to unplug my charger right now.
    I think that the little pocket is a great idea.

melissa2372 says

This is great! I’ll have to see what Hubby the electrician thinks about installing a couple at our house.

Thanks!

Pieces From Me says

Anything that keeps something looking neat and organized is a plus. I like the fact that you get 2.

queenbusick says

I am amazed at the price! Geez – doesn’t that look like a 99 cent piece of plastic? Just being the budget conscience voice!

Speaking of budget, I thought Ginny made a great point about the unused chargers using electricity…is that really true? If so, then a lot of us could save $$ on unplugging a few items!

Shokufeh says

I like the way it looks, but I have several items to regularly charge. I’m assuming I’m not alone in lacking multiple easy-to-reach outlets in close proximity, and I think it’s inconvenient to go around the house collecting one’s gadgets every morning. I’d prefer to go to one spot (one-stop charging), even if it means the cords are visible. I guess the alternative would be getting an i-phone.

Anonymous says

Looks like a great idea – but, don’t forget that it can only be used with the older model wall plates. Most people living in a newer home or who have modernized their home will have the new square faced plates….

Org Junkie says

You guys are so smart! Love the feedback!

Debi says

Well, I think the little thing is as cute as can be, but can you believe I don’t even own a cell phone?!! One of the 3 people on the planet, I think.

Amy says

I have cords dangling on my kitchen counter… they’re on the little counter next to the fridge, so they’re not in the way, but they look messy. I love this little gadget– I’m going to have to show it to DH and see what he thinks!

Gem says

OK, not to introduce a note of dissent, but does a plugged-in charger not charging anything actually pull electricity if the gadget isn’t pulling the electricity in? Inquiring minds want to know!

OK, just went to Ask.com and found some links.

This one seems to think not really.

This is an AP article, so it’s the only article actually referenced in about 20 listings. So, the answer is yes, but less than other things you leave plugged in like your TV, VCR, DVD player, Xbox console, printer, computer monitor, etc.

Personally, it’s worth the couple of cents if I can a)find my phone when I need it and b)know it will actually be charged when I find it.

Ginny says

Wow, lots of comments :) I have been doing a lot of research on ways of improving the environment while also saving money. Here is a good article, http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/11/treehugger_home_2.php I also have some friends that have that Kill-o-watt thing & the cel chargers do use energy while plugged in, along with anything else. A lot of people that are trying to use less electricity actually keep all there electronics/appliances on one of those strips that can be turned off. Even if you don’t care about the impact of the environment, just the saving money factor is a plus for me, lol. I do really like the idea of the cel phone being on the wall like this thing though!

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says

Hold the phone! I’ve got to get us a couple of those!

Candace says

This is so cool! I wonder if my husband’s blackberry would fit in the pocket. I get so tired of seeing it laying out on the counter everynight. Thanks for sharing.

Cyndi says

I’ve been *wondering* what to do with our phone chargers/phones that seem to always be laying on the bar in the family room every night… Maybe something like this would be a good solution. Hm. Though, others do have some good points about possible drawbacks. I’d love to see a post somewhere about different solutions for all of the electronics and chargers that seem to be taking over the horizontal areas of my house!

Munchkin Land says

Ohhhhh… that is awesome! I’ll definitely have to check that out. Thanks for doing these item spotlights. They’re so informative!

Once Upon a Dream... says

I love the pocket idea! Why didn’t I invent this?!?!? lol I’ll have to see what Steve thinks about getting a set. I certainly dislike have those silly cords going everywhere.

Mom of 3 says

Very cool!

cindy pat says

I am new to blogging, but I love reading yours, and all the great ideas. I am a mess most of the time. Love the wall socket for your phone. love all of your ideas. my blog is living by faith. blogspot.com

Comments