Slow Cooking Thursday ~ Southwestern Chicken

I tried this recipe last week and my family really enjoyed it! Again quick, easy and healthy is my goal:

Southwestern Chicken
(from Fix It and Forget It Lightly by Phyllis Pellman Good)

2 15 ¼ oz. cans corn, drained (I think one can would have been better)
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
16 oz. jar chunky salsa, divided
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

1. Combine corn, black beans and ½ cup salsa in slow cooker.

2. Top with chicken. Pour remaining salsa over chicken.

3. Cover. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 7-8 hours. Do not overcook!

4. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover 5 minutes for cheese to melt.

Note: This dish goes well with rice.

Head on over to Sandra’s to see more Slow Cooking Thursday recipes!

Filed under: Recipes-Slow Cooker

Comments

19 Responses to Slow Cooking Thursday ~ Southwestern Chicken

Anonymous says

That sounds yummy. I finally received a slow cooker for christmas, maybe I’ll try your recipe next week, since I don’t have all the ingredients this week.
    Kim

Anonymous says

Yumm! I got a nice BIG slow cooker a couple months ago so it fits my family of 5 real nice. I’m so trying this.

org junkie says

Wow Kim and Susanne, both with new crockpots…awesome! I’ve noticed that mine is getting a little on the small side now that we are a family of five so I may also have to look at getting a new one also.
    Have a great day!
    Laura

Char says

This sounds yummy! Wednesday’s are my slow cooker night so this might be it for next week. Last night I just put pre-browned ground beef and sloppy joe mix in the crock pot for quick sloppy joes when we all got home from afterschool activities.

Aimee says

Sounds like a quick and easy meal! What a great idea. I love my slow cooker. :)

gail says

I have a very similar recipe and I think I just use one can of corn. And we eat it over tortilla chips, yummy! Sounds good!

Anonymous says

Yummy Laura, this sounds delicious, definitely a must try for us :)

Anonymous says

Sounds good! I have one almost identical to this I make called Chicken Santa Fe. You use corn, black beans, salsa and chicken, but then toward the end, you blend in some cream cheese. We usually leave off the grated cheese after we mix the cream cheese in. There’s only one thing I warn people about before making this recipe – it tastes great, but it doesn’t look great. When you mix the white cream cheese in with the salsa based liquid (red), it comes out sort of pink! :) Tastes great, but not the prettiest thing I make! We eat ours over fat free tortilla chips since my hubby doesn’t like rice.

Have a great day Laura!!!

Anonymous says

My mouth is watering! I love salsa!

Angela says

I was just looking for new recipes to go with my new slow cooker. Thanks for this mouth watering one.

Anonymous says

Hi,

I have been visiting your site for a couple of weeks now and i am really enjoying it. I love getting organized!

This recipe will be on the menu for next week–thanks!

Anonymous says

This looks really great. In the busyness of the last couple of months, I haven’t been trying any of your recipes. I think I may try this one on Monday.

Anonymous says

This sounds delish! I will give it a try next week!

Anonymous says

Sounds yummy…I’m adding this to my ‘to try’ list.

momrn2 says

Perfect. This will be made this weekend. I was wondering what to make. I have all of these ingredients on hand… and so… Southwestern Chicken it will be!

Anonymous says

Thanks for posting this–I can’t wait to give it a try. It sounds so easy and yummy.

I just wanted to let you know that I posted the recipe for the Turkey Sausage Bake that you asked about–we really liked it.

mindi woodhave says

I have used this recipe! I love it and i can’t find my book. I am so glad you put this on the web. I am supposed to make it for dinner and i couldn’t remember how many cans of beans to use.

You will love this recipe!

Comments