Slow Cooker Beef Stew

Here is my recipe for a family favorite that is TRIED and TRUE! You can not go wrong with this recipe and if it’s a recipe I’m recommending you know it has to be quick and easy.

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

2 pounds beef chuck or stew meat, cut in 1″ cubes (or you can even buy stew meat already cut up)

1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 1/2 cups beef broth

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 clove garlic

1 bay leaf

1 tsp paprika

4 carrots sliced (I throw in a bunch of baby carrots already washed and peeled and ready to go)

2 cans of potatoes (this is the trick…whole canned potatoes don’t go soggy)

2 onions, chopped (I just throw in big chunks so I can scoop them out afterwards)

1 stalk celery, sliced

Please meat in cooker (no need to brown first). Mix flour, salt and pepper and pour over meat; stir to coat meat with flour. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or high 4-6 hours. Stir stew thoroughly before serving.

I usually serve this with delicious Garlic Bread made in the bread machine.  Doesn’t get any easier than that!

Printable Grocery List

Slow Cooker Beef Stew 1

Filed under: Recipes-Slow Cooker
The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

49 Responses to Slow Cooker Beef Stew

Anonymous says

Yum, I’ll have to try this! I love to make beef stew on the stovetop in a soup pot, but have never tried it in the crockpot. Duh, I know, I’m not the smartest girl on the block :)

Hope you’re having a great week!

Kathleen Marie says

This sounds wonderful. I LOVE stew! Especially with homemade bread :) Thanks!

Robyn Tippins says

Laura, you should post your blog feed so those of us who use RSS readers can subscribe easily. Thanks!

Jenny says

I love making stew and have never thought of canned potatoes…thanks for this tip!

kel says

Laura- do you think this would work replacing the 1/4c flour w/ CORN STARCH to make it gluten free? Would you guess the same amount?? It seems like you do some GF recipes and I’m still learning to tweak- THANKS! Kel

Hey Kel, yes I definitely think it would work. Maybe do a little less though because you don’t want it to end up too thick. I often just use rice flour as well.

Let me know how it turns out!

Lisa says

Just a quick question regarding your Slow Cooker Beef Stew…do you drain the potatoes before adding to the stew?

Ashley says

This sounds wonderful!

Christi says

This sounds great! We are buying a half side of beef soon, so I think we may have to give this a try!

Robyn says

I made this last night. It was delicious. I had never used canned potatoes, but they were excellent, they really didn’t get soggy. The only thing was the recipe could have used more liquid. Mine wasn’t really a stew, you didn’t need a bowl and couldn’t use a spoon. But wonderful eaten on a plate with a fork and knife!

dawn says

i’ve been searching for a hearty beef stew recipe (like the old dinty moore beef stew, but healthier). i’m going to give this a try! thanks!

Jessica (Cheapskate Life) says

I really like the fact that I don’t even have to buy anything for this recipe! Well, I might have to buy some more celery, but hey! Nothin beats a recipe that I don’t have to spend a lot of money on! Also, I read somewhere that if you’re out of worstershire, you can use A-1 sauce instead. I tried it with a recipe and it turned out pretty good!

Annette W says

I’ve been looking for a nontomato beef stew and look forward to this!

Mandy says

Do you think that I could do this as a freezer meal? If I put everything in one container and froze it, do you think that I could take it out, thaw it and then put it in the crock pot?

I’ve never tried that myself but it’s definitely worth a shot. Let me know how it turns out.

Cheryl says

In the picture you have mushrooms in your stew. Did you cook these in the slow cooker as well?

Yes I had some fresh mushrooms leftover from a fondue so I just threw them in as well. They cook up great in the slow cooker.

Cat says

Do you drain the cans of potatoes?

Vanessa says

Laura –

I made this last night and it was delicious. I had already seasoned the meat before freezing it as I had intended it for another dish – but it just added more flavor. Also I didn’t have cans of potatoes, I used raw. If you peel and halve them and then soak them in water – while you are preparing the rest of the dish – I find they don’t get mushy in the crockpot.

Thanks for a delicious recipe.

So glad you like it and thanks for the tip on the potatoes!